Installed K & N CAI now CEL on

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Installed K & N CAI now CEL on

Installed today. Drove for maybe 15 minutes. No problem, then I shut it off, got ice cream. 15 minutes later turned it on and cel comes on. Everything runs fine
Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Misread...Disregard
Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to the car wash or any rain? My CEL came on a few times... narrowed it down to water (after wasting money on a new MAF) - When I emailed K&N 3 times no response. Called them and they suggested another water sock (or whatever its called) Since I put the second sock I havent had a CEL problem with rain, or car wash. For now... knock on wood...

If no rain or carwash pull the negative cable let it sit for 15 min - should reset light. I did this after the carwash and CEL only came on after rain (not much rain either). Realized it was water and spent the 15 or 20 bucks on the extra sock. Rinsed the first sock and installed both on the filter. No change in sound or performance (that i can tell). Lots of people talk about it being the Oil on the filter - K&N swears its not the cause... who knows - mine has been on for a 2k miles first 1k w/o second sock.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has a sock on it. Washed it after install and as I mentioned it came on after a 15 minute drive. Stopped turned it back on and cel. Honestly can't feel the difference between it and stock. I have the foster mufflers so maybe it's why I can't hear any difference
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

sometimes the K&N filters oil will get on the MAF sensor and cause erronous readings. They are notorious for this . Im not sure how your kit is, but if the filter is exposed in the engine compartment, the turbulence from the engine fan will also create issues for the MAF sensor. You might want to just try reverting back to your oem filter to see if it resolves itself.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

I have 2 socks on mine - i narrowed the CEL coming on down to water - i will say that after i had it installed I had a CEL about 50-75 miles after (no rain no carwash just a nice day - did take 2-3 start/stop cycles). I had the code checked and it was MAF. Changed MAF and then got another CEL about 75-100 miles later. Cleaned the MAF - some time later CEL came back on (it rained). Did the battery pull and cleaned again. Went to a carwash - CEL came on again after the next start stop cycle. Got this second sock direct from K&N and no problems so far. I really cant feel anything either, the sound is a little bit deeper but thats about it.

Guess I am just sharing my experience with the K&N - again i figured my CEL to be water related - Funny part is the tech support at K&N told me to build my own shield to keep the water off the filter ... why would i spend 250 and then jerk around with trying to build a shield... whatever its on there and no more CEL's so ill leave it alone.

Try pulling the neg cable for 15 min and while its off take out the MAF and clean it with MAF cleaner - worth 15 min and 8 bucks for a can of spray - if that doesnt work call them. They obviously wont answer an email.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

So should I just pull this thing off? My car is CPO spin don't want to do void my warranty. I have not had issues with k and n CAI's before and I have had them on every one of my last 10 years
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Same here - never had a problem with K&N and always seemed to improve my other cars. If you are worried pull it off and throw it on ebay... someone will buy it.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
So should I just pull this thing off? My car is CPO spin don't want to do void my warranty. I have not had issues with k and n CAI's before and I have had them on every one of my last 10 years
Did you add after the CPO certifcation? If so, if you have any MAF problems be ready for warranty coverge questions.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought the car cpo and it's still under warranty. I am going for a drivetosee if they code clears, if not I may pull it off
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the installation of 'socks' over the filters negate the purpose of a less restrictive filter? Seems like Porsche put a lot of time and money into the research to make the engine run at it's optimum. Just my unqualified $.02
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

K&N is NOT a true cold air intake. The stock air box that came on your car is a true CAI. If you want more air flow and a washable filter in a real CAI put the stock box back on and use a BMC or K&N filter inside the stock box...which will actually have more air flow and cooler intake temps.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
I bought the car cpo and it's still under warranty. I am going for a drivetosee if they code clears, if not I may pull it off
My question was did you add the CAI after you purchased or was the CAI installed when the CPO was completed?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
Doesn't the installation of 'socks' over the filters negate the purpose of a less restrictive filter? Seems like Porsche put a lot of time and money into the research to make the engine run at it's optimum. Just my unqualified $.02
true I suppose - its so damn thin anyway, the vacuum barely strains when it put it up to it - wanted to be sure it wasnt gonna choke it - I dont see any diff between stock and K&N or k&n + second sock- It does sound a little different though - I guess i would describe it as "throaty" . I've put K&N "CAI's" on and an F150 5.4, Saleen, Jetta - Friends have them on non-pcars - all make the difference you'd expect. Only thing I see is throaty sound and seems to open the engine bay up a little more... If I could buy again I wouldnt...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I took it off. Took 15 minutes to put OEM back on. No cel anymore
Anyone need a Slightly used (10 miles) K& N. With a CPO car it's not worth it
Caesar

Quick Reply: Installed K & N CAI now CEL on