Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the 997, but not new to Porsche. Let's get this party started.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
0utlier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 997, but not new to Porsche. Let's get this party started.

I was a Rennlist member years ago when I had a 928. When I sold it, and became Porsche-less, my Rennlist membership gathered dust. I just now bought an '06 997 with 29,250 miles for $39.8K. The only reason I post that is I know people are always wanting to know year/miles/price.

Now I'm back in the Porsche fold, but in a different sub-forum of course. I've been lurking for a little while trying to get a feel for the tone and players in here. It's definitely different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

From memory, the 928 guys were VERY hands on with their cars. You could get a defacto engineering degree by reading some of those threads. In some respects you didn't have much of a choice but to become somewhat of a mechanic if you owned a 928. Nobody else was gonna touch it.

In here people don't tend to be so hands on with their cars. As something as simple as an oil change on the .1 many people here are paying hundreds of dollars to an indie or the dealer. STOP THAT! If you can participate in this forum you can change your own oil and filter and save money and trouble. It's so easy even a caveman can do it.

In the 928 forum I learned much about the inner-workings of that V8, the electricals, and everything else. Many of those nutbags would stuff twin screws or other surper-chargers under the hoods which made for some violently fast 928's. Fun times.

Not much tech talk here, but that's OK. It's a different forum and a different car.

Here are some pics both old and new.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kool, the firm encourages Pictures. Enjoy.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome back Outlier. Good to have another DIYer on the forum. You'll find a few of us weekend mech warriors with a torque wrench or two on hand here. Wish there were more but that will happen as the 997 comes of age and it becomes a necessity to DIY much like the 928. BTW, I just did the 3rd radiator add, bleed the brakes, oil change, and partial coolant flush last week on my '08 C2S. Next pre-emptive maintenance project is the WP and a mod - B&M SSK. Just a fun car to work on all together and learn about. Also did lots of maintenance and mods including a bolt on AA supercharger to my prior e36 m3... miss my old girl and the whine of the SC at times. May consider force induction for the 911 as well once the warranty and CPO runs out in 2 yrs.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

for DIY there is some info here and a ton of info on renntech site. also on planet-9.
it is just a google away.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, congrats on the new acquire and back to the Porsche family.

First thing I would do is swap out the amber side markers for clear ones....
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
0utlier
Instructor

I've already done some super easy things like 7/15 spacers and hardwired radar detector. The clear markers are on the list. On this car it's stupid easy it seems. Pop out/Pop in. On the 928 you had to actually slice the marker in half, then glue the clear on the back half, then re-install.

The 997 is a fun car. Any reason for a trip out of the neighborhood is taken.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Well, congrats on the new acquire and back to the Porsche family.

First thing I would do is swap out the amber side markers for clear ones....
Then the tailights and running lights... and then the exhaust, headers etc... and what about a nice red front seat belt to match the brakes? (Who says we don't do things, right?) Ultimately, I think now as warranties are dropping off the 997.1's we'll be seeing more and more do-it-yer-self mods. Welcome new guy. Your comments are great! And... I still love the 928, Porsches attempt to wean the public off of the rear engine platform.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 AM
socalbusdev
Intermediate

+1 on warrantees. In 2 years, look out for White Frankenstein. I've got my eyes on a 428 side oiler and some tubs and slapper bars out back. 24-mos and counting to GO time!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

more DIY posts here is something I greatly look forward to. it's quite a bit harder to find good information here than it was in the past with other brands. On my previous BMWs a bunch of us would gather on weekends and do brakes, change diffs, drop suspensions and install coilovers and such. It seems the 997 groups are not quite there yet, at least for me locally. Most things I am still trying to figure out without breaking anything, or what I can and can't do without a computer of some sort.

Last edited by IslandS52; 04-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
more DIY posts here is something I greatly look forward to. it's quite a bit harder to find good information here, on my previous BMWs a bunch of us would gather on weekends and do brakes, change diffs, drop suspensions and install coilovers and such. It seems the 997 groups are not quite there yet, at least for me locally. Most things I am still trying to figure out without breaking anything, or what I can and can't do without a computer of some sort.
I think that sums it up right there. I used to do a lot of DIY on my cars and it didn't require much. A wrench set, some pliers and screwdrivers and maybe a hammer. Where will that get you these days? Pretty obvious they don't want us to tinker with these things anymore as difficult as they make it. Have you tried to change spark plugs on a 997? It's not impossible but I wouldn't have the kids within earshot while at it.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
rag1998
Intermediate

Congrats! Beautiful car..
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice 997 and welcome back to the fold. Looks like you got a very good deal on a car with that few miles. My '07 just hit 24k ... just a baby!!!

Interesting your take on the DIY opportunities, vs. the 928. I wonder about the "advancement" of electronic and computer-controlled functions since your ... what ... early 90s ride?

My DIY adventures so far have been limited, particularly as I've still got CPO coverage, but have switched out the clear sidemarkers and replaced a burned out taillight bulb. Like I said, "limited."
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice color! Atlas gray will someday take over the world! Mwah ha ha ha ha...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

Welcome back.

I'm kinda in the same boat except I still have the 928. When switching back and forth I'm still amazed at how different the experience is in the 2 cars.

I too have noticed the difference between the 997 and 928 forums. I have never seen another car forum that has the dedication and technical expertise as the guys on the 928 side. I guess they have had a lot more years to learn their craft. There is very little "nuts and bolts stuff" here but you can find much more on the 996 forum as much of the info applies to the 997. I changed the clutch in my 997 using info from the 996 guys.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Have you tried to change spark plugs on a 997? It's not impossible but I wouldn't have the kids within earshot while at it.
LOL, I had my moments the first time around but this is very doable. At first I was anxious about how hard this would be... based on how much the dealer wanted($1,200), reviews by others re the project, and $hit... it's upside down. After ~3 hours of cautious OJT I came thru it realizing that it's really not that bad. Yes it's not as easy as my previous M3 - you have to jack up the car(easy with Jackpoint), remove the exhaust manifold(pre-soak six bolts with mech wrench and get lots of different socket extensions), skip removing the exhaust, and work upside down(more fun for this old cave diver). The plugs are $60 from pelican parts so for the savings of $1,140 or ~$345/hr x 3 DIY hrs... very well worth it. That was my 1st go at it so it should take no more than 2 hrs next time. On a DIY scale of 10 with 1 = swabbing out side lights and 10 = engine rebuild... I consider this project a 4 in terms of difficulty due to the extra steps normally not required with other car types. Yes... intimidating the 1st time and that's where the stealership makes their $$$ but actually very doable once you get thru it.

Quick Reply: New to the 997, but not new to Porsche. Let's get this party started.