Excellence Magazine Gets Some Sack: 997 More Involving Than 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Excellence Magazine Gets Some Sack: 997 More Involving Than 991

Excellence stops limitless gushing over 991 in June 2012 issue, page 85:

"We've drivin modern Carreras (997) that kept us more interested (than 991)........"

GTS and GT3 are called out........

UJ
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And we get the repeat of what happens whenever a new 911 evolution releases. Seriously, I have C+D articles going back to the 60's and each gen they say the same things... The new ones are improved overall, but softer, bigger/heavier, less involving, and with less of the quirks (handling) that defined the 911. They even said the same things when the "long wheelbase" 911 came out at the end of the 60's. EDIT: I 100% agree that the transition from 996 to 997 is an exception for many.

The 991 is a great car for sure, a needed evolution to keep up with the Joneses... but each gen has it's strengths and quirks. I personally can't decide on which era I like the most... each has it's endearing traits.

Last edited by Gliding_Serpent; 05-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew the 991 wasn't for me when the reviewers said the car's ride was much improved over the 997. I'm not looking for a Lexus.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpowders
I knew the 991 wasn't for me when the reviewers said the car's ride was much improved over the 997. I'm not looking for a Lexus.

I'm thrilled that there is such praise coming to the 997.2 after the 991 release.
Personally, I love the 991 look and would not hesitate buying one but...(you had to know there was a "but" coming.)
My car is so cushy now that I can't imagine a sports car being any more refined interior wise... It's a sports car first and foremost and should have some of the creature comforts withheld...
I'd like the full leather interior but after that if it doesn't add to performance I'm not interested... No Bose, no color stitching, no Nav, and NO anything that doesn't make the car perform better...
I can live Spartan.... I guess I'm talking GT 3 or something on that order...
If you kept the options strictly performance on a new 997 you could still come in under 100K and have a super Porsche.
I like a sports car loud enough that a radio upgrade is a waste of money...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

It should be noted that they were driving a 991 and RS 4.0 back to back.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
It should be noted that they were driving a 991 and RS 4.0 back to back.
A conveniently omitted detail from the OP.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Gliding_Serpent
And we get the repeat of what happens whenever a new 911 evolution releases.
Bollocks. The 996's demise went quite unlamented. Virtually all reviews favoured the 997 on exterior and interior aesthetics as well as chassis handling. And the advent of the S model quashed any complaints about the carrying-over of the 996's powerplant. If anything the 997 rectified much of what many saw as Porsche having strayed from its proud lineage. It wasn't until the 997.2 when Porsche softened, quieted and again (taillights) garishly ventured afield aesthetically, that complaints again resurfaced. The 991 boldly side-steps the lineage of the 911. For some it's exactly what they want. Some of those are newcomers to Porsche for whom the 997 simply demanded more driver involvement than suited their taste. Some are the type for whom driving the newest model takes priority, and they would profess to adore the car no matter what. All of which proves that purely from a marketing standpoint, Porsche is succeeding in its goal to make the car more appealing to a wider market. Whether or not diluting the 911 DNA as much they've done will prove successful in terms of overall sales, is too early to tell.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Bollocks. The 996's demise went quite unlamented. Virtually all reviews favoured the 997 on exterior and interior aesthetics as well as chassis handling. And the advent of the S model quashed any complaints about the carrying-over of the 996's powerplant. If anything the 997 rectified much of what many saw as Porsche having strayed from its proud lineage. It wasn't until the 997.2 when Porsche softened, quieted and again (taillights) garishly ventured afield aesthetically, that complaints again resurfaced. The 991 boldly side-steps the lineage of the 911. For some it's exactly what they want. Some of those are newcomers to Porsche for whom the 997 simply demanded more driver involvement than suited their taste. Some are the type for whom driving the newest model takes priority, and they would profess to adore the car no matter what. All of which proves that purely from a marketing standpoint, Porsche is succeeding in its goal to make the car more appealing to a wider market. Whether or not diluting the 911 DNA as much they've done will prove successful in terms of overall sales, is too early to tell.
+1
Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

Very thoughtful comment. I agree on all points except for the notion that the 997.2 was a garish venture afield (I noted in your reply to my post the other day you mentioned your dislike of the 997.2 tail lights). When the 997.2 first came out, being the owner of a 997.1, I made the same comment about the tail lights (I had all red custom tail lights on my 997.1 and thought the 997.2 tail lights were unnecessary and detracted from the simplicity of the car), and I also loathed the DRLs for being too "Audi-looking) (although I had to admit that I really liked the 997.2 front end/air intake redesign right away). Over time, my objection to the 997.2 tail lights waned and I started to appreciate them, no more or no less than the 997.1s mind you...they were different but didn't take away from the classic lines/look of the car. I think they look amazing on the 911 Sport Classic, for example, with the "clear option" (which I have on my 4 GTS and which provides additional contrast that I think is really an interesting look). The 991, however, is where I think the line was crossed.

Anyway, just my two cents...
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some valid points there, but you are only talking about one transition (996->997). Could the same be said about all other 911 updates? Using this one example doesn't exactly cover the lifetime of the 911.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997 and 996 More Engaging

Originally Posted by sapman
A conveniently omitted detail from the OP.
No ommision- 4.0 was driven, but both 997 GT3 and GTS and 996 GT3 were highlighted as more engaging.

Check out the article.

Whatever the case, first example of Excellence not praying to a false god (partly joking here)

Enjoy your drive

UJ
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I'm waiting to jump in after Vern, Boolala and Quadcammer get here.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I'm waiting to jump in after Vern, Boolala and Quadcammer get here.
Too funny.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
I'm thrilled that there is such praise coming to the 997.2 after the 991 release.
Personally, I love the 991 look and would not hesitate buying one but...(you had to know there was a "but" coming.)
My car is so cushy now that I can't imagine a sports car being any more refined interior wise... It's a sports car first and foremost and should have some of the creature comforts withheld...
I'd like the full leather interior but after that if it doesn't add to performance I'm not interested... No Bose, no color stitching, no Nav, and NO anything that doesn't make the car perform better...
I can live Spartan.... I guess I'm talking GT 3 or something on that order...
If you kept the options strictly performance on a new 997 you could still come in under 100K and have a super Porsche.
I like a sports car loud enough that a radio upgrade is a waste of money...
new 997? meaning .2 love? not this again....
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

ha-this is fun to watch-

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine Gets Some Sack: 997 More Involving Than 991