70,000 Mile Summary

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts
Default 70,000 Mile Summary

Turned 70,000 miles yesterday. It's hard to believe that I have logged that many miles since that Tuesday in Zuffenhausen when it showed 7 kilometers on the odometer.

When you actually drive these things you get to shake out the little infant mortality issues that often get passed onto the next buyer who's thrilled to get a "low mileage" car.

What has failed, and what has worked?

The water pump, a couple of coolant caps, a premature serpentine belt death (and come along roller), and a very few rattles here and there--but that's mostly all I remember. Or course, I'm still pouring oil in it every 1000 miles but I'm so used to that I don't even think about it anymore. The service shop sealed up the side mirrors--they would whistle at certain speeds. I also had a wind deflector replaced--all of this stuff was under warranty. They also replaced the base to the right passenger seat--bad sensor for the weight sensing for air bags.

I do the oil changes roughly every 6000 miles, along with brake fluid changes roughly every 3 years. I do filter (cabin and air) changes when they look like they need it. I am still on the original spark plugs. (I have a replacement set sitting on the shelf). I have not even gone through half the pad thickness of both the from and rear brake pads. The PCCBs are worth it in deferred brake maintenance--and much less dust to boot!

I continue to replace tires two to one (rears to fronts) and have decided to stick to the Bridgestones. They work--no sense gambling with something else. Maybe next time. Other basic replacements have been the main battery, the TPMS sensors/batteries.

What have I added?

I'm pretty much a stock sort of guy--I am extremely happy with how I ordered the car in the first place. Since delivery I have slowly added a very few custom pieces. First, or course, was the hood liner for trunk protection, and a Valentine 1 for "situation awareness" and CocoMats for the floor--along with European front side markers. I built a set of rear luggage straps to keep things from flying around when I'm pushing it on the serpentine roads. I picked up a set of X51 headers which I cleaned up considerably before installing.

I went with the RotTec front and rear LED lights which make changing light bulbs something they used to do in the 20th Century. I also swapped out the license plate lights for LEDs and also changed the color temperature a bit on the Bi-Xenons. I put in PTS matching headlight washers, because I got such a good deal from Eric. (It would be a long wait before the next Blue Turquoise guy comes along to move those). I installed the electric module that lets my cab top function remotely (Smart Top) as well as the Tooki Bluetooth device so that I can be street legal with my cell phone--which works very well with my multifunction steering wheel.

I also installed a 12VDC plug into the front trunk--so that I can run my dielectric refrigerator up there during certain trips. I also put in that trunk liner that lets me be messy with what goes in there without impacting the bottom carpet. Went with a solid billet aluminum fuel cap with cord (to keep from losing that $125 hunk of alu). Finally, I had my rear exhaust tips (PSE) ceramically coated so that I don't have to clean them anymore.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how little maintenance is required of these modern Porsches. My favorite options? The PSE, the PCCBs, the full natural leather interior, and the PTS--so that I don't see myself coming and going every day in this town. Having moved up a long way from my 1981 Porsche 911 (narrow body Turbo) this 911 was so advanced, I'm still overwhelmed at its capabilities. The navigation system works well for me--I really understand it now, and having the extended module is handy when you want to repeat a route.

What do I wish they had done a little bit more of?

The remote 6-stack CD player should have the ability to play MP3s--like the main player. With that (or an iPod) you have no need to ever handle a CD again! Some of the interior parts should have been covered in leather instead of that crappy slush finish. While I found that I ordered fairly intelligently, it's nearly impossible to not miss something. I would have liked contrasting stitching--a darker color--just so that they wouldn't look bad in a few years. I would have liked the Massassar wood for the front seat belt openings (cabriolet) just because they would be a bit more durable than that slush stuff.

May we all be as fortunate with our 997s as I have been so far. I predict that the 997 will retain its value very well into the future. The design is popular, the price is right, and it will live on sort of like the liquid coolant version of the 993!

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-28-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 AM
holden997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!
Enjoy the next 70k miles with good health and safe driving.

I have always enjoyed reading your threads.

Holden
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have always enjoyed and learned from your postings.
Happy 70K to your beautiful baby.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see another positive report! I too have an 06 and am tickled with how it has performed over the past few years of ownership. I'm the 3rd owner but the OD only has 26,000 miles on it. I've debated on the spark plugs/coils, but I have no misfires or codes so I've kept that change on the back burner. I'm planning on doing the drive belt this weekend just so I can turn a wrench on something. Keep up the posts, they have been very informative!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Congrats Edgy, great write up. I think once you find a car that really fits you there is no reason to change. I look forward to your next report, in 3 years say, when you hit the big one.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Great write-up!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Nice write up. You were an inspiration when I was deciding to purchase a 997. Your post are always informative and fun to read.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dan, nice write up. I just traded up to the 991 after 70,000 in my 05 997. The 997 is one of the best cars ever made. I miss her already. During that time she only had a couple of things fail: An RMS leak that was repaired nicely with the new kit and four new PASM shocks (guess I fell in love too much with those twists and turns on the back roads). Otherwise, the car was flawless. The next owner will be a very happy person!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Always found your posts helpful and informative Dan. Great to see a 997.1 making it to 70k miles w/o much in the way of major service. I'm only at 53k+ miles but my wife (an accountant) noted that our 997 has been the least expensive to maintain (knock on wood) as compared to our prior BMW's. As I DIY... I've only spent ~$1K on maintenance parts for oil changes, plugs and coils, brake flush, coolant flush, filters, s-belt, battery, etc. Relatively inexpensive for a car that retailed for $100K new.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USMC_DS1, how does your wife (accountant) feel about the other few bucks you've spent on mods?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting, Dan, and congrats on reaching 70K!
Bought my '06 in April this year - one previous owner but only 17K (which both elated and concerned me). Just turned over 23K with no issues at all. Since I bought it I've put in 1.2 litres of oil.
Absolutely fantastic car!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
USMC_DS1, how does your wife (accountant) feel about the other few bucks you've spent on mods?
Hmmm... what mods... those were all required maintenance items. We have an arrangement... she accounts for 90% of my income but I retain the rest for hobbies and/or required maintenance/mods. Not perfect but it's work for the past 25 yrs .
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Dan....good luck to you and Congratulations!!

I wish I had one like that....wait a minute....I do.

All the best to a very generous guy!! And may you live as long as that beautiful Porsche keeps running!!

Tom
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Really enjoyed the post. Made me feel good about purchasing my new-to-me 997.1TT last month.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Dan, didn't you also modify/add a type of bracket system for the front license plate in order to avoid drilling holes in the bumper? Crap, how embarrassing for me if I know your mods as well as you do! (Of course that might not be too bad considering my car is, interior options aside, the NorCal version of yours in hardtop form.)

Quick Reply: 70,000 Mile Summary