Sponsored by:

Pedal to the metal question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal to the metal question?

I have had in a few cases trying to get on freeway smash of the pedal hard to move around someone in my 2006 carrera s tip the RPM of course revs high but the car seems to not accelerate. When the RPMs go down then the car will be ok. Is this normal upon fast hard pedal to the metal for the car not to kick into gear until the RPMs go down. This also happened on the freeway moving at about 65 mph then smashed the pedal to get around someone and the car just high reved and did not kick in until revs went down. Thanks for you comments in advance.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch slipping?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

It's a tiptronic he says, no clutch there, right?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
It's a tiptronic he says, no clutch there, right?
Well, there is but I know what you mean.

To the OP: Unless the rear tires are breaking loose under marginal traction conditions you need the car looked at.

Could be something like a broken tranny or engine mount -- I hope anyhow -- but it could be the early warning signs of a sick Tip.

An experienced tech can advise you.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replys..just was wondering if it was under a rev limiter to protect the engine.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a rev limiter, but the experience of that is not what you describe.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 AM
McCrazy
Instructor

There are clutch packs and bands in automatic transmissions that could be slipping when you floor it but allow you to still accelerate under normal conditions.

Another possibility is you have some sort of valving or programming that is messed up.

Either way, time for the car to go get checked out and serviced.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

sub'd
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Steve
I have had in a few cases trying to get on freeway smash of the pedal hard to move around someone in my 2006 carrera s tip the RPM of course revs high but the car seems to not accelerate. When the RPMs go down then the car will be ok. Is this normal upon fast hard pedal to the metal for the car not to kick into gear until the RPMs go down. This also happened on the freeway moving at about 65 mph then smashed the pedal to get around someone and the car just high reved and did not kick in until revs went down. Thanks for you comments in advance.
This normal. When you stomp the gas pedal, the Tiptronic downshifts. If you then take your foot off the gas pedal (instead of gradually releasing it), it will stay in that lower gear for several seconds. You'll learn to take advantage of this feature.

Here is how the Owner's Manual describes it:
Depending on the way the vehicle is driven and on the resistance (e.g. uphill), the gear-changing points are shifted towards higher or lower engine speed ranges. The accelerator position, driving speed, engine speed, longitudinal and lateral acceleration and the road profile all have an influence on the gear-changing characteristic.

Unwanted upward shifts, e.g. before bends, are prevented by swiftly releasing the accelerator pedal.

Depending on lateral acceleration, upward changes on bends are not made until the engine speed limit is reached.

Under braking, and depending on the amount of deceleration, the Tiptronic changes down earlier. For subsequent cornering, the right gear is engaged when pressure is applied to the brakes before the bend. The bend is taken in the right gear, and when you accelerate out of the bend you do not have to shift down.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a tip, had this same experience, deemed normal. This is one of the reasons I got rid of it...

EDIT: I had it looked at, changed the tranny fluid too - nothing more that can be done. This is how these tranny's are
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

time for pdk upgrade me thinks!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=alpine-al;10695533]This normal. When you stomp the gas pedal, the Tiptronic downshifts. If you then take your foot off the gas pedal (instead of gradually releasing it), it will stay in that lower gear for several seconds. You'll learn to take advantage of this feature
Under braking, and depending on the amount of deceleration, the Tiptronic changes down earlier. For subsequent cornering, the right gear is engaged when pressure is applied to the brakes before the bend. The bend is taken in the right gear, and when you accelerate out of the bend you do not have to shift down.

Sorry for the double post.....
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=911Steve;10697029]
Originally Posted by alpine-al
This normal. When you stomp the gas pedal, the Tiptronic downshifts. If you then take your foot off the gas pedal (instead of gradually releasing it), it will stay in that lower gear for several seconds. You'll learn to take advantage of this feature
Thanks this is good news, I needed to hear this from someone....I assumed that this was some kind of safety feature for the engine / tranny. I just don't like the fact that if you need to get out of someone's way really quick, the car literally does not have gear contact that can cost you your life. Your right I let go of the accelerator and did not slowly release. I will need to do this next time.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Had a tip, had this same experience, deemed normal. This is one of the reasons I got rid of it...

EDIT: I had it looked at, changed the tranny fluid too - nothing more that can be done. This is how these tranny's are
Thanks, for the info...Just curious did you trade for a MT?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
This normal. When you stomp the gas pedal, the Tiptronic downshifts. If you then take your foot off the gas pedal (instead of gradually releasing it), it will stay in that lower gear for several seconds. You'll learn to take advantage of this feature.

Here is how the Owner's Manual describes it:
Depending on the way the vehicle is driven and on the resistance (e.g. uphill), the gear-changing points are shifted towards higher or lower engine speed ranges. The accelerator position, driving speed, engine speed, longitudinal and lateral acceleration and the road profile all have an influence on the gear-changing characteristic.

Unwanted upward shifts, e.g. before bends, are prevented by swiftly releasing the accelerator pedal.

Depending on lateral acceleration, upward changes on bends are not made until the engine speed limit is reached.

His car should be in a low gear at high rpm when this happens, though, with instant and powerful throttle response, though, should it not? What he's describing seems to be high rpm but no power.

Quick Reply: Pedal to the metal question?