Sponsored by:

Life after 50 (...thousand miles)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rvp325carrera
2007 C4S. 6 speed. 53,500mi. Daily. Car seat fitted for my 3 yo son...bought it CPO @ 44k.

So far, so good. BEST daily in the world. As long as I can afford to, I'll drive 911s.

Replaced: alt cable, battery, drive belt. Oil ch every 7500 mi is a MUST.
I have to agree with rvp325carrera: my C4S is a 2006 bought at 36K miles. It has now 52 K miles and I have replaced tires (Pilot Super Sport), alternator cable, battery, drive belt, spark plugs and two coils. Oil is changed every 7500 miles as well. Filters are changed at least once a year.

I use it as a daily driver to take my daughter and friends to school and to go to work on a regular basis. I am not at all concerned by the IMS stuff, since it is a 2006 model year and my car gets driven on a regular basis.

I am thinking to install a third radiator and perhaps new 19 inches wheel when I have some spare money.

So far, so good.

Yves
Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I have just shy of 76,000 miles (picked it up at Zuffenhausen with 4 on it) and it continues to amaze with little maintenance issues. Of course, your experience may differ!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I have about 47k on my '05 as of now, bought it with about 20k. I had some random rattles (mainly the sunroof, and fixes don't seem to last long) and a starter wire that caused the car to have trouble on hot restarts. Those were taken care of during CPO. I gave in to paranoia and had the IMS bearing changed out for the ceramic one from LNE, and got a new clutch while they were in there. The clutch was about 50% worn, so it was a toss-up but I decided to go with it. It did greatly reduce the pedal effort. I also gave in to paranoia and got a long-term bumper-to-bumper aftermarket warranty on it. I had one on my last car and it paid for itself and then some, so I decided to go with it on the Porsche. So far it paid out over a grand, but I still have another 3 grand to go, so time will tell. It's not so much I worry about major breakdowns as the fact that even the small repairs are quite expensive. A few of those can really mount up. $2500 as a self-insure reserve seems a bit low if what is meant is for the life of ownership.

The biggest issue I have thus far is deterioration from age. The paint used on the interior parts scratches off easily. I took the ashtray cover in to Home Depot and they scanned it and made me a little can of touchup that matches very well. And the carpets are fading. I probably should have had the rear and side windows tinted, I'm thinking of doing it now before it gets worse. I just don't like how it restricts vision at night. Recently I bought a custom-fit carpet mat for the rear deck from Suncoast, for $99 it's very nice, has the PORSCHE logo on it and everything.

And most recently, the seals in the A/C vents have begun breaking down from age and spewing out the vents. The dealer said the only real cure is to replace the evaporator box, and my warranty won't pay for it unless the evaporator is shot. The spewing seems to have stopped for the most part so maybe the worst is over. The dealer said it won't noticeably affect the A/C performance and so far it seems to be correct.
Wow, that's low mileage to have your carpets fading already - are you in a sunny part of the country? Does it sit outside a lot?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I have about 47k on my '05 as of now, bought it with about 20k. I had some random rattles (mainly the sunroof, and fixes don't seem to last long) and a starter wire that caused the car to have trouble on hot restarts. Those were taken care of during CPO. I gave in to paranoia and had the IMS bearing changed out for the ceramic one from LNE, and got a new clutch while they were in there. The clutch was about 50% worn, so it was a toss-up but I decided to go with it. It did greatly reduce the pedal effort. I also gave in to paranoia and got a long-term bumper-to-bumper aftermarket warranty on it. I had one on my last car and it paid for itself and then some, so I decided to go with it on the Porsche. So far it paid out over a grand, but I still have another 3 grand to go, so time will tell. It's not so much I worry about major breakdowns as the fact that even the small repairs are quite expensive. A few of those can really mount up. $2500 as a self-insure reserve seems a bit low if what is meant is for the life of ownership.

The biggest issue I have thus far is deterioration from age. The paint used on the interior parts scratches off easily. I took the ashtray cover in to Home Depot and they scanned it and made me a little can of touchup that matches very well. And the carpets are fading. I probably should have had the rear and side windows tinted, I'm thinking of doing it now before it gets worse. I just don't like how it restricts vision at night. Recently I bought a custom-fit carpet mat for the rear deck from Suncoast, for $99 it's very nice, has the PORSCHE logo on it and everything.

And most recently, the seals in the A/C vents have begun breaking down from age and spewing out the vents. The dealer said the only real cure is to replace the evaporator box, and my warranty won't pay for it unless the evaporator is shot. The spewing seems to have stopped for the most part so maybe the worst is over. The dealer said it won't noticeably affect the A/C performance and so far it seems to be correct.
A couple of things to do for your NEXT Carrera.

(1) Order more leather in the critical wear areas of the interior. That lousy soft 'slush finish' paint will never hold up compared to leather. I ordered leather in the higher wear areas. It makes a significant difference.

(2) If you insist on parking it outside in the sun all the time (1) keep the top up or (2) put a reflective car cover on it. Exposed to that amount of UV will accelerate the deterioration of the interior--and parts you can't even see. For example, the stuff that is failing and coming through the vents is not the vent seals, it's actually a black, large open-foamed material that is used to capture the moisture from the air conditioned air and have it drop into the tray and be gathered and expelled outside the car. With that stuff failing you will wind up with a considerable amount of moisture in your ducts and in a short while they will start to grow things (mold) and it will be a lot worse than you can imagine. You should deal with that soon or pay the consequences.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an '09 C4S with 91500 miles on it. It's my year-round daily driver. In the winter, it gets a set of snow tires and the rest of the year, it wears PSSs (I autocross in the warmer months here in MD). It has gone to the dealer every 10,000 miles for the scheduled service. The "odd" ones (10, 30, 50, ...) are primarily an oil change. The "even" ones are more extensive.

