Last Ride for a WWII Vet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I'll make it work. Happy to help in any way I can.
You're an angel. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

These sort of things are what makes Rennlist the community it is. Well done everyone. Sorry to hear about the OP's father.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My 90 yrs old uncle in LA(Hollywood Hills) is about to go into hospice care. We're all coming to LA to visit him for the last time this weekend. He's a WWII vet, bind and immobile, has lived a full life(traveled the world over) but his one regret in life was not buying a 911. I'd like to honor him with a last ride but unfortunately my car is in Austin. So to my fellow RL members in the Los Angeles area... Would any of you with a 911 be willing to give him a ride around the block in your 911? Maybe even rev the engine once or twice. I still need to check with my Aunt to see if this would be OK but did not want to get her hopes up until we found a means to do this. TIA.
Just saw this, is he at the Vet Admin in west LA on Wilshire? I have a relative from WWI I never met buried across the street. I am a former Marine & I would be glad to do this but my car is partially disassembled receiving it's Christmas presents. Audie Murphy's wife was a nurse there for decades up until her death a year or 2 ago. Your uncle probably knows this better than I. Please thank him for his service on behalf all of us! Semper Fi.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

How can I help? Where and when. US Navy Civilian 22 year here. I live in the San Fernando Valley. Where in LA do you want to go? PCH? Angeles National Forest?
You are the man!

USMC_DS1, best wishes for your uncle and family.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
AceOfAces
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're a true gentleman!

The rennlist community support is really amazing! Hope all goes well OP, keep us posted
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
mazadi
Intermediate

Very cool of you to do this for him and exceptionally cool of the community members stepping up to help!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Andrew Ward
Advanced

Let me know if you do this on a weekend and I will come up from San Diego.
2 P'cars is better than one and I would like to pay my respects for his service.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Ward
Let me know if you do this on a weekend and I will come up from San Diego.
2 P'cars is better than one and I would like to pay my respects for his service.
I'm with you there on all those points. Daberlin has signed up as the primary driver and FGL28 is backup should Daberlin not be able to make it. I think it would be great to honor Uncle Tom with a mini Porsche caravan for any who would like to join us. I'm waiting for an answer from my Aunt but we're targeting a short 2-3 mile drive from his home in the Hollywood Hills down to Palermo Restaurant in Los Feliz or where ever he'd like to go... likely this Sunday, the 27th, starting at 11am. Brunch will be on me should you wish to join us. Once my Aunt approves of this I'll fwd the logistic details to all who will be joining us. Please PM me or post on this thread if you'd like to join us.

BTW, Uncle Tom has attended many races including Laguna Seca. He's very fond of the 911 and not owning one when he was able to drive is his one regret in life especially as he had the financial means to do so. When he discovered that I had purchased one... he commented that there is only one true Porsche and it's the 911. Sadly I had purchased my C2S in SoCal 2 years ago and had it shipped to Austin... I did not discover his 911 fondness until last year. Sometimes life works like a Greek tragedy... drive them often, drive them fast, if you're fortunate enough to own one of these incredible machines.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

How can I help? Where and when. US Navy Civilian 22 year here. I live in the San Fernando Valley. Where in LA do you want to go? PCH? Angeles National Forest?
Just excellent daberlin. Take a few pics for memories.

Great forum with great members!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Techbod
Track Day

My 90 yrs old uncle in LA(Hollywood Hills) is about to go into hospice care. We're all coming to LA to visit him for the last time this weekend. He's a WWII vet, bind and immobile, has lived a full life(traveled the world over) but his one regret in life was not buying a 911. I'd like to honor him with a last ride but unfortunately my car is in Austin. So to my fellow RL members in the Los Angeles area... Would any of you with a 911 be willing to give him a ride around the block in your 911? Maybe even rev the engine once or twice. I still need to check with my Aunt to see if this would be OK but did not want to get her hopes up until we found a means to do this. TIA.

I'm in WLA and would be down to help. 10 Targa 4S. Nice bubble top views...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Just excellent daberlin. Take a few pics for memories.

Great forum with great members!!!!!!
If its ok with John and his family, I'd like to bring my cameras. Besides working for the Navy, I'm about to start a photography business. I'll have my gear with me. If several other cars are going to show up, please let me know. There are flags and other items we could bring to make it a pretty special day.

David
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Just saw this. Via x-post to the 993 forum.

I don't think I have any plans for this weekend. Let me know meeting times and locations, I am pretty sure that I can make it.

I haven't been to Palermo's in probably 2 decades, my wife used to live in Los Feliz, before we got married, and we went to Palermo's all the time, great food,...and free wine!

Would be an honor to give your Uncle a ride, even if I am 3rd in line.
I am not military, but have been a contractor all my career and have great respect for those that serve.
Our last CEO was a Marine.

Btw I have a 96 993 C2, last of the air cooled!...
Also, PM me any info, as I typically only hang out in the 993 and OT forums.

Last edited by Kika; 01-24-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

X a million
Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Just lost my father 2 weeks ago. Also a WWII vet. They were part of the Greatest Generation!
I'm sooo sorry to hear about your Dad, especially since you lost your Mom not too long ago, also.
Sometimes life works like a Greek tragedy... drive them often, drive them fast, if you're fortunate enough to own one of these incredible machines.
+997
We're all really sad to lose another from that great generation.
My condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones - there are none finer.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

USMC....good man and contributor.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

This is awesome. Before my dad passed he loved to go for Sunday drives with me and one of my last great memories was a ride together through and around his old neighborhood. I'd accelerate briskly..he'd say "now hold on a damn minute" but have a Sh$t eating grin on his face all the while.
It's not about the cars, it's about the people. You guy's are great. Please keep us posted on the ride.

Quick Reply: Last Ride for a WWII Vet