Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matte clear plasti dip on grey 997s

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to anyone who likes this product please feel free to PM me as I happen to be an authorized DipYourCar installer and retailer here in SW FL. I would give the address to my website but am not a sponsor here on the boards.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
SPDR
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you that aren't feeling the matte finish, plasti dip does offer a product to give a gloss finish they call "Glossifier". My question is: Does the finished product have a smooth texture or is is like lizard skin?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
thanks for the compliments guys, it costs me 500 cnd for the guy to do the whole car, he did a really good job, every one that sees my car asked if i got a new paint job, and yeah plasti dip is really easy to remove and does not affect original paint at all easier to remove than vinyl.
Only $500 bucks ! Wow, why would anyone want to spend the time on this themselves when you get a pro to do it at that price..I vote this as the second best mod out there in that price range !!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks great! Rotes - that avatar is NSFW!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

entire car in 3 hours? amazing. how many cans did he use?
Their website shows that they sell the stuff pre-thinned in sprayable gallons. I'm assuming that's what the installer used. A small car like a 911 would use maybe two gallons?

I'd love to watch that stuff being applied. I imagine most of the time it took was just in masking and peeling off overspray. The spraying of a couple coats of matte topcoat wouldn't take much time at all.

I was in Vienna last week. I saw a new Mercedes CLS done in matte silver. I stopped and took a couple pics but between the bad lighting and the scowl on my wife's face, I didn't get very good pictures of it. I can tell you it looked amazing--like freshly poured molten metal. The OP's car has me thinking about doing my whole C2 in this stuff--maybe even doing it myself.

There are occasionally issues with staining on polymer pieces with the darker colors. I believe this is usually temporary. Anybody else dipped a car?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Do it
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks cool, I'll be interested in how it looks in 5 years after washing and maintenance and use of the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
Your post couldn't have come at a better time. I just got my anthracite Plasti Dip in the mail last week that I'm going to use for my Carrera 2s and for my rock shield on my fenders if I have enough left over after doing the wheels.

My car is a Meteor Gray Cab so other than having different wheels, now I know almost exactly what it's going to look like when I'm done.

I'll post pics when I finish. Prolly do this in the next three weeks.
Dying to see the rock shield in anthracite, I've been debating on doing that on my car...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPDR
For those of you that aren't feeling the matte finish, plasti dip does offer a product to give a gloss finish they call "Glossifier". My question is: Does the finished product have a smooth texture or is is like lizard skin?
I only did my rear emblem, 4 coats of Black and 3 coats of Glossifier and it's smooth to touch
Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 AM
XteaK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks amazing!, I do have a couple questions though, anyone knows if the rear bumper proximity sensors can be covered with this product, without affecting the sensibility?
Also, how long can you have this product installed before it starts showing wear and tear?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by Minok
Looks cool, I'll be interested in how it looks in 5 years after washing and maintenance and use of the car.
it would be worn off without tending to it in five years

Their website shows that they sell the stuff pre-thinned in sprayable gallons. I'm assuming that's what the installer used. A small car like a 911 would use maybe two gallons?

I'd love to watch that stuff being applied. I imagine most of the time it took was just in masking and peeling off overspray. The spraying of a couple coats of matte topcoat wouldn't take much time at all.

I was in Vienna last week. I saw a new Mercedes CLS done in matte silver. I stopped and took a couple pics but between the bad lighting and the scowl on my wife's face, I didn't get very good pictures of it. I can tell you it looked amazing--like freshly poured molten metal. The OP's car has me thinking about doing my whole C2 in this stuff--maybe even doing it myself.

There are occasionally issues with staining on polymer pieces with the darker colors. I believe this is usually temporary. Anybody else dipped a car?
yes, I have dipped multiple cars and one of my current cars is dipped matte black right now but it's my beater.

I would NOT recommend dipping an entire 911 by yourself. Dip the wheels, emblems, etc. Not the whole car. It just doesn't look perfect enough in person to pull off a 911 unless professionally done with a nice expensive spray gun. Don't attempt it with a home kit.

Originally Posted by A.J. Merrifield
Dying to see the rock shield in anthracite, I've been debating on doing that on my car...
I'd like to see it too since my wheels are dipped Anthracite.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by Minok
it would be worn off without tending to it in five years

yes, I have dipped multiple cars and one of my current cars is dipped matte black right now but it's my beater.

I would NOT recommend dipping an entire 911 yourself. Dip the wheels, emblems, etc. Not the whole car. It just doesn't look perfect enough in person unless it's professionally done with a huge spray gun and controlled environment. even then many people manage to mess it up.

Originally Posted by XteaK
Looks amazing!, I do have a couple questions though, anyone knows if the rear bumper proximity sensors can be covered with this product, without affecting the sensibility?
Also, how long can you have this product installed before it starts showing wear and tear?
The bumper sensors will still work but their distance COULD be affected. It's best not to cover over them if possible.

It will start to show wear on the car within 2-3 years if not touched up in the meantime and sooner on items like wheels.

here are some pics of my anthracite metallic wheels. like many of you have guessed, it's the prep/takedown that takes forever.

4 coats per wheel anthracite
2 thick coats per wheel glossifier

Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great! I have to look into it for mine.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Perk10--the wheels look great. I see you masked fenders and lug bolts but did you mask the tires as well? ...Or did you just spray the whole kit and kaboodle and the plasti-dip didn't stick to the tires?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
haivle
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow anthracite looks amazing on silver 997, now do the matte clear turn that thing into a matte silver
saw a mercedes cla amg matte silver with black rims the other day looks amazing

Quick Reply: Matte clear plasti dip on grey 997s