Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matte clear plasti dip on grey 997s

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 PM
forsa355
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Perk10 - it looks like you didn't mask the Porsche crest on the center caps. Did you just peel them afterwords? I'm about to dip my wheels and am wondering if I should mask the crest. Is there enough of a crease that you can just peel without masking?

thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by forsa355
Perk10 - it looks like you didn't mask the Porsche crest on the center caps. Did you just peel them afterwords? I'm about to dip my wheels and am wondering if I should mask the crest. Is there enough of a crease that you can just peel without masking?

thanks
The spray was thick enough that we could have peeled the crests just by using the "crease" in between the crest and wheel itself, however we edged it out slightly (and VERY carefully) with a razor blade in order to get the crest out without and mistakes.

So once you're done spraying (just completely spray over the crests) you will trace the outline of the crest lightly with a razor blade. THEN poke through on one of the corners and start to peel VERY slowly.

I took it a step further and glossed my wheels and made sure to gloss the heck out of the crests, this way there are no more exposed edges from the peel! And you would never know they are glossed as they look factory!

Originally Posted by haivle
wow anthracite looks amazing on silver 997, now do the matte clear turn that thing into a matte silver
saw a mercedes cla amg matte silver with black rims the other day looks amazing
thanks!

Originally Posted by Iceter
Perk10--the wheels look great. I see you masked fenders and lug bolts but did you mask the tires as well? ...Or did you just spray the whole kit and kaboodle and the plasti-dip didn't stick to the tires?
Thanks Ice! The way that it works is that you spray everything. The whole kit and kaboodle as you say and when you're done, peel off what is not needed.

The thicker the end result, the easier it is to peel. So in this case after spraying, we removed the masking from the lugs, valve stems and brakes/car.

The tires, however, simply peel off. Since it's rubber on rubber, the plasti dip doesn't stick to the tires and will wipe off in one careful swipe with a cloth!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Awesome. The one thing that's been keeping me from doing this (I got the anthracite cans last week) was trying to figure out how to effectively and neatly mask the tires. Now, no worries.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 AM
j_five
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dip looks really really good! Am considering this color or the stormcloudgrey dip pearl on my yellow 2001 996 (immaculate paint by the way, but just can't get into the yellow). Any tips or suggestions before heading to the shops for some quotes?

Originally Posted by haivle
hi guys just wanted to share my matte clear plasti dip on grey 997, it looks amazing in person and looks like its an actual matte paint finished. the rims are done anthracite plasti dip and it also looks like its original painted,just letting you know if anyone wanna do their rims or do matte finished to their car anthracite and matte clear is the way to go looks amazing
Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Where in NJ can I get my wheels done in plastidip? Central Jersey anywhere?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

hope you masked the radiator openings
Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM
haivle
Banned

here are some pictures of the yellow plasti dip they do, im amazed how cheap it is to change colors of ur car now and they look amazing

the 991 turbo above original colour is grey
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had some emblems plastic dipped on my lexus. biggest thing you have to be careful with it is age and time in the sun. after 3 years of the car being outside, the paint started to wear at the edges and you couldn't really peel it off anymore. i would be careful of that if you all are going to be parked outside or daily driven.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
JB in AR
Intermediate

Looks great! I'm about to take an extended roadvtrip bach East in a few weeks in my Bimmer, and I've been thinking of doing the front and a portion of the hood to protect against stone chips during the trip and then remove it when I'm back. Clear dip may just the thing.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

@Haivle,

Could you please give us an update about how the plastic dip on your car stood up with time?

Would you do it again.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nevadakid
@Haivle,

Could you please give us an update about how the plastic dip on your car stood up with time?

Would you do it again.

Thanks

What he said above. Thanks...

Quick Reply: Matte clear plasti dip on grey 997s