Sponsored by:

Annoying Creaking Sound From Passenger Rear Window Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Annoying Creaking Sound From Passenger Rear Window Area

This may have been addressed in prior posts so I apologize if this is a redundant question. I have a 2009 S coupe that I bought in August and about two weeks ago it began to have a creaking sound coming from the passenger rear window pillar that sounds like chassis flex issues. It happens primarily when I am on an uneven surface like a parking garage or going slowly over speed bumps. I have sprayed silicon around the back window rubber seal and around the back seat latches hoping that would quiet the problem, but no luck. Has anyone experienced a similar situation and if so do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your help.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

turn the radio UP

Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
sand8
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeffrec
This may have been addressed in prior posts so I apologize if this is a redundant question. I have a 2009 S coupe that I bought in August and about two weeks ago it began to have a creaking sound coming from the passenger rear window pillar that sounds like chassis flex issues. It happens primarily when I am on an uneven surface like a parking garage or going slowly over speed bumps. I have sprayed silicon around the back window rubber seal and around the back seat latches hoping that would quiet the problem, but no luck. Has anyone experienced a similar situation and if so do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your help.
Check the hard plastic trimming around the rear seatbelt upper anchor point and the backseat support latch, it may be rubbing there against the seatbelt anchor bolt.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

If you can fit back there, have someone drive the car while you find the exact source of the noise first. Then fixing it is a lot easier.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had similar on mine but dealer made it go away for the most part. Can't recall if it was adjusting the door latch or the window mechanism, but it's very rare to hear it now.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it might be the rear window against the moulding. or maybe just something inside the plastic interior panels which are easy enough to take off if you know how (i dont, but i imagine it's easy! ). in either case, there is an easy solution:

1) put key in ignition and start car.
2) drive.

dont sweat it. it will either most likely go away sooner or later - probably at the same time another rattle pops up - or you will forget about it because you are having too much fun. remember: you bought a performance automobile...not an obese, padded down, luxury behemoth. in some ways it will be raw, unforgiving and annoying as a "daily driver", but despite the rattles, the little issues that pop up, and any shortcomings it may have, i gurantee you it will give you infinitely more smiles than most anything out there on the road today.

my .02.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Thank you Spiffyjiff, this is probably the best advice I could have received. Given that this is a 2009 model, the stiff sport suspension, and the fact that this is not my 83 year old father's Cadillac, it makes perfect sense. Besides, the sweet tones of the engine and the Bose sound system more than make up for the creaking sounds I may experience.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my 3rd 997, and they've all had it. It's a feature
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I'm on my 3rd 997, and they've all had it. It's a feature
Absolutely. The rattles are irritating from time to time. However, it is the nature of the beast with a high performance car with extremely tight suspension and rock hard extremely wide tires.

The only time my car is absolutely rattle free (or close) is if the humidity is extremely high after a rain.

Eventually the extreme joy of driving a 997 will over power any rattles.

On any other car, rattles are not acceptable.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

OP, how many miles??
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

I have the same rattle / creak in the passenger rear area. Since the car will have some down time this winter I'll probably try to find the source. I'm guessing it's one of the plastic panels rubbing.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Sorry to hear that, however, if you happen to come up with any solution please let me know. Living in Atlanta I will not give her a rest this winter unless the weather gets nasty. I would appreciate any insight you may garner in your search. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We must have better roads here in Tennessee because I rarely hear rattles and creaks in my 911.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
We must have better roads here in Tennessee because I rarely hear rattles and creaks in my 911.
Come to CA, you need an ATV to drive on the roads here ...
Old 11-24-2012, 03:38 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Come to CA, you need an ATV to drive on the roads here ...
Testify, brother!

I'm dealing with a bent rim from the roads here in Long Beach.

Quick Reply: Annoying Creaking Sound From Passenger Rear Window Area