Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Ride for a WWII Vet

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Dear RL members... Thank you for your kind offers. Sadly I've just heard from my Aunt that the drive may prove too much for Uncle Tom. I had feared as much but was hoping for the best. His cardiologist warned against it and he suffered some bruising injuries during an ingress/egress from their Merc stationwagon the other day... so we're now considering a meet n greet for him as a plan B. Perhaps assemble a few 911's in the parking lot at Palermo or their home if he cannot travel. I have a note to my Aunt to see if he's up to that. Perhaps we could award him with an Honorary membership to RennList. I'll get him registered and have a certificate generated. Does anyone know of some historical facts re RL that I could share with him. I'll continue to add those interested to a list and forward the logistics once we lock down date/time/location with my Aunt. I hope we're not too late...

BTW, if we can make something happen... all forms of 911's are welcome. He's followed them thru the ages.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Does anyone know of some historical facts re RL that I could share with him.
Yes,

Rennlist actually began as Porschephiles back in the early 90s, perhaps even late 80s by Stan Hanks. It was strictly email back then, via individual mails or daily digests. In the late 90s, Porsche went on a law suit rampage to protect their name, and sent a cease and desist to everything that had the name Porsche on it, or they would be sued.
John Dunkle started Rennlist with a number of others that were granted lifetime memberships to maintain the community. A few years ago IB purchased the whole thing, and now we are "corporate" owned.

I think JD provided most of the coding as well as the location to house the servers. Those that contributed to the cost were granted lifetime memberships, and others were appointed as moderators.

It truly began as a "family", we even had our own village idiot back then, as well as a variety of other characters.

We were not allowed to mention T*d by his real name as using his real name would cause emails to bounce since the coding was such that any emails with his name would be thrown on the floor (shows how crude our spam programming skills were back in those days)

We had Bazza, Der Mayor of Christmas, and and owner of a DP935, can't recall his name, but there were many "adventures" about that car as well. Even Steve Beddor (Ruf) would chime in once in a while.

Porsche PhD, Over210mph relayed numerous stories and shared their vast knowledge.

Overall, the atmosphere has generally remained, in that Rennlisters tend to be good people, willing to share their knowledge and experiences about their cars, and more recently beyond cars.

Last edited by Kika; 01-24-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Meet n Greet is on!

Good news... Looks like we're on for a meet n greet at Palermo Restaurant this Sunday, 27JAN, @ 11am provided the weather is good. http://www.palermorestaurant.net/

So please come by to join us for brunch and to meet Uncle Tom and Aunt Harriet. Brunch is on me and we will have Palermo reserve some parking spaces in back for our mini parade of Porsche. Tom cannot see but I believe he'll enjoy meeting our Enthusiast and hearing the distinctive sounds the boxer 6 engines. BTW, I'll need a proper head count. Please confirm if you're coming. So far I believe the following RL members are interested in attending. And please LMK if anyone else would like to join us.

List of Drivers
1. daberlin
2. FGL28
3. Andrew Ward
4. Techbod
5. Kika

daberlin, please bring the photograph equipment... I think this is a special moment to capture and share with the other members of our fine forum.

Pic of my last brunch with Uncle Tom and Aunt Harriet @ Palermo many months ago.
Name:  Tom.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  124.0 KB

Again, thanks to all for your support. I look forward to meeting in person those who can attend. BTW, Aunt Harriet would like surprise Uncle Tom at Palermo with what we have planned for him.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could be there for this. Alway an honor to meet Vets.... especially from this era.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

What a cool surprise......wish I could be there!

Tom
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is just....awesome.
wish you weren't 6 hours away
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that's truly awesome. Since Tom cannot see, when you take him out to the cars you guys should start them all up at the same time so he can really hear the magic.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sounds like a good excuse...

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
cameronl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USMC_DS1 You guys have fun...

My Grandfather was in WWII 101st Airborne 506th A-Able company, D-Day, Bastone & ETC.. He will be 91 in March..
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll have cameras capable of both still and video. Looking forward to it. Fingers crossed on the weather front.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tremendous respect, guys.. 'nuff said.

De Oppresso Liber!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Incredible! Total respect for you entire family USMC. You've been blessed.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Techbod
Track Day

Would have loved to contribute, but I've got a 10am flight to catch that day and won't be there. Good luck for good weather and a big crowd!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Medic
2nd Gear

I've registered and paid for a 1 year subscription to RL for Tom... call sign "Medic" to reflect his billet in the Army during his service in WWII. These guys hold a special place amongst armed services members. Although he never got around to buying his dream car, the 911, I figure we can surprise him with an Honorary Certificate/Membership to RL. I'll generate something at Kinko's. I've PM'd Bob Rouleau to see if there is a letterhead or logo we could use. Aunt Harriet is very excited about the prospects of surprising Uncle Tom with a Porsche Day amongst enthusiast. Short of a heavy down pour she wants to make this happen. Only a heavy rain will prevent us from using their outside railed chair system to transfer Tom from their front door down to the driveway. Again, thank you all for your support and especially to those who can attend.

Semper Fi,

USMC_DS1
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Andrew Ward
Advanced

Weather not looking good

Quick Reply: Last Ride for a WWII Vet