Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 3.6 Engine for 2006 carrera 4 , need help locating one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
ThoroldImports
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need 3.6 Engine for 2006 carrera 4 , need help locating one.

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster and need help

I am trying to locate a new or lightly used 3.6L for a 2006 Carerra 4, 6 speed.

I am located just near Niagara Falls, Canada but shipping is not an issue if need be from the US.

The dealer wants $23k plus labor so essentially $28k+ for one with my core. I have seen them sold new from the US for $12k-$15k, anyone know where one is or have one for sale?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Got an email from Suncoast the other day. Not affiliated in any way.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....vBF6CBqw%3D%3D
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
ThoroldImports
AutoX

Thanks, calling now, will let you know.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Jump on that, engine almost never go on sale!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM
ThoroldImports
AutoX

Alright, here is where they were at.

$27XXX no core or with core return $16XXX plus, roughly $700 shipping x 2 because we have to send the core back.

So Canadian dollars for me is $16XXXUSD for engine+$1400 USD for shipping = $17,400USD + $1700 USD rough for tax and currency exchange = $19,100+ CAD. I assume I may also pay duty on that so it brings the total to $21XXX+.

So we beat the dealer here by roughly $1900 give or take.

Not bad I guess but not great
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoroldImports
Alright, here is where they were at.

$27XXX no core or with core return $16XXX plus, roughly $700 shipping x 2 because we have to send the core back.

So Canadian dollars for me is $16XXXUSD for engine+$1400 USD for shipping = $17,400USD + $1700 USD rough for tax and currency exchange = $19,100+ CAD. I assume I may also pay duty on that so it brings the total to $21XXX+.

So we beat the dealer here by roughly $1900 give or take.

Not bad I guess but not great
Where are you located? Can maybe then just drive south and get it done... unless your car has to be towed (most likely).
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
ThoroldImports
AutoX

Not an option, car is here in Niagara Falls area, Canada.

I just read a thread where a guy in the uk got his done for $6000 pounds, wowser, that was a deal.

I sourced another one that was cheaper but built for a tiptronic, I was told a tip will not work per say because of housing and shaft differences with the stick.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Dubbin'
Instructor

What happened to yours? Was it IMS?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

+1 , what was the issue?

Originally Posted by Dubbin'
What happened to yours? Was it IMS?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

If it's IMS, you've got til Oct 15 to jump in on the class action lawsuit.
http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/important-dates/
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
If it's IMS, you've got til Oct 15 to jump in on the class action lawsuit.
http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/important-dates/
Only up to MY2005 911s. OP is asking about a 2006.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an option, car is here in Niagara Falls area, Canada.

I just read a thread where a guy in the uk got his done for $6000 pounds, wowser, that was a deal.

I sourced another one that was cheaper but built for a tiptronic, I was told a tip will not work per say because of housing and shaft differences with the stick.
Having a few Canadian car guys, get the work done in the states and don't declare anything when you cross the border. No need for them to get their hands on your money.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM
ThoroldImports
AutoX

Here is what happened, not my car, it is a customers...

Low on oil, topped up, low on oil, topped up, on and on for months like this he went, usually 1-2 liters at a time according to him as he would see the level drop via the cluster. He claims not to see oil on the ground or garage floor the whole time.

Eventually he stops by our garage after this time, and tells the story (we specialize in Bmw's, Merc's, Rover's, Audi's etc) and have worked on his car in the past as well as his wife's Rover(s) for many years. Keep in mind he is not consistent with bringing the Porsche in for service and we had not seen it for well over a year...when was the last time he had it serviced is anyone's guess.

Any ways, upon bringing it in the codes simply read, cam shaft sensor, and multiple misfires. He was due for plugs and we were going to do coils and swap out the cam sensor at the same time among a few minor other non related things. At this time the car sounded as if it had a mis and a throaty sound and a slight loss of power. Oddly enough at this time if left to idle it seemed ok, start to drive it and you instant felt a power loss and heard the mis. Starting with coils, plugs and sensor seemed logical to start. We also looked for where all the damn oil was leaking from if not being burned.

We go forward with new plugs, coils, cam sensor and service (oil change). We notice immediately the car only surrender approx. 3 liters of oil! On a side note, Mercedes and bmw have gone this route of electronic oil level monitoring which drives us crazy. We have had customers come in with too much oil, trusting those readings is a game of roulette.

Fast forward, cam sensor, plugs, coils, fresh service, done. Codes are cleared and everything seemed ok for a short time after start up but once again go south, misfires and loss of power. Obviously his story and coupled with the fact he had just 3 liters of oil ment he could have done internal damage but no one wants to go there immediately and hoped for the best. On a side note he had the usual minor main seal leak but nothing out of the ordinary.

