Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some idiot has backed into front bumper #@$!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
If you're going to take it to the dealer as you think the damage may have been caused there, I wouldn't touch it. Bring it to the dealer as is.
+1 Absolutely. A good point was made earlier, however, that if the lid was ajar enough to get the warning honk when you locked it, it seems like the front lid open warning should have also appeared in your display when you left the dealer. And the way the other car's bumper over-rode yours makes me suspicious of something tall, like that Expedition.

Also, I would replace the bumper, if it comes to that, with the one that belongs on the car and not try to "upgrade" to a 997.2.

Anyway, my condolences, Alex. It looks like everything can be fixed good as new but it's a hassle, I know. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 Absolutely. A good point was made earlier, however, that if the lid was ajar enough to get the warning honk when you locked it, it seems like the front lid open warning should have also appeared in your display when you left the dealer. And the way the other car's bumper over-rode yours makes me suspicious of something tall, like that Expedition.

Also, I would replace the bumper, if it comes to that, with the one that belongs on the car and not try to "upgrade" to a 997.2.

Anyway, my condolences, Alex. It looks like everything can be fixed good as new but it's a hassle, I know. Good luck.
Thanks Mike, all cosmetic, but it just SUCKS!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

that's a problem I think will require a new bumper cover
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you are able to get it sorted out quickly. Which body shop will you use in Vancouver?

How does that effect the resale value?

Is this something you will try and claim with ICBC?

Will ICBC cover the clear bra as well?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Porsche dealer kinda agreed to cover it *somehow*... they first said it was fine, it's impossible, their staff won't be penalized if they did it, so no reason to not saying anything... but afterall, said goto this body shop and ask em to look at it, then call them and see what can be done.

So, body shop looked at it, the bracket behind the bumper is bent and must be replaced, he loosened up the screws holding the bumper and the bump was reduced by at least 50%, no paint damage as the clear bra took all of the damage... so he said, let it sit for a while, plastic has memory and might come back, and then will work out with dealer to see what they might cover. At least they're gonna pay for the bracket.

On the clear bra, it's tricky, didn't get a full answer. Might cost $600, which SUCKS, as I am not sure if Porsche or Insurance will cover it. I have to get to the bottom of it.

The sucky part is that I got another scratch on the rear bumper due to a similar indicent that I never reported... and literally was gonna report and get it done, and now with this, it'd be TWO claims of hit/run which doesn't look good, and might impact insurance.

So, overall, the bumper hasn't been damaged much, and they might be able to heat it back to shape, and install a new bracket... and then gotto do a new clear bra.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find Vancouver is brutal on both front and rear bumpers, nobody seems to be that careful parking and I've driven by numerous people attempting to wedge their cars or more likely their SUVs into impossibly small spots. My experience with MCL has been very good, so hopefully they will take care of the problem even if they were unlikely not the culprits.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Good for the dealership. When my 993 coupe was new I took it to the dealership from which I bought it for a oil change. It was raining and night time when I picked it up. They gave me the keys and said it is parked on the line with all the other cars. I walked out to it and saw it was the only car backed into a space and all others were nose in. That got me curious. I pulled it out and parked and inspected the rear of the car and sure enough the rear valance was smashed in between the two tips. I immediately brought it to the dealerships attention. That was the beginning of a two week battle as the denied the damage happened at their dealership and that it must have come in like that. Despite the fact that when I dropped it off I had the service writer inspect the car for damage and none was noted and the service writer even commented that the car looked just like new. They finally agreed to pay for the damage and I have never since returned to that dealership for anything.

Lesson learned - take cell photos of all four sides of the car when you drop it off just to be safe. I have always taken my cars in when they are just cleaned so any damage would be readily apparent.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:34 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're fortunate that your dealer is stand up. Usually, if damage isn't noted before driving off the lot, you get screwed.
Porsche North Scottsdale does a walk-around when you bring the car in, and again when you pick up the car, by your service advisor. I usually trail a few feet behind him/her, and this is a good reminder!
Plastic has "memory" and will try to return to the shape in which it was originally molded to, as long as it is not creased. Hopefully, you'll end up OK.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Alex,

I am sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, once they replace the metal bracket, it will look "good as new" with no cost to you. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM
dethman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks but hopefully the dealer will work with you to get things sorted out. at least is't mostly cosmetic and not on any real body panel.

Quick Reply: Some idiot has backed into front bumper #@$!