Facts:
-I have a wheel and tire warranty
-Tires are Super Sport
-Wheels are centerlocks.
-Porsche won't touch the tires
-Tire installers can't remove the wheels
-4000-5000 miles on all tires

Dilemma
-Order 1 or 2 tires from tire rack based on treadwear? Inners are also worn slightly more.
-Flatbed the car to:
A) Porsche, which will charge $40 to remove/reinstall the wheels and I take the wheel to tire shop.
B) Porsche tuner, who will be able to remove/install the wheels, take wheel to tire shop, but probably charge me $90 for his time.

Leaning on ordering 2 tires and option B, just wanted some input. I remember hitting a pot hole pretty hard about a month ago, surprised it held out this long.

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-16-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

1 tire is all you need & the tire warranty should cover most if not all of that.
If you have roadside assistance that should cover wheel removal.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go 2b personally.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

2B with two tires.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused as to why the Porsche dealer will not touch the tires?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

How did the tire blow? Was it a road event? If not, it looks like a bead installation problem. I would like someone who know tires to check it. Michelin has people on the filed for that.

The dealer will not touch the tire because it's not N-rated. Some dealers mount PSS, but they will not warrant them, but we should know that.

I would have a dealer reinstall both rear tires.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
How did the tire blow? Was it a road event? If not, it looks like a bead installation problem. I would like someone who know tires to check it. Michelin has people on the filed for that.

The dealer will not touch the tire because it's not N-rated. Some dealers mount PSS, but they will not warrant them, but we should know that.

I would have a dealer reinstall both rear tires.
Most Porsche dealers do not touch tires that are not approved by Porsche. N is the letter they live by.

There are great indy tire shops that are highly rated. Find them via your local PCA or BMWCCA clubs. They can handle it all and will price the tires in line with TireRack pricing.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

centerlocks suck again.

porsche should really be ashamed of this dogsh*t product
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
centerlocks suck again.

porsche should really be ashamed of this dogsh*t product
I agree. I wish the first owner of my car went with 5 lugs.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Michelin Super Sports are well respected tires so I'd like to know how the sidewall failed like this. It looks like a really hard pothole or curb hit. I'd say a new alignment will be needed if this happened. However if the tire just blew like this driving down the street then I would no longer trust MPSS tires and get a different brand.

Depending on your local indy shop I would not trust anyone with center locks except the dealer...and then some dealers I don't trust with my center locks.

I'm somewhat of a detailed expert on center locks so if you need help in proper installation let me know but it's covered in great detail in your owners manual so please follow it to the letter...no if's and's or but's...trust me!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Your tire/wheel warranty sucks.

I get road hazard coverage on my cars tires for around $7/tire and I get way better service.

Not too long ago the Turbo's left rear tire was low. I took it to the dealer and a screw was found in the tire. The dealer would not repair the tire but I have an indy tire shop that did. But the repair didn't hold. The indy tire tech told me the hole was too close to the sidewall and the screw had damaged the sidewall internally.

Ok back at the dealer. The SM looks up my car's work invoice for when I had the tires replaced and confirms the tires have road hazard coverage. The only catch is the tire must have 3mm or more of tread left. The tires have around 23K miles on them so I hold my breath as the tech gets out his tread depth measurement tool. 3mm is the measurement. Oh yea!

The rear tire replaced free of charge. All I had to do was of course pay for the other tire and its balancing/mounting. But it was due to be replaced shortly anyhow given the mileage though I'm sure it had a few thousand more miles left.

Quick Reply: Tire blew out, need some experience