We did a fair bit of research on different possibilities and $1k+ later no luck. Time to go internal and borescope it. This was done recently to look for wear and the belief now is the timing is completely shot, may have done damage and here we are. I was also informed by a more local guy in Toronto these motors have issues with cylinder wall wear and oil loss. We won't know for sure for another day or two what the EXACT issue was that caused this but he will need a motor more than likely and we are preparing for that to give him options..

The car has just over 60000 km's on it, a damn shame. At this point one could easily say it is simply his fault (neglect) but we are scratching our heads as to what the original issue could have been to start the oil loss. Again no major leaks associated with losing that much oil, also the car seemed to be burning some oil at certain times but even still a helluvah lot of oil was being burned if that was the case.

Ona side note, we had a 2003 Merc Kompressor come in for service, one misfire on cyl #1detected. Owner mention he never had plugs or coils done at 160,000 km's so again, logically they get done and mis still there. Come to discover that motor is done as well, huge issues with the 2003 kompressors and mushrooming the valves causing misfires and need of new redesigned head that came out in 2005. That head here in Canada is $6k!

Moral of the story, sometimes a mis is just a mis, sometimes its a new motor.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

sounds eerily similar to what is happening to my friends 07 c2S.

60,000 km as well. loss of power upon starting and it was taken to pfaff (a porsche dealership in toronto) more the once. they had thought it was the battery and battery cables... a few months later it happened again... this time pfaff borescope'd the car and decided a new engine (thankgod for warranty).

Here is what happened, not my car, it is a customers...

Low on oil, topped up, low on oil, topped up, on and on for months like this he went, usually 1-2 liters at a time according to him as he would see the level drop via the cluster. He claims not to see oil on the ground or garage floor the whole time.

Eventually he stops by our garage after this time, and tells the story (we specialize in Bmw's, Merc's, Rover's, Audi's etc) and have worked on his car in the past as well as his wife's Rover(s) for many years. Keep in mind he is not consistent with bringing the Porsche in for service and we had not seen it for well over a year...when was the last time he had it serviced is anyone's guess.

Any ways, upon bringing it in the codes simply read, cam shaft sensor, and multiple misfires. He was due for plugs and we were going to do coils and swap out the cam sensor at the same time among a few minor other non related things. At this time the car sounded as if it had a mis and a throaty sound and a slight loss of power. Oddly enough at this time if left to idle it seemed ok, start to drive it and you instant felt a power loss and heard the mis. Starting with coils, plugs and sensor seemed logical to start. We also looked for where all the damn oil was leaking from if not being burned.

We go forward with new plugs, coils, cam sensor and service (oil change). We notice immediately the car only surrender approx. 3 liters of oil! On a side note, Mercedes and bmw have gone this route of electronic oil level monitoring which drives us crazy. We have had customers come in with too much oil, trusting those readings is a game of roulette.

Fast forward, cam sensor, plugs, coils, fresh service, done. Codes are cleared and everything seemed ok for a short time after start up but once again go south, misfires and loss of power. Obviously his story and coupled with the fact he had just 3 liters of oil ment he could have done internal damage but no one wants to go there immediately and hoped for the best. On a side note he had the usual minor main seal leak but nothing out of the ordinary.

We did a fair bit of research on different possibilities and $1k+ later no luck. Time to go internal and borescope it. This was done recently to look for wear and the belief now is the timing is completely shot, may have done damage and here we are. I was also informed by a more local guy in Toronto these motors have issues with cylinder wall wear and oil loss. We won't know for sure for another day or two what the EXACT issue was that caused this but he will need a motor more than likely and we are preparing for that to give him options..

The car has just over 60000 km's on it, a damn shame. At this point one could easily say it is simply his fault (neglect) but we are scratching our heads as to what the original issue could have been to start the oil loss. Again no major leaks associated with losing that much oil, also the car seemed to be burning some oil at certain times but even still a helluvah lot of oil was being burned if that was the case.

Ona side note, we had a 2003 Merc Kompressor come in for service, one misfire on cyl #1detected. Owner mention he never had plugs or coils done at 160,000 km's so again, logically they get done and mis still there. Come to discover that motor is done as well, huge issues with the 2003 kompressors and mushrooming the valves causing misfires and need of new redesigned head that came out in 2005. That head here in Canada is $6k!

Moral of the story, sometimes a mis is just a mis, sometimes its a new motor.

Last edited by myw; 02-26-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 AM
MyEmily
Racer

I have 105k on mine. No oil lost issue. Must be burning oil somewhere.

Quick Reply: Need 3.6 Engine for 2006 carrera 4 , need help locating one.