Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Reality Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pollen filter is 13 bucks on pelican ... http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...572-219-02-M67

It's slightly easier to put in than a home A/C filter. Fire your dealer, they are obviously not interested in your business.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Just because I can pay an $800 bill doesn't mean I have to think it's ok--especially when a monkey could do any of the items on the list.
Right - and this was the point of my original point. The $800 isn't going to impact my life. However, I hate being taken advantage of. This was my first time at this newly opened dealer and I was curious. Lesson learned and good advice on this thread.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

There are plenty of items a 997 owners can do themselves to avoid this, even if not at all familiar with things mechanical. Is it convenient to DIY? For some yes, for others no and there's nothing wrong with that. But savings when it comes to labor can be significant when attacking a project yourself. Not speaking of a clutch change, just the basic maintenance items.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 PM
MyEmily
Racer

$80 for wiper blade? Did I missed something here?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after following a question from a new 997.2 owner on a car that has a CPO Warranty.

Do I need to go to a Porsche dealer to do my regular scheduled maintenance to maintain my warranty or can I do basic service my self / take the car to my independent shop that has been working on my P cars for 10 years? ( and maintain warranty?)

The prices for service that were described in the opening post are so out if hand.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

If it included a full oil service, and full filter service, although expensive it's not that outrageous. Here in Canada, just Oil service costs $600+tax.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its a little high, but its not the rape everyone is making it out to be.

Any dealer will be $150 per hour for these cars, and the parts will be at full list.

Looking at that list, I don't see anything padded. The parts cost is high, but 2.5 hours of labor doesn't seem out of line for what was done, including the time spend to pull the car in, put it on the lift, etc.

its not unicef, its a high end car dealer. If you find this unreasonable, do it yourself or find a much cheaper indy.
+1... it's a bit high, and not sure if you needed ALL of those parts, services, but I bet if you decided to do exactly the same service at an indy, it would have been $100-200 cheaper, and that includes if you took the time, ordered the parts in advance, etc, etc... you paid for the convenience I guess.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
$80 for wiper blade? Did I missed something here?
I just got a pair of Gen-you-ine Porsche wiper blades from Suncoast for $43. Came in a nice Porsche box..

MSRP is listed as $59.13. I guess the extra $20 was to install them
Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it expensive? Yes. But you're not driving a Kia. Most here are also forgetting what else goes into a Yearly Service besides just an oil change and "inspection". Basic 10k services will vary in price depending on any number of factors, but the Yearly will usually include clearing of the radiators and body drains (including rears below conv. top), lubricating of all hinges and actuators (including for conv. top), testing and refilling the battery, and yes, the Porsche model specific and time based inspection. Throw in some overpriced filters with labor to do all of this and you can easily reach that price.

Can it be cheaper? Yes. Can you handle a lot of it yourself if you are so inclined? Yes. But the same principle goes for an expensive meal out... You can purchase and prepare everything from steak to fine wine yourself, or you can spend your time doing other things while spending your money having someone else purchase, prepare, serve, and then clean it up for you.

Same goes for your $85k+ 911.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
That's really expensive ... unless they looked at the service history and decided it has been four years and you needed a brake flush, gearbox oil change, coolant flush ... maybe a battery too
Brake fluid is every two years. For the cost that OP paid, I bet they did that. I just had my 2012 GTS in for its two year service that included brake fluid change and it was only about 450.00. Of course mine was only 2 years old, so no plugs replaced.

OP should have asked what would be done and at what cost. My dealer always tells me that up front. I am pretty sure that one of the questions Porsche asks customers on surveys following service work is related to actual cost of service vs estimated cost. Service advisor should have given him an estimate.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Knowing the cost of the service prior, is far better than finding out at the pay desk when all is done.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

I called two Porsche dealerships when my 996 was due for it's 60,000 mile service. The one in Raleigh, NC quoted me $1400 IIRC and the Fayetteville, NC dealership quoted me $900. I also gave the service managers my e-mail address and requested they send me the list of items taken care of during the service. Surprisingly, the Fayetteville service covered more items.

Guess which one got my business...
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Heath
So after following a question from a new 997.2 owner on a car that has a CPO Warranty.

Do I need to go to a Porsche dealer to do my regular scheduled maintenance to maintain my warranty or can I do basic service my self / take the car to my independent shop that has been working on my P cars for 10 years? ( and maintain warranty?)
Service advisor at my local dealer very grudgingly told me that the factory warranty and CPO are NOT dependent on dealership service. If you do it yourself or hire an indy, I would DEFINITELY document the work that was done. The policy of honoring the CPO seems to be spotty from one store to the next and having your service done somewhere else makes for a handy excuse to decline your warranty claim.

Originally Posted by McCrazy
I called two Porsche dealerships when my 996 was due for it's 60,000 mile service. The one in Raleigh, NC quoted me $1400 IIRC and the Fayetteville, NC dealership quoted me $900. I also gave the service managers my e-mail address and requested they send me the list of items taken care of during the service. Surprisingly, the Fayetteville service covered more items.

Guess which one got my business...
Leith Porsche strikes again (strikes out, that is).
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

unfortunately those prices are typical for 'maintenance' they do. 2-3 hours of 'work' and some additional imaginary 'service' and so it comes to $800.

for those reasons alone it is way better to have your own local indi mechanic you could trust (a bit as he also would be money hungry) but indi people are usually less inclined to create artificial bills for replacement of $60 charcoal air filter.

it is also a reason why most of us fix our cars on our own. it saves a ton of $$$.

I never did any maintenance at the dealer and never had problems getting CPO coverage for repairs I did at the dealer while CPO lasted. Now I am in free falling mode and it makes life easier somewhat.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
If it included a full oil service, and full filter service, although expensive it's not that outrageous. Here in Canada, just Oil service costs $600+tax.
it is an old trick - they lift up your car and let oil drip out for 2 hours then they charge full labor for all lift time.

Quick Reply: Need Reality Check