Sponsored by:

Starter advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM
louie007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter advice

Hi everyone i have an 06 c4s which is having issues when its hot it has a slow crank sometimes feels like its not going to turn over i have read about the alternator to starter cable harness which i think thats the problem now heres my question car has 62000 miles on it its been a great car it has still original starter just wondering since the mechanic is going to remove everything to get to the cable should i change the starter thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just from what you've posted it seems a little premature to start replacing parts since it doesn't sound like you have diagnosed the problem. Is the battery original?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 PM
louie007
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkw911
Just from what you've posted it seems a little premature to start replacing parts since it doesn't sound like you have diagnosed the problem. Is the battery original?
JW yes the battery is new and the fact that it happens only when the car is hot on cold starts she fires up no problem , could be that harness which is a comon problem or the starter those are the only two things im pretty sure its the cable but since the starter is original i thought about replacing it at the same time makes it easy to change .
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't know the labor involved to get to the starter vs. the cost of a starter but you have researched this and it is probably a amount significant hours to get to the starter so I would replace it.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
McCulla
Pro

IIRC, the starter wiring harness and the alternator cable are separate issues, but can result in the same symptoms. I have to tell you that my 05 did this and when I took it in to my tech, he was able to tell me that both the starter wiring harness and the alternator cable had already been replaced, so advised me to replace the battery. After searching here, I got the correct/matching Interstate brand battery for less than half the cost of the factory Porsche one and guess what, it didn't help! So, back to the shop and the Interstate was replaced with a Porsche battery (about $275!) and my car is cranking like mad, even in hot Florida, after stop and go traffic! I know it sounds odd, but that's just my experience.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me you need a new starter. New batt replacing old is just a band aid.

Reduce cost by going with a refurbished unit or just buy new.

Quick Reply: Starter advice