Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts
Default Heel Toe Problems '09 C2S

Hello,

I finally took delivery on my '09 C2S and having a blast.... except.... Heel-Toeing is really tough in this thing. The throttle pedal is too far right and down away.

In my 2000 Boxster S I had for 12 years, I put on a Wings throttle pedal over top of the stock one and that allowed me to easily heal toe around town. For the track, I would have to remove it as the increased brake pressures would even them up.

Question: What are folks doing to heel toe in these cars? I am really not interested in swapping all my pedals out for something "cool", I just want something functional to heel-toe. I can't find a more modern Wings pedal.... I tried modding it but it just won't work. By the way, my technique is to put my heel as far right as I can go, **** my foot over, big toe ball and some more on the brake, then roll my foot over to blip (pretty standard stuff).

FYI: because I always rev-matched, I had 197,000 miles on my original clutch when my engine blew and killed the car. Who knows how far that clutch would have taken me.

Thanx
Bruce
Old 02-13-2013, 11:44 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

When i had my 6sp 997, i could not heel toe in the beginning, i had the same problem... However, when i started using the technique at a couple of DEs it came very natural... BTW i am a 10-10.5 shoe size...

My impression is that when you are aggressive on the brake pedal to brake from high speeds, the gas pedal is in the right place to use the technique. For daily driving is more difficult as you will almost never need to brake as hard on the street, unless you want someone to rearend you...

Check rennline. i think they have some type of extension on the pedals to bring them closer....
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found exact same thing ... Heel toe on track was more natural for me with the stock pedals. I tried the Rennline pedal with the extensions and it made heel-toe on street easier but I hated it on track and went back to stock.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
When i had my 6sp 997, i could not heel toe in the beginning, i had the same problem... However, when i started using the technique at a couple of DEs it came very natural... BTW i am a 10-10.5 shoe size...

My impression is that when you are aggressive on the brake pedal to brake from high speeds, the gas pedal is in the right place to use the technique. For daily driving is more difficult as you will almost never need to brake as hard on the street, unless you want someone to rearend you...

Check rennline. i think they have some type of extension on the pedals to bring them closer....
Pretty spot on. If you're practicing heel/toe on the street, I hope it's nowhere around me.
It's an effective technique for the track, where you're bonsai braking, and the pedals are properly positioned for the brake force you're applying.
If you've ever driven one of these cars on a track, you wouldn't ask this question, and there's no use whatsoever for this technique anywhere other than a track.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

As others have mentioned I find that when I get on the brakes the gas pedal seems to be in the right spot.
There is only one place I get to heel/toe on the street. The timing of the lights has to be right but there is a straight away followed by a tight (45-50 MPH) 3/4 circle turn leading to another straight away that is perfect for practicing my heel toe.

After driving the same piece of road for 7 years you figure out how to time the lights so you can enjoy that one little slice of driving joy 3/4 out of 5 days a week
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM
pnwc4s
Rennlist Member

Like everyone else, I found the pedals to be perfect for heel-toe as long as you're braking hard enough.

With my foot size I can't do a real traditional "heel toe" with the actual heel, it's more a side-foot roll thing.

I could never do the foot motion that Hurley shows :

But a foot roll like Walter :

(respect for the past masters!)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx for the Rennline tip.

Question: For those that installed them..... have you drilled into the gas pedal with the metal stips like on my '09 S? Does the template miss the metal strips?

By the way, I heel toe all the time. You don't have to be pounding the brake to heel toe, I do it on every downshift such as meeting slower traffic or slowing for EZ Pass lanes. For those old EZ Pass lanes, I know I will be moving to 2nd gear so as I am politly braking, I clutch/blip/shift/clutch then zoom! How else did my clutch last 197K miles and was still going! It is all in the rev matching.

If you don't heel toe, you have to take your foot off the brake to blip and shift. If you don't do even that, you drag the engines RPMs to meet the driveline and that just wears the clutch away, not to mention the sloppy and uncomfortable jerking the car will do.

Besides, I can't turn on heel toe on the rare occasions I got to the track.... I can't learn that way.

Thanx
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Practice makes perfect... BUT, heel toe on 997 works best on track, under hard braking, still it can be done on street... although I really do not think it's as critical.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Put my heel on the brake and my toe on the gas. Use the big pedal to you advantage.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a size 10 shoe and no issues with heel and toe but unlike Spokane5250, I place the heel on the gas pedal and toe on the brake pedal, has always worked for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I actually do more of the roll of the foot. For some reason my foot is just not high enough on the brake pedal to comfortably blip the throttle with my heel
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
If you don't heel toe, you have to take your foot off the brake to blip and shift. If you don't do even that, you drag the engines RPMs to meet the driveline and that just wears the clutch away, not to mention the sloppy and uncomfortable jerking the car will do.
Pinky on the street and heel only when racing.

It is not about being comfortable, it is about grip. If you can shift without rev matching with no risk of spinning out there is no real need for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
If you've ever driven one of these cars on a track, you wouldn't ask this question, and there's no use whatsoever for this technique anywhere other than a track.
Horsepoopie. I do it all the time, street, track, in every car.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
By the way, I heel toe all the time. You don't have to be pounding the brake to heel toe, I do it on every downshift... How else did my clutch last 197K miles and was still going! It is all in the rev matching.
Exactly! That's awesome clutch life, congrats!

As for your original question, I have no trouble H&T in the 997 but I have small feets and that may make it easier for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rennline makes a fully adjustable pedal to move it closer to you. Not just an extension but a complete replacement pedal. You might try that.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx all for the comments.

1 - I just ordered the Rennline pedal cover and lifter for gas only. I spoke to them and they seemed like a good company. The rep told me they have this conversation about 997 gas pedal all the time - to far to heel toe. I was apprehensive about ordering their part because I have to drill into the existing pedal instead of just clamping like my old Wings pedal. I wish I found another solution but did not. The rep did address my desire to remove the pedal for track work in that I would remove the pedal but leave the flat lifter plate in place. The lifter plate is what is screwed into the pedal, is thin and lays flat. Works for me.
2 - Interesting the different comments on 997 heel-toe 'ability of this car. I suspect that brake pedal heights vary possibly due to pad thickness, variability in manufacturer adjustment or whatever.... but my brake point is just to darn high above my gas pedal for casual heel-toeing. Heel toeing is just such a part of my driving that I have to have it hence me ordering the Rennline setup.
3 - For those who don't rev match..... oh well.

Peace
Bruce

Quick Reply: Heel Toe Problems '09 C2S