Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ea-to-sky.html

Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky
Four luxury vehicles were travelling 45 km/h over the speed limit
CBC News
Posted: Aug 7, 2012 3:26 PM PT

Police pulled over four Porsche drivers who were going over 125 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on Highway 99. Police pulled over four Porsche drivers who were going over 125 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on Highway 99. (WVPD)

Four Porsche drivers caught speeding on the Sea-to-Sky Highway on Saturday have had their vehicles impounded, just one week after West Vancouver police warned a similar group of speeding Porsche drivers to slow down.

In a written statement, Cpl. Fred Harding said that in the last week of July, an unnamed officer issued warnings to members of a Porsche club seen speeding on the Sea-to-Sky — Highway 99 — between Vancouver and Whistler.

A week later, on the morning of Aug. 4, the same officer saw a similar pack of Porsches and this time recorded them travelling at between 125 km/h and 131 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.
The Porsches were sent into lockup for a week.The Porsches were sent into lockup for a week. (WVPD)

The officer pulled them all over, issued tickets for $368 and had the four Porsches impounded for a week.

Cpl. Harding said the West Vancouver Police Department will continue to pursue people breaking the speed limit.

"Drivers are reminded that road safety is the responsibility of all road users," he said.

"Driving at excessive speed can lead to severe sanctions from the Motor Vehicle Branch Superintendent which includes the suspension of driving privileges for an undetermined period of time."
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repost!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...on-th-s2s.html
Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

So they were going between 78 and 81 mph...
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

In the dry, in the sun on a divided highway - they were going 80 MPH - oh the horror!!!! Nanny state at it's best, can't convict murders and rapists but speed they're on you like white on rice - how the mounties have fallen!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me take a guess, you have a bunch of unemployed lefty citizens who would be happy the police did that?

Or let me guess again you have a bunch of lefty environmentally aware softy types in office who had thier nuts removed at birth....yah?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Makes me want to pick up the phone and donate the next time I get a call. Sorry state of affairs!

Tom
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Speeding is really in interesting aspect of law and human nature.

The speed limit is probably the only law where a large group of people think its ok to break the law, and a large group breaks those laws every day, either by mistake or on purpose.

Speeders want other laws to be enforced but the one that they are breaking, the speed limit, not enforced, I'm pretty sure thiefs and murders feel the same way. Not to say those are equal in any way, but people due want law enforcemnet to apply to others and not themselves.

So break the law, whichever law that is, and be prepared to pay the penalty

The issue of best use of a police force and what lawbreakers they should be going after is a whole different can of worms.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Not the same thing. Thiefs and murderers are immoral and are commiting crimes against mankind.

Speeding is not a real crime. It has no intention to hurt anyone else.

If you need any more proof, the speed limits in some places (I-10 West Texas) have been increased by 30mph over the old 55mph speed limit. What was it immoral years ago but no longer is?

Anyways, I don't ride or drive in groups for all of these reasons. It just attracts the wrong kind of attention.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Like baiting the dog...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

30 MPH over the posted limit is a bit much but to impound the cars for a week?
Canada = Big Government with control
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as a "crime" goes, I don't concur. Here in Oregon our freeway limit is 65. Our present governor in his original term as guv stated he would not raise the speed limit because there would be a "bloodbath" doing that without having additional troopers on the highways. It never got raised. Butt, the guv must be unaware that our neighboring state to the east has a - hold on to your cowboy hat Guv, speed limit of 75 on freeways and 65 on secondary highways. It is all a revenue collecting scheme that the states and insurance companies love!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM
csorrows
Instructor

I'm a firm believer that speed alone doesn't cause accidents, but it does exacerbate them. Stupid driving causes accidents.

I wish cops would spend more time stopping and ticketing stupid drivers than worrying about somebody going 10MPH (or whatever) over the speed limit.

Every day on my way to and from work I see:

People who don't know how to merge when their lane ends.
People who never use a turn signal.
People weaving in and out of lanes (again, without using a turn signal).
People who are so stupid they leave their lights off at night (this one infuriates me, and one reason I support DRL and auto-on headlights).
People who follow too close for conditions/tailgate.
People who clog the left-hand lanes and refuse to move over.
Etc, etc, etc.

These are the things that cause accidents, not simply going over the speed limit. Now, when these idiots cause accidents because of their stupid driving, the faster they're going makes the accident WORSE.

If I could pick just one thing for cops to focus one (just one!) it would be stopping and ticketing everybody who doesn't use a turn signal when changing lanes or merging. We've all heard how badly police departments are hurting for revenue, well there you go. Stop every idiot out there who fails to use their turn signal, show no mercy, and ticket them at "full price". They'd probably have more revenue than they'd know what to do with.

But what infuriates me is that cops driving around would probably pull over the guy driving 10MPH over the limit (but driving safely) than some idiot driving the speed limit but changing lanes and never using a signal. I'd rather cite the unsafe driver than just the fast one.

/end rant
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
30 MPH over the posted limit is a bit much but to impound the cars for a week?
Canada = Big Government with control
agreed.

If you speed, you risk a ticket. If you don't like the speedlimit, write your congressman or mounted legislator or whatever they have up there.

If you don't have a problem with someone doing 28mph over the limit, I'll just come cruising through your neighborhood at 53mph. I'm sure you won't mind.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Limits?

I was always curious how speed limits are determined and who does it for us mortals so we don’t kill ourselves and others in the process.
At one point I came to a conclusion that there’s got to be a wise, bald, fat man wearing thick eyeglasses who is driven around our streets and highways in a luxurious limo. Not sure about his title, any suggestions?
He then with all his undisputed authority and wisdom decides: This corner – make it 75, that road – 60, from here to there – 45, this highway – 100. Wonder when he is going to retire and who’s going to succeed in his position.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stupid does it

Originally Posted by csorrows
Stupid driving causes accidents.
I wish cops would spend more time stopping and ticketing stupid drivers than worrying about somebody going 10MPH (or whatever) over the speed limit.
/end rant
Could not agree any more.
However, and it is a big however:
It's not about safety, it is all about revenues.

Quick Reply: Pack of Porsches impounded for speeding on Sea-to-Sky