Sponsored by:

3M Paint Defender Spray review

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3M Paint Defender Spray review

I'd like to share my experience with this product in hopes that others might have a better experience. In short I followed the directions to a "T" watched the videos online, practiced my technique etc.... And still ended up not putting on enough product, so I ended up with a terrible looking result, and then a monster of a project to remove.

Here is what my experience was:
After driving to go pick up the product, and then watching an hour or so of all the videos of it I could find online- It then took me a almost three hours to wash and then mask and then wax the front end of the car. I'd recently done a clay bar to remove all contaminants....Otherwise I'd add in that time. Spraying on the product took 30 or so minutes. Some of the challenges that come up included Breeze blowing the material, Bugs landing in it while wet(be sure to have toothpicks handy) . Family needing my attention -make sure your spouse and kids know this will be an all day commitment. The last challenge being that it did not "feel good" as I was prepping and applying the product- usually when I'm working on my car I'm in heaven..I'm guessing that I got this feeling because everything that I've done to my "baby" has always felt/been top notch. I think because I felt I was maybe cutting corners(rather than having a true clear bra applied) it didn't feel enjoyable.

At the end of the day I had a car that looked like a patchwork quilt of smooth and then bumpy "orange peel" texture. In hindsight I must not have put enough of the product on, but as I was doing it, I thought for sure I had put too much on ..... and was going to get drips any moment. It was extremely hard to see the product on my white paint. I should have had a clue that I had not put enough on in that I only used 1can for the whole front end. But you only have a total of 10 minutes for application... So you have to just take it one section at a time and hope you got enough- but not too much. How anyone could do that -I have no idea.
After discovering this morning that it still looked as terrible as it did yesterday I decided I'd better get to removing the product before it really hardened and became resistant to water.
I spent 2 hours trying to remove the product from my car by scratching it off with my fingernails in less than dime size bits at a time. I'd normally never apply finger nail to paint. But this was the only way to scratch it off. Then I remembered one of the reviews I'd read on a corvette forum where the guy was complaining that it came off with high pressure water in a wash your own car garage. Luckily---sort of.... The product blasted right off.... But then (after paying as much for the use of the high pressure hose as the product) I got home and found that the car was covered in an adhesive like material that was all over the front end. Just like when you pull duct tape off of something. I spent three hours using a microfiber cloth and some quick wax and elbow grease to get all of it off. Then spent a couple of hours ( it became a blur at that point) re-clay baring the car and then polishing and then waxing. Thank god I've been able to return my beauty back to her former glory. Of course it's now 7:30pm and I haven't seen my family all weekend. I did learn however that I would be smart to not be penny wise and pound foolish in the future....and that I must really really want a clear bra.
If it was enjoyable that would be one thing, since we all love wasting time pampering our cars...but this felt like work, and I could easily have made enough money in a tiny sliver of a fraction of the time that this took to have paid someone to do a professional clear bra.
I bet the product could work as advertised --- I just wouldn't ever take the time to practice my technique enough to become a pro....and even then it would be really hard to know whether you had enough to actually protect against rock chips.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review...I have been wondering how good and how easy this product is to use. Sorry to hear that the product did not work out for you. I guess I will hold off for now.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow... that sucks. Thanks for sharing with us so we can avoid this product. Glad to see that you're back in good order w/o further issue.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I met a guy today at the track and his car looked great for what it is.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I saw this advertised and was suspicious right from the beginning. I am glad to hear a real-life experience. I was toying with this idea before putting my car on the track to protect it but now would rather "blue tape" it for that experience. Thanks for the posting.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Any other experiences? 3M typically makes good stuff ...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The learning curve is always a humbling experience.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
PTParks
Instructor

I think I'd limit the use of this product to the lower rear sections of fender edges or the inner fender liners. Product promises are usually inversely proportional to their actual performance.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
Product promises are usually inversely proportional to their actual performance.
Ain't that the truth!!

(note the use of the term "usually", i.e. in all fairness sometimes they do work )
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not dismiss the product yet since 3M is a reputable vendor. I would have called the 800 number on the spray can to get some direction from them. But I do understand SBPorsche's frustrations.

What was the cost of the product please?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

For future reference... with unproven products or products I need to gain expertise with I'll typically try them out on the under carriage 1st JIC.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I was thinking of this product to try on my beater car. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It was just under $100 for three cans of spray, a prep kit and a spray nozzle. I returned the two left over cans for like $50.... But I probably needed that second can - so you'd be at $75 for covering the front of the car. Biggest expense was my time.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Spray review