Sponsored by:

Pedal to the metal question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
His car should be in a low gear at high rpm when this happens, though, with instant and powerful throttle response, though, should it not? What he's describing seems to be high rpm but no power.
I'm doubting 911Steve's perceived lack of power after throttle lift. I remember being disconcerted too when I first experienced it (5 minutes into a test drive). Now that he knows that the Tiptronic is designed to not upshift right away, I want to see a follow-up report from him on this issue after he has lifted and then put the pedal to metal to realize instant response.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Steve
RPM of course revs high but the car seems to not accelerate.
Is this normal upon fast hard pedal to the metal for the car not to kick into gear until the RPMs go down.
This also happened on the freeway moving at about 65 mph then smashed the pedal to get around someone and the car just high reved and did not kick in until revs went down.
The OP seemed to be pretty clear at multiple times that smashing the throttle resulted in no acceleration, just higher RPMs. Acceleration didn't occur until RPMs dropped as would happen if the trans stopped slipping and the car started accelerating afterwards.

Never did he make mention of suddenly releasing the throttle until someone else interjected with it. You usually let off the throttle once you have accelerated to your desired speed.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrazy
The OP seemed to be pretty clear at multiple times that smashing the throttle resulted in no acceleration, just higher RPMs. Acceleration didn't occur until RPMs dropped as would happen if the trans stopped slipping and the car started accelerating afterwards.

Never did he make mention of suddenly releasing the throttle until someone else interjected with it. You usually let off the throttle once you have accelerated to your desired speed.
I agree with McCrazy.

OP's post seems to imply that his transmission is slipping during the high speed passing situations. IE, revs go up but not much acceleration taking place.

OP to see if it is indeed the transmission slipping and not your perceived sense of delay following the forced downshift do the following:

Put your transmission in the manual mode, manually downshift to 3 gear and do a pull on the freeway from 50-100. Do it a few times. This eliminates the transmission downshift and transmission programing from the equation. If acceleration is line with the increase in RPMs, you are most likely fine and it is transmission programing or your perception. If your RPMs go up but car is not accelerating, your transmission is slipping.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 AM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I'm doubting 911Steve's perceived lack of power after throttle lift. I remember being disconcerted too when I first experienced it (5 minutes into a test drive). Now that he knows that the Tiptronic is designed to not upshift right away, I want to see a follow-up report from him on this issue after he has lifted and then put the pedal to metal to realize instant response.

If this happens again I will certainly try to release the pedal slowly instead of instantly releasing as I did do. I will also do a follow up.
I took on the fwy yesterday and pulled hard from 3rd gear in the manual mode and then put in auto and car work flawlessly. I got off the fwy and re entered hard up shifting in manual
got to about 92 mph and let go of throttle didn't want to get a ticket. No issues.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Steve
Thanks, for the info...Just curious did you trade for a MT?
I did. I loved having a manual... I would have gladly kept it but lost it to "superstorm" sandy. Had to think long and hard on what to do next. Test drove a pdk, its was a world away from the tip. The convenience of a PDK won. I live in NYC and wifey doesnt drive a manual... if I had room for a 3rd car or if I lived in a suburban setting I would have still opted for a manual.

Quick Reply: Pedal to the metal question?