Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO expires in August... advice of what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Option #2.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

1. CPO 09+ Boxster/Cayman S ...if you must have warranty
2. 996 GT3 ...for minimal depreciation.

If you have the liquidity, then self-insure, i.e. be your own warranty provider. It's more profitable to sell than to buy warranty/insurance in the long run.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexb76 (OP) and others, I found an excellent thread response that may help US owners out over at 6speedonline. Yes, I'm new to rennlist, but I'm pretty good at finding info, and looking at extended warranty info as well because I'm trying to buy my first 997. For what it's worth, if depreciation is considered, I'd say you shold pay for a new after market warranty .

With the RIGHT warranty, you would have peace of mind and lose less money to depreciation over time (new money in means new money lost over time). Depreciation is something you face if you get the newer car or keep your current car, so its a constant in this equation. The real area for comparison is repair costs, assuming the difference between a 997.1 and 997.2 aren't that noticeable to a current 997.1 owner.

If the price to upgrade to a CPO'd 997.2 is $20k (not including time costs to actually find and purchase the car), you will come out cheaper just getting a solid and reputable aftermarket warranty to cover those repairs you are worried about. If the Costco warranty discussed below represents the quality and going rate for aftermarket warranties, $6K is much cheaper than the $20K (plus time costs) to upgrade.

The added benefit is...and you keep the car I'm sure you've grown to love. But..I'm not an owner....YET. So **HUGE** caveat to what I said above...it's just my uninformed opinion.

Click the link below, and go to post #14 by username:daberlin

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3786940

For others, here's the breakdown for a TLDR (too long didn't read):

From 6speedonline user daberlin -
Here was the weblink I used to do some research on my own:

http://www.costcoauto.com/vpp/about.aspx

1. Since I am California, I was re-directed on the phone to Costco/Affinity Auto Coverage when I called Costco's 1800 number. You are redirected if you live in Cali, KY, and MD. Otherwise your coverage will be with Century Warranty Services. They did ask for my Costco membership number in order to generate a quote.

2. I was told their coverage was an 'exclusive policy', meaning they list only the things that are NOT covered vice a laundry list of items that are. So, what I was told was not covered was the following:

a) routine maintenance items such as oil changes, brake pads and rotors.

b) accident damage that a car insurance policy would cover, glass, etc.

c) cosmetic items such as light bulbs.

We did discuss a series of 'what if's', and I must say I was impressed.

1. I asked about head/valve gasket failure, water pump failures, seals, window motors, electronic components, etc. I was told they were all FULLY covered including secondary damage to the engine (I gave the IMS as an example).

2. I was told wear and tear was also covered. Meaning, if the water pump shows signs of leaking or the reservoir shows signs of leaking, it is fully covered and does not require failure of the part for replacement.

3. I was told that the warranty is FULLY transferrable if the car was sold and can be transferred to someone who is not a costco member. Additionally, I was told the warranty is pro rated upon termination. So for example if the car was written off in an accident, you will get refunded the remaining portion of the warranty.

4. I was told that the coverage is to any repair shop of our choice, including Porsche dealers.

5. I was told the policy includes both roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

So here was my quote for my 2009 Carrera C2 (also with 10% down and 18 months 0% interest):

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$6,925 ($100 deductible)

$5,303 ($250 deductible)

$4,207 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$4,573 ($100 deductible)

$3,585 ($250 deductible)

$2,918 ($500 deductible)

Just as a data point, I also asked for a quote on my 2010 Audi Q5:

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$3,348 ($100 deductible)

$2,740 ($250 deductible)

$2,285 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$1,756 ($100 deductible)

$1,546 ($250 deductible)

$1,389 ($500 deductible)

Last edited by Linwoodc3; 07-04-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: changed to show Costco warranty is likely more useful to US owners
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^ Linwood, that was very informative. Thx!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

That sounds look a good policy... thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Based on your post, the tone of your post, I'd say #1. You must be sure you get a good warranty but I believe this will give you the peace of mind I gather (some from reading between the lines of your post) you seek.

Be sure "tracking" or the suspension mod's do not invalidate the warranty.

Of course, you also want to be sure you have adequate insurance in case you have a serious "off" at the track. A serious "off" at the track that is not covered by your car insurance can result in a huge hit to your bankroll just like an non-warrantied engine problem.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Costco would not do a policy on a Porsche in Texas. Called last week.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Mine's an '05, had about the same mileage when my CPO expired. I had a clutch and LN IMSB retrofit done, plus got a 6 year B2B extended warranty. I'm 2 years into it and already (just) broke even on the cost. I'm not much of a DIYer. I just had the windows filmed and did rear brakes. My plan at the moment is to keep the car another 3 years, sell it privately with 1 year left on the warranty (it is transferable on a private sale). At that time perhaps I will look for a good deal on a used 991 base with manual trans (if I can find one! Every car I saw at the dealer is an automatic ). I looked at a 997.2 but it's really almost the same car but would cost me at least $25K to move.

Ben, IMSB done? Your 2005 must have a very early production date. Am I correct??
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Alex, i think our cars are bulletproof. Im sure you have had cars out of warranty that lasted. The porsche should not be any different. How much do you "fear" your car will need a major repair? Being part of this group, i have lost the fear to diy should anything go wrong. We also have so much knowledge to do what needs to be done to prevent those expensive repairs. I personally think warranty is like car accident insurance. Peace of mind is all it gives you. For the past 4 years you have not gotten into an accident but you keep paying, just for peace of mind. If cpo is cheap enough get the peace of mind and drive it like your use to. If expensive dont and still drive it like your suppose to our cars will last. Just my sharing.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 AM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerg
Costco would not do a policy on a Porsche in Texas. Called last week.
That sucks Greg, I'm still looking for my 997, but got a Costco quote on a 2008 two weeks ago for VA. Sorry bro :-(
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with my '07 at 37 K miles. This car has never needed more than regular maintenance, tires and a replacement alt/starter harness.( $ 90 DIY ) and a few coolant tank caps. As reliable as any car I have ever owned. No plans for extended warranty, selling or trading it in. Will continue to enjoy the car as much as I have since I bought it.

Quick Reply: CPO expires in August... advice of what to do next?