Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned Klasse All in One Polish + Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. I find these two products to be AWESOME long lasting protection to the car's paint. My steps for a full detail (done 2x annually, when no paint correction is needed):

1. Wash car w/ dish soap to get all residual wax off the car.
2. Claybar car w/ detailer's spray + claybar (both Mother's product).
3. Apply 2x coats of Klasse All-in-One Polish
4. Apply 1x coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (allow to cure overnight)
5. Apply 1x coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (yes, again! Allow to cure overnight)
6. Apply Carnauba Wax topcoat (as many layers as you like).

Klasse is "old-school" in that it is acrylic vs. water based, and leaves a shine that has high gloss but less depth (vs. carnauba), however, that depth comes back with a vengeance when layered with Carnauba. The one benefit of Klasse is, it lasts FOREVER. It is seriously like adding a coating of clear armor to your paint.

I highly recommend the Klasse twins for anyone who is daily driving their P-car like I am all 4 seasons!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do drive all seasons...
Late Spring
Summer
Late Summer
Fall

I just avoid the Dihydrogen Monoxide.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Do you polish by hand or with a machine?

Originally Posted by Charolastra
Surprised no one has mentioned Klasse All in One Polish + Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. I find these two products to be AWESOME long lasting protection to the car's paint. My steps for a full detail (done 2x annually, when no paint correction is needed):

5. Apply 1x coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (yes, again! Allow to cure overnight)

Klasse is "old-school" in that it is acrylic vs. water based, and leaves a shine that has high gloss but less depth (vs. carnauba), however, that depth comes back with a vengeance when layered with Carnauba. The one benefit of Klasse is, it lasts FOREVER. It is seriously like adding a coating of clear armor to your paint.

I highly recommend the Klasse twins for anyone who is daily driving their P-car like I am all 4 seasons!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Do you polish by hand or with a machine?
I first started using Klasse ~8 years ago, and have progressed further and further up the detailing food chain: initially by hand (you will have the forearms of Popeye when done), by random orbital, by Porter Cable DACP, and most recently by Flex (much preferred).

Irrespective of application method, the product really is very legit, in my experience.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Klasse "twins" although I have found the Glaze to be hard to work with. You do need to let it cure, I found when I just used AIO that if I let it cure overnight I got a much better result when I topped it with a wax.

I bought a bonnet for my porter cable that I now use to buff out the SG.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vexed
I use the Klasse "twins" although I have found the Glaze to be hard to work with. You do need to let it cure, I found when I just used AIO that if I let it cure overnight I got a much better result when I topped it with a wax.

I bought a bonnet for my porter cable that I now use to buff out the SG.
Huh? You let AIO cure overnight? Or do you let SG cure overnight? IMHO, no need for the former (i.e.: AIO), DEFINITELY for the latter (SG). Wipe on, wipe off is a PITA with SG, as it needs time to properly harden* (*it's like "magic shell" for your car).

SG takes some time to get used to applying, but essentially, I follow a "less is more" approach. Apply it as thinly as possible.

My car still looks completely glossy 6 months after a proper AIO + SG application, even w/o wax. The carnauba is only really needed for the added "pop"....
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Huh? You let AIO cure overnight? Or do you let SG cure overnight? IMHO, no need for the former (i.e.: AIO), DEFINITELY for the latter (SG). Wipe on, wipe off is a PITA with SG, as it needs time to properly harden* (*it's like "magic shell" for your car).

SG takes some time to get used to applying, but essentially, I follow a "less is more" approach. Apply it as thinly as possible.

My car still looks completely glossy 6 months after a proper AIO + SG application, even w/o wax. The carnauba is only really needed for the added "pop"....
When I was using just AIO I had better results if I waited at least overnight before topping it with wax, to be clear I applied AIO and wiped it off then waited before the next coat.

I agree on the SG, less is more. With practice I am getting better but using a RO does help. And I agree that the carnuba is for the "pop" my latest application was P21S wax and it looked very nice.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I also use the Klasse system with my Flex. However dont understand the 2x AIO? My understanding was the AIO is a cleaner/polish/acrylic coating and that the 2nd app will just clean off the 1st app. The SG can be put on or layered a few times. For the SG I use a small spray bottle, spray it on the surface and wipe off. Very easy to use this way with the same effect as curing without the pain to buff off if you let it "cure"

BTW I use the Menzerna for any paint correction then the Klasse twins
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vern1
I also use the Klasse system with my Flex. However dont understand the 2x AIO? My understanding was the AIO is a cleaner/polish/acrylic coating and that the 2nd app will just clean off the 1st app. The SG can be put on or layered a few times. For the SG I use a small spray bottle, spray it on the surface and wipe off. Very easy to use this way with the same effect as curing without the pain to buff off if you let it "cure"

BTW I use the Menzerna for any paint correction then the Klasse twins
2x AIO is a bit redundant/overkill, I admit, and not really necessary unless you're **** retentive about detailing like I am. It won't, however, remove the first coat of polish. Polish is basically a very mild abrasive that can remove minor scratches/swirls* (*compounds are heavy duty scratch removers, and sealants/waxes fill the scratches/swirls). Polishing twice simply ensures you don't miss any spots. These days, I like to use the flex for the first application, and then do the 2nd coat by hand, so that I can manually address any residual imperfections in the paint using a 90 degree straight line polishing methodology* (*reference this video here, skip to 3:35 if impatient

As an aside, here is a pretty good video on paint correction, featuring a GORGEOUS 1958 speedster. Total car ****.

Note: I'm not affiliated with the shop above; I just really like this guy's attention to detail/detailing.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

What can I do to get scratches out of my clear bra? Is there a conditioner for it? Polished my car today and it looks beautiful except for the bra....
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Thanks for all the help!

I used Meguiars Swirl Remover. Sh** is dialed now.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I did the Optimum Poli-Seal and Opti-seal treatment today

With the grey you dont get the deep reflections like the dark colors but it still looks nice
Attached Images    
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

HARLEY WAX. http://www.harlywax.com/
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

^ Wow...that price is amazingly low. Have you tried this before?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

For those who have used both the flex and the griots machine, are the results better with the flex?

I'm not talking about the machine differences or the time to do the job, just the shine when done and ease of removing small paint issues and swirl marks.

Quick Reply: Waxing