Sponsored by:

Spoiler Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
You don't need to do 140 mph to change the dynamics of air flow on a car, even at legal highway speeds any additions or deletions will change the balance. Porsche 911's are already rear biased due to being rear-engined and putting more down force in the rear will lighten up the front even more.

And yes I am an aeronautical engineer.
You win!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche 911's are already rear biased due to being rear-engined and putting more down force in the rear will lighten up the front even more.

I must confess this is a little bit counterintuitive to me. I don't understand how a downward force on the rear leads to an upward force on the front. Basically in my simplistic view, the only way to lighten the front is to reduce the gravitational force pulling downward with a counter force. What creates this force? Aerodynamics is not one of my strong suits. Does pushing down on the rear do something like force more air under the car which pushes up on the front a bit?

After thinking about the handling of these cars for a bit, it seems that the wing needs to be on the front to help control the rampant understeer. I wonder if a cabrio would look good with a big wing hanging off the hood.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 PM
BLKonBLKC4S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to do 140 mph to change the dynamics of air flow on a car, even at legal highway speeds any additions or deletions will change the balance. Porsche 911's are already rear biased due to being rear-engined and putting more down force in the rear will lighten up the front even more.

You might be an aeronautical engineer, but you do not even know your own car. At 75 MPH, YOUR car deploys the rear spoiler/wing. If the car was so rear biased as you say due to the rear engine why would the high paying engineers at Porsche feel the need to add more down force at higher speeds? It must be because you know more than them and have been building cars longer..NOT! The added wing to my car and what the OP is looking for just stays up at speeds under 75. Besides the Turbo's, GT3's, and GT2's all have wings that are deployed all the time. Did Porsche s "screw up" the engineering on those cars? You might want to call them and let know...LMAO

Also, my car is in the shop now getting the GT3 front bumper and Porsche highly recommends that you have a wing on the rear.

Now that I have said all of that......I do not track my car. All of my mods for the most part are aesthetic. I really could care less what you think about me adding a wing or the GT3 front bumper for that matter. I like the way it looks and its my car. Do what you want or don't want with your own car, thats why it is yours!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I am not speaking for him, but the Turbo is not what was asked, it is a totally different look than putting a Spoiler on an NA car.

I like the way a Turbo looks, but prefer NA clean.
What he said!!

Tom
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLKC4S
You might be an aeronautical engineer, but you do not even know your own car. At 75 MPH, YOUR car deploys the rear spoiler/wing. If the car was so rear biased as you say due to the rear engine why would the high paying engineers at Porsche feel the need to add more down force at higher speeds? It must be because you know more than them and have been building cars longer..NOT! The added wing to my car and what the OP is looking for just stays up at speeds under 75. Besides the Turbo's, GT3's, and GT2's all have wings that are deployed all the time. Did Porsche s "screw up" the engineering on those cars? You might want to call them and let know...LMAO

Also, my car is in the shop now getting the GT3 front bumper and Porsche highly recommends that you have a wing on the rear.

Now that I have said all of that......I do not track my car. All of my mods for the most part are aesthetic. I really could care less what you think about me adding a wing or the GT3 front bumper for that matter. I like the way it looks and its my car. Do what you want or don't want with your own car, thats why it is yours!
wow, one of THOSE guys.........
Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Luckymba
Instructor

Since this post is already getting a bit chippy why not add fuel to the fire. A wing on a NA car looks great if you have a mullet. I can't help but think about those poor 911s of yester-year that were modded with whale tales. Righteous!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no spoiler
+ 1
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
... A wing on a NA car looks great if you have a mullet. ...
I bet that this NA car looks great to both mullet guys and non-mullet guys.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought my 997 I was looking for something without a spoiler. I didn't want the, "HEY I AM TRYING TO BE A GT3" look. Problem was the car I found that had the mileage and options I wanted happened to have an aerokit installed. I could still do without it but it has grown on me.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by BLKonBLKC4S

I think you not considering the entire car's aerodynamics. Yes of course Porsche spent millions in aerodynamically balancing the car and yes everybody knows the rear wing deploys at 75+mph, BUT what happens if an owner just adds a spoiler here and there? That will upset the original and intended aerodynamics. No that hard to understand, is it?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by Rotmilky
I must confess this is a little bit counterintuitive to me. I don't understand how a downward force on the rear leads to an upward force on the front. Basically in my simplistic view, the only way to lighten the front is to reduce the gravitational force pulling downward with a counter force. What creates this force? Aerodynamics is not one of my strong suits. Does pushing down on the rear do something like force more air under the car which pushes up on the front a bit?

After thinking about the handling of these cars for a bit, it seems that the wing needs to be on the front to help control the rampant understeer. I wonder if a cabrio would look good with a big wing hanging off the hood.
Think a very stiff chassis, you push down on one end and you lighten up the other end. Another way of visualizing it is when you accelerate hard from a stand still, the weight transfer causes the front wheels to lighten up and the reverse when you brake very hard.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Luckymba
Instructor

So saw one with a wing today on the way to work. While I wasn't blown away, it didn't look too bad. Got me thinking how nice it is to have the flexibility we have with this car. If you want the elegant traditional look you can go stock. If you want the aggressive look, throw on a wing. So many of the other comparable brands it's either one or the other.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I grew up loving the big tea tray cars of the 80's. a spoiler for me was one of the first things to do. I also added a front lip spoiler to help add a little downforce to the front. At speeds over 90 or so our cars get very light footed up front. Not sure it does anything but every car that leaves the factory with a fixed wing has a front lip spoiler on it.
I am not an engineer tho so what do I know

Quick Reply: Spoiler Recommendations