Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found my car; what should the price be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Ecloebl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found my car; what should the price be?

I have been thinking about getting a 997.2 for several months. I had a dealer offer me a low mileage 2009 Carrera S with PDK for $67,500, but I could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I was not crazy about the color (PRG), and that was a factor. I was looking at a new Lexus GS350 F-Sport when I stumbled upon a base Carrera being sold by a local private owner. It is a white, one owner 2009 model with 14,675 miles, PDK, Bose Audio, Nav, XM, sunroof, and heated, power seats. The rear tires need to be replaced yesterday. One rim has some minor road (curb) rash on the edge. Other than that, the car is pristine, without a single rock chip, door ding, etc. It looks absolutely like new. The owner is asking $65,000, but says he will take off $500 for new rear tires. I think his price is high, close to KBB retail. My opinion is that it should sell for something closer closer to $60K. Another factor for me is the fact that here in Arizona, there is no sales tax on preowned cars bought from individuals. If you buy from a dealer in the city, you pay 9.1% sales tax, which would be almost $6000 on this car. What do you think? You can see the car at: http://goo.gl/8aWae
Old 05-24-2012, 04:42 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

PDK w.o sport chrono is a problem for most folks here and may be a problem at resale. It can be added per a member here for around 2k all in (IIRC). Other then that, it looks good... I would say this is a mid 50's car trade in and should be very low 60's in private sale. Let the owner sit on it for a bit and see what happens (only if you are willing to possibly miss out on this one).
Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Ecloebl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PasPar2
PDK w.o sport chrono is a problem for most folks here and may be a problem at resale. It can be added per a member here for around 2k all in (IIRC). Other then that, it looks good... I would say this is a mid 50's car trade in and should be very low 60's in private sale. Let the owner sit on it for a bit and see what happens (only if you are willing to possibly miss out on this one).
The car has been for sale for a month, and mine was the only call he has had. He started asking $69k and has dropped it to $64.5k.

Last edited by Ecloebl; 05-24-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

sports chrono is a good add-on...i thought it was closer to 1K to have it done.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

don't rear tires cost more than 500?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Ecloebl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jason952
don't rear tires cost more than 500?
$450 to $650 from Discount Tire, $850 from the P-Store.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately your title "my car" means that your frame of mind is not the best, while entering in this negotiation. And I understand that because I usually feel the same, when I am in the market and find a car that I like.

It is not "your car" but "a car you like, which could be yours if things work out". If you manage to own this like I said it, then you can manage to get a good deal. The easiest thing is to "rationalize" yourself into a couple of grand more just to close the deal. So The low sixties for private sale that someone mentioned should become 60k firm with rear tires and the SC which is a definite must add on...

Good luck, and enjoy the search. Its a rewarding experience when you find the right car at the right price.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

He's dreaming at 69. I'd say low 60's plus he has tires replaced. Highest, i'd go. You have to get SC. It's night and day difference for a PDK car. He will have trouble selling it without SC. So offer $61K or so.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
chinole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rodsky
He's dreaming at 69. I'd say low 60's plus he has tires replaced. Highest, i'd go. You have to get SC. It's night and day difference for a PDK car. He will have trouble selling it without SC. So offer $61K or so.
+1

Start at 60k as point of negotiation and factor in PPI...

If he sells to dealer, he'll probably get less than your offer.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,062 Posts

As a point of reference, I paid $66k from a dealer over 6mo ago for this nearly exact same car '09 997.2, Base carrera, 14k miles, white/BLACK, 19" wheels (that car has 18"s), Sports Chrono, MANUAL, nav, sat radio, power seats w/memory, IPOD audio interface for PCM, Dealer CPO, 1 owner, no drama Carfax, 2 minor warranty claims, no DME issues, with 4 brand new tires. CPO is worth a few K, about, tires about 1.5k all said and done, plus add in about 6mo depreciation.

I'd expect to pay very low 60s for that car not CPO, needing tires.

I feel I got a fair deal at the time.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with the relationship sport chrono has to PDK, why is it a must, could someone explain?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buddy911t
I'm not familiar with the relationship sport chrono has to PDK, why is it a must, could someone explain?
I'll let someone else explain the Sport Chrono inner workings but it is a pretty neat piece of equipment in conjunction with the PDK trans.

THere are two additional modes that the trans can be set at just by pushing buttons on the dash. It allows you to engage the launch mode which is a party all by itself. Sports Chrono changes the mapping of the trans and speeds up shifti time by leaps and bounds... It changes the shocks and suspension to a much stiffer ride .. It makes your seven speed trans into a six speed... and I think it even lowers the car by a half inch when activated...
Best $1500. I spent on options for that car....It will put a smile on your face....
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
A4EP
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Having just gone through this process of buying a car (pick mine up on Saturday) I can tell you he is priced quite high. His Carfax report shows the car was a lease and looking at the in service date the car went off lease at the start of this month.

Now why is this important? In 2009 the residual value for a lease on a base 997 was 56%. So that is what he bought the car for, find out the original sticker and you can see how much he has marked it up which should help you set your baseline for what you should pay.

I have also bought a PDK without SportChrono but I used that to my advantage in the negotiation and am having it installed before I take delivery of my car, the part is about $1,200 and then 2hrs of labor. Work that cost into the deal as well. I agree with the others, your target should be about $60k but if you love the car don't let a couple grand get in the way of closing if there are no others out there that meet your tastes. I know I could have found a car for about $2k less than I negotiated if I had waited a couple more months but I decided that personally it was worth the slight premium to get my preferred color combo and PDK now and enjoy it this summer.

Good Luck and enjoy the process.

Last edited by A4EP; 05-25-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
I'll let someone else explain the Sport Chrono inner workings but it is a pretty neat piece of equipment in conjunction with the PDK trans.

THere are two additional modes that the trans can be set at just by pushing buttons on the dash. It allows you to engage the launch mode which is a party all by itself. Sports Chrono changes the mapping of the trans and speeds up shifti time by leaps and bounds... It changes the shocks and suspension to a much stiffer ride .. It makes your seven speed trans into a six speed... and I think it even lowers the car by a half inch when activated...
Best $1500. I spent on options for that car....It will put a smile on your face....
Roughly correct. Although, it doesn't lower or stiffen the car. Nothing lowers the car by pressing a button. PASM equipped cars are 10mm lower and Sports PASM are 20mm. PASM is what stiffens the shocks and firms up the ride, not SC. On the 997, when you hit the sport button it activates sport mode in PASM automatically. I often times just turn PASM back to normal.

As far as sports Chrono, I have SC and PDK. As soon as I fire up the car, I put it in sport mode. It makes the car more sporty (especially in auto mode) and the throttle mapping etc., is just perfect. I would hate having a PDK without SC. In manual mode, sport or sport plus just add to the sportiness.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree SC was a must, sport mode with PASM off is my normal mode, except in heavy traffic, when 1-2 shifts are a bit jerky.

Quick Reply: I found my car; what should the price be?