Your Stock Cats for Fab Speed Cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Stock Cats for Fab Speed Cats

Hi All,
I have a customer that has a 2005 Carrera S. He lives in California. Upon visual inspection the emissions technician noticed he had Fab Speed Cats that were not CARB certified. He would like to swap Cats with someone in some other state. It must be a 2005 as the part numbers are different. Please shoot me a PM if interested and I'll get you in touch with him. And yes the car will pass emissions in any other state and no, there is not a check engine light on.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Hi All,
I have a customer that has a 2005 Carrera S. He lives in California. Upon visual inspection the emissions technician noticed he had Fab Speed Cats that were not CARB certified. He would like to swap Cats with someone in some other state. It must be a 2005 as the part numbers are different. Please shoot me a PM if interested and I'll get you in touch with him. And yes the car will pass emissions in any other state and no, there is not a check engine light on.
Other than failing the visual inspection, do you know if the car will pass with the Fabspeed cats? If so, maybe he should shop for a more friendly inspector...maybe some of the California members can offer suggestions.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Fabspeed x-cats on my 2005. Passed in Ct. no issue.
if you have a 2005 you should grab these.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

The Cats will pass anywhere but California. They do a visual there. That's what got my customer. So if anyone out there wants a great deal this is it!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Verde
Advanced

Default Fabspeed parts are not CARB-legal in CA

Why won't Fabspeed issue a sticker that can be applied to their existing exhaust equipment sold to Californians stating that they are CARB certified? Or are they not eligible for CARB? In which case Fabspeed can no longer sell exhaust components to street-legal cars in CA?
I just ran in to the same case wherein my car failed visual inspection here in CA while getting the car smogged. No CARB certs on the pipes. And no info from Fabspeed. In fact, two years back when my Fabspeed-equipped car failed CA smog (before they required the CARB-certified stickers), Fabspeed was of now help in repeated phone calls.
Caveat emptor.
V
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Verde
Why won't Fabspeed issue a sticker that can be applied to their existing exhaust equipment sold to Californians stating that they are CARB certified? Or are they not eligible for CARB? In which case Fabspeed can no longer sell exhaust components to street-legal cars in CA?
I just ran in to the same case wherein my car failed visual inspection here in CA while getting the car smogged. No CARB certs on the pipes. And no info from Fabspeed. In fact, two years back when my Fabspeed-equipped car failed CA smog (before they required the CARB-certified stickers), Fabspeed was of now help in repeated phone calls.
Caveat emptor.
V
Cost and difficulty of certification, almost guaranteed. California has required CARB plaques for years. This isn't anything new.

Question: Did your car fail visual due to cats or some other issue?

My understanding is that anything after the cats is not emission and can be changed. Cats, intakes, super chargers, turbos, ECU mods, ignition mods, all that stuff needs CARB cert to be legal for on-road use. Yeah it sucks.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
997C2
Advanced

I assume you need a 2005 S to swap. The regular 2005 has a different exhaust, correct?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How do 2005 cats differ from other 997.1 cats? Is there a physical mounting difference that prevents their installation? I've never seen anyone cite the 2005 differentiation before for any high flow cats.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Sounds tempting but those jokers have a mirror where I go too.

Quick Reply: Your Stock Cats for Fab Speed Cats