The only "repairs" were that the water pump started chirping about about 40k miles (and was replaced under warranty) and one of the high pressure fuel pumps failed at about 55k miles (and was replaced under a service bulletin). When it went in for the 90k, the front brakes got replaced. The clutch has been fine. The interior looks great (I garage it at home but it sits in the sun all day at work where I put a sun shade in the windsheild). The front bumper cover and hood have a number of small chips in the paint from stones and other road debris (I'd really like to get a clear cover on my next one).

It doesn't look like a new car but it's sure close. It runs and drives as well (or maybe better) as when it was brand new.

I'm actually on a waiting list for a 991 GT3. It will pick up the same routine - drive it every day (year round), autocross it (maybe add a few track days), and put 100k miles on it in 5 years and pick the next one

Scott
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
...Water pump went at 90,000. Air and Oil Separator went at 110,000. Aside from these two items, it's been maintenance only. Brakes, Oil, Filters, Plugs, Coils...
I've seen folks mention replacing coils along with plugs here quite often. Why on Earth would ignition coils be considered "maintenance items"? They should typically last the life of the car...

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Don't you think for the price you pay for one of these cars they'd better %$#in perform, or look out !
I think he was questioning their longevity, not their performance...
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 402 Posts

Bought mine in 2011 with around 36k on the odometer CPO'd. Am around 49k now and no major problems so far. Change the oil myself and drive it intermittently but regularly enough. PDK 2009 C4S launch car...other than wear on the side bolsters of the leather and some interior bits so far its been pretty solid. So much so that I don't think I need a 991 C4S upgrade.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP:

I bought my 2007 C2S daily driver 1.5 years ago, and have put 20k on it since. I'm still on original clutch, and the brakes have only been replaced once, but you definitely need to have some $$$ set aside for a rainy day. Aside from regular maintenance (oil, tires, filters, etc.), I've had to do the following non-scheduled repairs:

-PSE exhaust baffle ($600)
-Water pump ($800)
-Ignition coils ($500)
-New battery ($300)

There are also a few rattles from the dash, but i think that's hard to avoid. Overall, the ownership experience has been great, but cost-wise, it's not for the faint of heart.

Originally Posted by 1analguy
I've seen folks mention replacing coils along with plugs here quite often. Why on Earth would ignition coils be considered "maintenance items"? They should typically last the life of the car...
I just did my ignition coils for my 60k. My local indy shop said they had started to show signs of cracking, and so I replaced them at the same time as my spark plugs. Supposedly, these have been known to go bad. Not sure if I got hustled, but I figured that it was cheap peace of mind to just do it....
Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
A couple of things to do for your NEXT Carrera.

(1) Order more leather in the critical wear areas of the interior. That lousy soft 'slush finish' paint will never hold up compared to leather. I ordered leather in the higher wear areas. It makes a significant difference.

(2) If you insist on parking it outside in the sun all the time (1) keep the top up or (2) put a reflective car cover on it. Exposed to that amount of UV will accelerate the deterioration of the interior--and parts you can't even see. For example, the stuff that is failing and coming through the vents is not the vent seals, it's actually a black, large open-foamed material that is used to capture the moisture from the air conditioned air and have it drop into the tray and be gathered and expelled outside the car. With that stuff failing you will wind up with a considerable amount of moisture in your ducts and in a short while they will start to grow things (mold) and it will be a lot worse than you can imagine. You should deal with that soon or pay the consequences.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think there will be a next Carrera for me any time soon, as I intend keeping this one at least another 4 years. And if I do it will be a used one like this one was, so I won't be ordering anything. It's not that I insist on parking it outside in the sun, it's that there is no covered parking at my office, nor any place to store a car cover. As for the source of the vent foam leading to moisture nd mold, both the dealer and my independent mechanic told me no such thing will happen. As did several other local Porsche owners who had the same thing happen to theirs in the past. But if they are all wrong, and a problem occurs, my extended warranty will cover it, that I verified.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Gizmogirl256
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
I've had to replace the coils twice on my daily driver (60+K miles) but then I live in the Chicago area. I've been told they corrode easily when you're driving year-round with salt and slush on the roads. I probably don't wash it nearly enough in the winters to avoid some of that.

I picked up mine three years ago with 40K on it. Replaced water pump, plugs, coils (2x), clutch and battery. All pretty reasonable since it was pretty banged up around the edges. Now runs like a dream.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmogirl256
I've had to replace the coils twice on my daily driver (60+K miles) but then I live in the Chicago area. I've been told they corrode easily when you're driving year-round with salt and slush on the roads. I probably don't wash it nearly enough in the winters to avoid some of that.

I picked up mine three years ago with 40K on it. Replaced water pump, plugs, coils (2x), clutch and battery. All pretty reasonable since it was pretty banged up around the edges. Now runs like a dream.
Yikes! I'm retired and on a fixed income. I'm coming over from the Corvette side of things. After I sell two more vehicles I'll be able to afford to buy a nice 997.2 C2S, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to afford to keep one. Water pump, clutch, coils, etc. are not things that I would expect to be replacing on a car with only 40k on it. And, I know those parts all had the "Porsche tax" on them, too...

Quick Reply: Life after 50 (...thousand miles)