Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

would a pack of Buicks get the same treatment?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the same time lets give some credit to the police for never issuing a ticket in so many years. As far as I know they only had trouble once with the police before and that was not for speeding . I mean the police knows about it for years and could have Nailed 40+ cars and impound them in case all of them crossed the 40 kph mark. The only sad thing is that its a fun run for a good cause with mature and safe drivers and somehow the run and its reputation is now at risk.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

I read once that regardless of speed limit, that 80% of driver's travel the safe speed completely irrelevent of speed limits in place. Most of the time that speed is higher than posted but occasionally it's a lower speed as well.

This study suggested that the actual speed of the majority of driver's should be what determines the actual speed limit on that particular stretch of roadway and that a speed limit should be in place only for the 20% that drive well under or over the average speed.

Unfortunately, this kind of policy wouldn't fill the city coffers.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
would a pack of Buicks get the same treatment?
I think anyone going 77mph in a 50mph area would get pulled over. They certainly would here in OK.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
I think anyone going 77mph in a 50mph area would get pulled over. They certainly would here in OK.
sure and rightfully so. Impounding is another matter.

In fact impounding is just crap. The govt does not have the right to private PROPERTY. It does have the right to suspend the DRIVER.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
sure and rightfully so. Impounding is another matter.

In fact impounding is just crap. The govt does not have the right to private PROPERTY. It does have the right to suspend the DRIVER.
I think it was in 2007 that a guy driving a Viper was clocked at 127mph in a 35 zone. Plainfield, Il. police confiscated the car. Case went thru the court system. Car is now their DARE car used in parades.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...t-racing-case/

B.C. sells Lamborghini forfeited in street racing case

Postmedia News | Jan 11, 2012 5:00 AM ET | Last Updated: Jan 11, 2012 1:33 AM ET

Les Bazso / Postmedia News files

RCMP Superintendent Norm Gaumont, head of Traffic Services in Surrey, shows the media seven of 13 high performance cars impounded at Bayview Towing in Surrey on Thursday September 1, 2011. Thirteen high-end cars were impounded for allegedly racing along Highway 99.

VANCOUVER — A high-performance Lamborghini seized last year after an alleged street racing incident involving a number of expensive vehicles has been sold, but the fate of three other seized vehicles still are in dispute with the owners.

Phil Tawtel, acting executive director of B.C.’s Civil Forfeiture Office, said Tuesday that the Lamborghini was sold by mutual consent with the owner.

No price for the exotic vehicle was released by the Civil Forfeiture Office, which said disclosing the price “could jeopardize the ongoing forfeiture negotiations.”

Tawtel said three of the five vehicles seized last year are still in dispute and court cases are pending.
Related

B.C. drivers seek to have road bans overturned after alleged 200 km/h street race

But he noted that the Civil Forfeiture Office had ceased its legal action against one of the pricey sport cars after “additional information came to light while the cases were ongoing.”

Last August, police impounded 13 flashy cars — a Ferrari, three Lamborghinis, three Nissans, two Maseratis, two Mercedes, an Audi and an Aston Martin — after they were observed driving at speeds upwards of 200 km/h going south from Richmond on Highway 99.

Witnesses said the cars were driving side-by-side and would slow down traffic so others in the pack could race ahead.

At the time, RCMP said the drivers — 12 men and one woman — were all under the age of 21, and six still had their novice driver’s licence.

One driver did not have a B.C. licence, and was using a foreign licence, police said.

Just one driver was the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving.

The Civil Forfeiture Office applied to seize five of the vehicles, alleging they had been used for a criminal purpose — excessive speeding.

In 2010, a $235,000 Ferrari impounded after a street race that reached speeds of 200 km/h was forfeited under the Civil Forfeiture Act.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

Default Vehicle impoundment

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...le-impoundment

Vehicle impoundment

To help keep our roads safe, police have the authority to take a vehicle off the road and impound it in a storage lot.
Impaired driving

Police in B.C. can now impound the vehicle driven by an impaired driver for between three and 30 days.
Impoundment for other reasons

Police may impound a vehicle for other reasons, too, including

driving while unlicensed or improperly licensed
driving while suspended or prohibited
excessive speeding (40km/hr or more over the posted limit), and
street racing or performing a stunt.

