Sponsored by:

Normal Wear for Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Normal Wear for Brake Pads

I am looking at possibly buying a CPO 2011 Carrera S with 12,000 miles, and I was told that as part of the CPO process, the rear brake pads had to be replaced, while the front pads were at 90%. Is this a normal wear pattern? Replacing pads after 12,000 miles in a normal car would seem very early, but I don't have any experience with a Porsche.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be, since most of the traction/stability programs use the rear brakes to "anchor" the car. Not to say you wouldn't get more mileage out of the next set of pads. Also, since its being CPO'd they might have to meet a certain standard to be able to gain CPO certification.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... there you go Jan. That was a learning op for me! lol

I'll tty tomorrow.

Bill
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

As a long time 911 owner, I would first begin with "it depends." However, I think that 12,000 miles is excessively too soon for rears--and even for the fronts.

Personally, with all other things being equal, I would run from a car that needed new rears after only 12,000 miles. It makes we wonder what else that car was expected to do!

The majority of braking in a 911 is in the front, like most cars. It would seem like you have an imbalanced braking system that has been imbalanced from the start. Perhaps their service manager can explain to you why any 911 would have such a wear pattern.

For my PCCB equipped 2006 car I used about 3% of my front pads after 36,000 miles. And I'm no wimp at applying the brakes--but that's an entirely different system.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As a long time 911 owner, I would first begin with "it depends." However, I think that 12,000 miles is excessively too soon for rears--and even for the fronts.

Personally, with all other things being equal, I would run from a car that needed new rears after only 12,000 miles. It makes we wonder what else that car was expected to do!

The majority of braking in a 911 is in the front, like most cars. It would seem like you have an imbalanced braking system that has been imbalanced from the start. Perhaps their service manager can explain to you why any 911 would have such a wear pattern.

For my PCCB equipped 2006 car I used about 3% of my front pads after 36,000 miles. And I'm no wimp at applying the brakes--but that's an entirely different system.
OK... that was my first reaction. The stability control answer sounded plausible, but 12k on the rears?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I smell continuous burnout attempts with traction control left on. if the car is a manual, I'd take a real good look at the clutch too. It just seems fishy.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

The other 2011 CPO that I am considering has 85% remaining on front and back brake pads, after 15,400 miles. Is this more in line with your experience?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
I smell continuous burnout attempts with traction control left on. if the car is a manual, I'd take a real good look at the clutch too. It just seems fishy.
But only 12k miles? They would have had to attempt a burnout every time they left a light! lol
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Indirectly, yes. My 03 Turbo has over 100K miles on its original brakes.

Contrary to the belief of some the rear brakes of the rear (and mid-engined) Porsche do most certainly play a larger role in stopping the car than in other engine layouts.

This is because the majority of the weight in over the rear axle. Sure under braking there is weight transfer but not as much as with other cars.

This has to be in order for Porsches to deliver their outstanding braking performance. This doesn't arise from the fronts doing all the work while the rears do very little. These cars a very well balanced and this applies to the division for braking between the front and rear axles.

(In the case of the Boxster that the rear brakes play a major role in braking is the presence of brake cooling scoops (those small rectangular things that hang down under the car) which help direct air up and out past the brake hardware.)

If I had to guess, I'd say the excessive rear brake wear is probably do to aggressive driving which results in traction control and EBD (electronic brake differential) activity eating up the brakes.

The car may still be a good car, provided you can determine to your satisfaction the above mentioned aggressive driving has not come about from track time.

The over rev range counters along with engine run time should provide you with some insight. And the car should be inspected for signs of tracking. Bits of tire rubber on the underbody plastic trays and such is a dead giveaway.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 514 Posts

If you leave all of the driver aids on and track a car hard for a 3 day weekend it is possible to toast a set of pads. I did it on an 09 Cayman S at Putnam Park.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is doubtful that the rear brakes need replacing but if the CPO warranty is with Porsche they may require new brake pads if less than 50% wear left at the time of the inspection. At least this was the the case when a friend of mine was buying a CPO warranty with Mercedes when his car was three years old but still on the original warranty.

Many manufacturers require every car to go through a thorough inspection and brought to a certain standard before they will CPO. This also includes tires and many other wear items. All deferred maintainance must be brought up to date.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake pads can be changed for issues other than wear. A car left standing in weather can have an effect on the appearance of the pads at their exposed edges, (rusty and crumbled appearance). In an attempt to sell the car and avoid a prospective buyer asking to thave them changed anyway, $300 is not a big price to pay for a good reputation.
And with the types of open wheels normally on these cars, the pads are very exposed and visible.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed all 4 pads on my 996 at 40000 miles. Front and rear looked about the same and they had a lot of pad left. I don't use brakes much.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

I had the service manager at my local P-car dealer tell me today that 12-20k is about normal for brake and tire longevity on the rear of the 997. wow.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I still maintain that the fronts take the brunt of the effort. Why else have six pistons and a larger caliper up front and only 4 pistons and a smaller caliper out back?

Quick Reply: Normal Wear for Brake Pads