Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily drive suggestion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

New Outback. Got 100 k on mine. Not a problem. Oil changes are 29.99!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda Odyssey.

Drives like a car, fuel efficiency will be as good as or better than Subaru, lower maintenance than Audi or Land Rover, completely stealthy and versatile. It will even tow.

Who cares if it is a minivan - your other car is a Porsche.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave R.
Honda Odyssey.

Drives like a car, fuel efficiency will be as good as or better than Subaru, lower maintenance than Audi or Land Rover, completely stealthy and versatile. It will even tow.

You forgot handling, right?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

God.....don't get a minivan! One of the great accomplishments of my life is never having to drive one of those "space shuttles" on wheels!

How about a Mercedes? We have a GLK and I loooooove it!! Small, fun and good looking. I like the Audi's looks as well but the Mercedes is a Mercedes! Great Quality!!

Tom
Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 547 Posts

A3 or Golf GTI. I'd suggest Scion FRS but it wont be good for 4 seats and haulin stuff.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave R.
Honda Odyssey.

Gotta agree there Dave, great vehicle for the family. If you aint drivin one alex....maybe you should.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

if you don`t need to tow i kinda like new forester - we got one for my father in law and for an all-around car it is fine, cheap , 25mpg and full time 4wd.

if you need more power, need to tow - look at v8 models, cayennes are probably also fine but i would look at something more solid, like landcruiser or similar tanks. Q7 is actually very, very good - try one, you may love it, it is way better inside than outside. overall it is impossible to tell what it will be that will cover your needs best and how much $ you want to burn on it.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Forgot to mention... avoid the x5. Maybe it's just our experience but do some research re their reliability. Nice ride, fast, etc... but be prepared for lots of trips to the mechanic. We used an indy and it still cost a few thousands per year(covered by extend warranty) but it was the inconvenience of having it in the shop every other month. So unreliable my wife just couldn't trust it on the road anymore... she went back to Toyota(Lexus) and replaced it with the Lexus GX-470. Slow and luxo and the only issue after 3 yrs+ was a faulty ash tray/power receptacle replaced by the dealer. I don't think we'll be getting our money's worth out of the extend warranty on this one.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X3, previous body style. We have a 2005 with the very rare 6 speed manual, and it's fantastic. Absolutely bulletproof, fun to drive, good space, very versatile. It really does pretty much everything well, but the ride is a bit firm and may not have the level of luxury that you're looking for. I would highly recommend it.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My girlfriend just bought a 2010 Q5 w/the 3.2 for $33,000. I've driven the car on the twisty country roads going to my lake house and it handles really well. The Q5 also swallows up her 3 and 6 year old along with all of their stuff and gets pretty good gas mileage. Great fit and finish also.
Good luck!!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

How about the new Mini Cooper Countryman all4 (4wheel drive)

You are in a great price range. Many cars to choose from. I have a VW Touareg V8.
I have seen these vehicles in your price range:
VW Touareg
Porsche Caynenne
Audi Q7
Audi Q5
Audi S4 (with snow tires)
Audi S5 (with snow tires)
Audi Allroad
BMW X5
BMW X3
BMW 3 and 5 series
Range Rovers's

or you could pick up a nice Honda accord and use it as a beater.
I would test drive them all before you decide.

You have many choices and enjoy the search!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Forgot to mention... avoid the x5. Maybe it's just our experience but do some research re their reliability. Nice ride, fast, etc... but be prepared for lots of trips to the mechanic. We used an indy and it still cost a few thousands per year(covered by extend warranty) but it was the inconvenience of having it in the shop every other month. So unreliable my wife just couldn't trust it on the road anymore... she went back to Toyota(Lexus) and replaced it with the Lexus GX-470. Slow and luxo and the only issue after 3 yrs+ was a faulty ash tray/power receptacle replaced by the dealer. I don't think we'll be getting our money's worth out of the extend warranty on this one.
If you prioritize reliability, build quality, and all-weather go-anywhere prowess, I'll pile on the comment above and suggest you take a look at a 2006+ Lexus GX470, provided you can find one with the Sport/KDSS package (mammoth active rollbars, and decent handling). it's my DD, at first reluctantly but the bloody thing has grown on us. Relatively small footprint, super roomy inside, torsen based AWD (like our Audi(s)), nice torquey v8 that will approach 20mpg on the freeway, great tow vehicle (rear air suspension), and reliability like I've never seen before.

I've had ours since new in 2007 and 72k miles, and I finally had something go wrong: the driver's side headlamp bulb. There went $10. Seriously, I've never come across a vehicle in the 27 I've owned thus far that instills this level of confidence. Kind of ugly, and I never, ever thought I'd be driving a Lexus. But, it's a great rig and within your price range used.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
God.....don't get a minivan! One of the great accomplishments of my life is never having to drive one of those "space shuttles" on wheels!

How about a Mercedes? We have a GLK and I loooooove it!! Small, fun and good looking. I like the Audi's looks as well but the Mercedes is a Mercedes! Great Quality!!

Tom
NOT going to get a mini-van, even if I had kids
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if you don`t need to tow i kinda like new forester - we got one for my father in law and for an all-around car it is fine, cheap , 25mpg and full time 4wd.

if you need more power, need to tow - look at v8 models, cayennes are probably also fine but i would look at something more solid, like landcruiser or similar tanks. Q7 is actually very, very good - try one, you may love it, it is way better inside than outside. overall it is impossible to tell what it will be that will cover your needs best and how much $ you want to burn on it.
I LOVE Subarus, I think it is by far the best Japanese drivers car. I just do not like their styling that much, the one I like a lot is WRX, but they don't make an auto version of it.

Q7 is great, but too big. I like to keep them smaller.

Quick Reply: Daily drive suggestion...