When the impoundment period ends, go to the impoundment lot to collect your vehicle. Be prepared to pay towing and storage fees.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I read once that regardless of speed limit, that 80% of driver's travel the safe speed completely irrelevent of speed limits in place. Most of the time that speed is higher than posted but occasionally it's a lower speed as well.

This study suggested that the actual speed of the majority of driver's should be what determines the actual speed limit on that particular stretch of roadway and that a speed limit should be in place only for the 20% that drive well under or over the average speed.

Unfortunately, this kind of policy wouldn't fill the city coffers.
+1000!

I seriously wish politicians get out of determining road rules and leave it up to actual experts!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

My oldest son got caught going 115 mph in a 45 zone back in 2010 driving my wifes S2000. He was a County Sheriff and wrote a ticket for 15 mph over and told him to get on probation and take a driver safety class. I suspect that he could have hit him with reckless driving and had the car towed. I didn't take any chances and hired a lawyer that worked as a prosecutor in that office. $300 and he took the class with zero points. We also got a discount on our insurance. That Sheriff was very cool.

He never drove the S2000 again after that incident. He rode his mountain bike everywhere until he paid me back my $300 and after that he could only borrow the F250 Diesel Truck which all the chicks dig in Washington State so I guess it wasn't too awfully bad.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by agreenway
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...le-impoundment

Vehicle impoundment

To help keep our roads safe, police have the authority to take a vehicle off the road and impound it in a storage lot.
Impaired driving

Police in B.C. can now impound the vehicle driven by an impaired driver for between three and 30 days.
Impoundment for other reasons

Police may impound a vehicle for other reasons, too, including

driving while unlicensed or improperly licensed
driving while suspended or prohibited
excessive speeding (40km/hr or more over the posted limit), and
street racing or performing a stunt.

When the impoundment period ends, go to the impoundment lot to collect your vehicle. Be prepared to pay towing and storage fees.
I can certainly understand impounding the car for impaired driving but taking it for speeding (40km over) is cruel and unusual punishment...................
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lugs H
I think it was in 2007 that a guy driving a Viper was clocked at 127mph in a 35 zone. Plainfield, Il. police confiscated the car.
Why did they feel the need to confiscate? He wasn't a school zone. Jeezzzeee.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
I LOVE when I visit Germany, no speed on roads that are deemed safe for high speed driving, then reasonable speed limits (130, 110, etc) around areas where lower speed is required (crossing a town, lots of exits, etc), AND the speed limit is DYNAMIC, meaning that it changes based on weather and traffic conditions... and literally everyone slows down when speed sign says so, as it just makes sense!
Germany's got it right! If we had the same comprehensive driver training here and higher licensing costs, I have the feeling that there would be both far fewer and far fewer bad drivers on the road and hence things would be safer without the strong arm of the law.
I don't know how NA got into such a mentality when it comes to driving, but it's quite unfortunate.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Renzsport
Germany's got it right! If we had the same comprehensive driver training here and higher licensing costs, I have the feeling that there would be both far fewer and far fewer bad drivers on the road and hence things would be safer without the strong arm of the law.
I don't know how NA got into such a mentality when it comes to driving, but it's quite unfortunate.
Exactly. It's not unusual for western Europeans to spend 6 months getting through the process of getting a driver's license. Here? Take an afternoon off and that should do it for most.

High on my list of what to improve in the US licensing process is to teach people what the left lane is for on the interstate and how to merge with traffic. Coming out of my subdivision involves getting onto a busy thoroughfare where right turn on red is allowed onto a merge lane they just built that must be 1/8 of a mile long. A complete waste of money as maybe 1 driver out of 20 understands how to use it. Instead, they sit there and wait for the green light clogging things up just like they did before the merge lane was built.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renzsport
Economic output.

Quick Reply: Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky