Window Regulator Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Regulator Replacement?

Anyone have a guide to interior door panel removal? Need to replace the window regulator in my 2006 S.

*** Disregard - found a microswitch replacement thread over on Renntech.org that has a pretty good overview. ***
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I may have had a similar problem. I sprayed electrical cleaner in the door latch, then silicone grease. After working it in a bit (opening and closing the door a bunch of times) it is working better.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine. It can be a DIY project. It took me 3 hrs. Mostly due to un-cooperating door lock connector. Part $250. Be extras careful of the door lock cable. The plastic part is easily broken. The toughest task is to remove the glass from the old regulator.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MyEmily
I just replaced mine. It can be a DIY project. It took me 3 hrs. Mostly due to un-cooperating door lock connector. Part $250. Be extras careful of the door lock cable. The plastic part is easily broken. The toughest task is to remove the glass from the old regulator.
Yeah very familiar with the 996 bits and doubt the 997 door lock internals are much, if any different. Just wasn't sure about how to get the interior trim off the door.

Funny, when they used to build regulators out of stamped metal "scissors" you might replace one over the life of the car. These Bowden cable and pulley affairs seem to be an almost constant maintenance item.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you found the info. We have a combo-instruction piece regarding door panel removal & window reg replacement that's helpful as well here.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

hi all,

not sure if i have same issue, but my 2003 C4S driver's side window no longer "adjusts down(or up)" when opening or closing the door. one guy said it's $600 for parts and labor - and most likely microswitch or the motor/ecu - but either way, it's the same price.
can you guys advise...is there a less expensive way, or just pay the $600 and get it done(i would have preferred to save the $ toward upgrading sound system).

thank you.
Patrick
03 C4S
Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the window still operates fine using the window controlls in the car, then it is indeed likely the system that signals the door handle is pulled/or the door is open. Most likely a mechanicaly driven part.

The windows stays partly down while the door is open, even without the handle pulled, so the car gets some information to the window regulator by the 'door open/closed' switch, but also from a switch that says the handle is pulled.

The logic is likely "If the handle is pulled OR the door is open, the regulator parks the window in the slightly down position, otherwise park the window in the full up position."

So I'd look at the way the handle communicates to the window regulator that the handle is pulled.. a microswitch seems like a prime way to implement that.

The part itself could be a $3 part.. depending on how Porsche implemented it. But that switch could be built into a larger component and not independently replaceable, which means a more expensive part (my VW New Beetle has a rear hatch latch that has a microswitch built in that is integral to the latch assembly, so the whole assembly must be replaced as a $80 part rather than just the $2 switch).

A lot of the labor is likely the disassembly of the door panel/contents and reassembly and pulling the car in and out of service bays. So IF you have the time and mechanical aptitude and patience (and a 2nd car you can drive it it takes you several days to do if you get stuck), then you can save some coin by doing it yourself... but consider what your own time spent on this task is worth to you. IF you enjoy doing the work, your time is free, because its a satisfying hobby you are doing.. just the parts cost you. If you don't like doing the work or wold rather do something else, then paying a shop to do it for you may be the better deal.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
hi all,

not sure if i have same issue, but my 2003 C4S driver's side window no longer "adjusts down(or up)" when opening or closing the door. one guy said it's $600 for parts and labor - and most likely microswitch or the motor/ecu - but either way, it's the same price.
can you guys advise...is there a less expensive way, or just pay the $600 and get it done(i would have preferred to save the $ toward upgrading sound system).

thank you.
Patrick
03 C4S
Question is, when you pull the handle slightly, do you hear the window motor run for a fraction of a second with no movement in the window?

If so, it's the regulator.

If not, it's likely a switch, or motor issue.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Glad you found the info. We have a combo-instruction piece regarding door panel removal & window reg replacement that's helpful as well here.

Mark/Pelican Parts
Thanks Mark.

Replaced the regulator but couldn't get the window to go all the way down.

It was only after looking back inside the door that I discovered the regulator had a two-position adjustable lower limit stop that I'd missed in spite of carefully comparing the new OEM part to the one that came out of the car. Once I positioned the stop at the lowest position everything worked fine.

This is a job that anyone can do in about an hour. The most fiddly bits were getting the door panel retention plastics "reset" so that they would pop back into the door panel the way they were designed.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

No sound whemn pulling interior or exterior handle, and no wiggle or play on Window either, but it does go up and down perfectly. inde guys that I called said eit regulator or window switches are $600 installed, and one indie had little experience with switches as he says he hasnt seen that much. My gut feel is that if switch, it should be less than $600?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad that worked out Doug!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach

It was only after looking back inside the door that I discovered the regulator had a two-position adjustable lower limit stop that I'd missed in spite of carefully comparing the new OEM part to the one that came out of the car. Once I positioned the stop at the lowest position everything worked fine.
I have been living with this problem for the last 2 years along with wind noise as my driver window was not fully flushed against door seal. Very fortunate to have come this during search. Fixed both problems today... What a relief! Enclosed are the two stops Doug was referring to for future use.

First pix shows upper stop. Second pix shows lowered stop...problem fixed!
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice work!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 09-07-2018, 04:53 PM
DaVinchy Vol
Track Day

Guys, sorry to resurrect this, but i have a similr issue
997 (06)
Right side window. At first the auto up would work weirdly, as in most of the time it didnt work. Then about a month ago upon lowering the window, heard a weird sound, cant really describe it, but almost like the window was dropping, but was caught. Then it started to act weird when opening closing the door (like it wouldnt set correctly), and then started to have issues going up (it would go up, but then would stop and come back down again). Then i started noticing that it didnt seal right with the door closed, so i would have to lower it a bit and then close it again. Then yesterday, after closing the car i noticed that the right side door didnt close (pulled the handle and the car opened). Later when i closed it again, it worked fine.

Poltergeist?
Old 08-14-2023, 12:02 PM
IrishLegend
Three Wheelin'

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Any updated information on this? My crunching window can now be pulled up and pushed down manually. Obviously the regulator. Anyone have an updated DIY?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Replacement?