Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 addiction

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
MikeCs2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just got my car too. My story is very boring so I wont go into it. I picking it up Saturday. Glad to be here as well.

Mike
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too funny, I was planning to go to that brake session, too. The one in Mendon, right? But, as always, life had other plans and there was work I needed to do. I should've gone, oh well. I did the same last year, went as a guest to the spring DE at the Glen since, again, I didnt have time to do it. This fall is looking bad for time to do the fall DE. Wife has too many projects for me around the house and I hate hiring people when I know I'll do things the right way and cheaper.

Which autox are you doing? Bmwcca in RIT? I've been thinking of doing one with the wife to get her into the hobby, slowly. But, using her GTI instead of the pcar.

You ride with the GVCC?

Originally Posted by J. Kid
Glad to see there are some local people on Rennlist. I've started getting involved with Niagara PCA. Went to a brake tech session, attended a DE as a guest a few months ago to sit in on the classroom portion and to see what it was all about. Planning to do a few autocross events later this year and registered for my 1st DE in October. The local PCA seems very well organized with a great group of people. Trying to get the wife interested but she afraid of hurting the car. I guess that is better than her throwing it into a ditch at an obscene speed or having to stop her from doing burnouts
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Way to funny Tim. Yes - great post and I fully agree with the intoxicating effect of the 911's. I cannot imagine driving anything else. I spend way too much time on this forum, 4 years later still love the sound of the car, and am always on the hunt for a new one. Maybe a GT3 RS would satisfy that itch. Let's see how it will take J. Kid to move into his second 911... .
GT3RS? So much for the cab, eh?

These cars are brilliant. I've been lucky to be in them all my life and now that I have one, I can see myself having several ha ha. one can dream right?

J kid very sharp btw!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Great story. Enjoyed it.

Welcome and beautiful car!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 AM
ahimanic
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done on your recent acquisitions of 911s. Counting the months down to join you guys soon!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Too funny, I was planning to go to that brake session, too. The one in Mendon, right? But, as always, life had other plans and there was work I needed to do. I should've gone, oh well. I did the same last year, went as a guest to the spring DE at the Glen since, again, I didnt have time to do it. This fall is looking bad for time to do the fall DE. Wife has too many projects for me around the house and I hate hiring people when I know I'll do things the right way and cheaper.

Which autox are you doing? Bmwcca in RIT? I've been thinking of doing one with the wife to get her into the hobby, slowly. But, using her GTI instead of the pcar.

You ride with the GVCC?
The brake session in Mendon was a nice low key but informative event. About a dozen car nuts drinking coffee in a nice organized garage and picking up mechanical tricks of the trade on a Saturday morning

I'm planning on doing the autocross in Letchworth in September -seems to be a joint venture of the PCA and BMWCCA. http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/EventDescr...Autocross.aspx

Been riding with the GVCC regularly for the last 10 years...very well run club..every year the group seems to get faster. I remember being able to count the local cat 1&2 riders on one hand. Now there are about a dozen that really have upped the local club race competition but I still have fun trying to scrap it out

For the last 17 years my wife had 3 criteria for her cars. Good fuel economy, reliability and low purchase price. She didn't like cars and saw no reason to spend extra money on a piece of transportation. The Boxster opened her eyes to a new world of driving beyond getting to a destination. After some prodding she did the unimaginable for her...traded in a perfectly running 2 year old Honda econobox. I explained how a golf TDI has nearly the same hwy mpg's as a Prius but was much more fun to drive so she considered the Honda to VW switch and went to the dealer with me. After test driving the Golf she liked it. I then convinced her to try out a GTI just for comparison. A few minutes into the drive she hit the gas turned and gave me a and knew she wasn't having the oil burner. She loves her GTI and thanks me frequently for pushing her into the car swap. Now I just need to convince her to dip her toe into Autocross.

Last edited by J. Kid; 07-13-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Sorry to hijack. The car is lovely but what is the bike on the rack (brand)? Further, how about the wheels. They remind me of old Rolf's but what's intriguing is the alternating cross/parallel spoke pattern - I can't recall ever seeing that pattern.
The bike is a Specialized Roubaix. The wheels are Reynolds "KOM" The spoke pattern looks different because they are radial laced on the non-drive side. It's my race day bike...it only gets "trailered" to races due to having sticky sew-up tires and carbon rims. A real PITA to fix a flat, tires wear out 4x faster than normal and easy to knock the wheels out of true but do they spin up quick and the grip around corners is amazing. During a criterium race it gives the opportunity to take a hard inside passing line that would put me skidding on the pavement on normal tread.

When I 1st inquired about DE's with an instructor he asked what concerns did I have about going on the track. Targa Tim's comments hit on my biggest fear "Beware that DE is a dead end road leading towards either purchasing a GT3/RS or modding your 997"
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Kid
The bike is a Specialized Roubaix. The wheels are Reynolds "KOM" The spoke pattern looks different because they are radial laced on the non-drive side. It's my race day bike...it only gets "trailered" to races due to having sticky sew-up tires and carbon rims. A real PITA to fix a flat, tires wear out 4x faster than normal and easy to knock the wheels out of true but do they spin up quick and the grip around corners is amazing. During a criterium race it gives the opportunity to take a hard inside passing line that would put me skidding on the pavement on normal tread.
Sorry, I know this isn't a bike forum so, the roof rack is the way to go, smart move. It may look ugly but makes life so much easier! I use Conti GP sew ups and they rarely fail due to punctures and last longer than clinchers. I'm an idiot savant at gluing so it doesn't bother me. Rubber side down!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

I always smh at all the Audi s and rs line fans. BMW always does it better. The 911 isn't even in the same league as either though the v8 m3 has the better power train than the fragile m97.

Congrats! You know you made the right choice and that's a fantastic thing.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Congrats......Beauty!

Tom
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeCs2
Hi, I just got my car too. My story is very boring so I wont go into it. I picking it up Saturday. Glad to be here as well.

Mike
Mike, Be sure to start a thread when you pick up your car (remember pics are a must) Since you won't sleep tonight I recommend not to bother trying. Might as well make plans now to do something more fruitful than attempting to sleep such as cleaning out the garage for your new baby!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh goodness... spandex wearing males around here....

Quick Reply: 911 addiction