Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandalised 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear, hope some good comes out of it. Also hope the vandals get shot in the face!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a quote to refinish your OEM wheels ...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad to hear this man. I hope your insurance makes it right.

The lowlifes who do things like this should be publicly beheaded.

Having my 911 vandalized would be my biggest nightmare. Not so much because of monetary cost, but because I would be hard pressed not to find the **********s and break every bone in their body and shoot them afterwards.

It takes a special coward to vandalize a complete stranger's car out of jealousy or whatever else he is feeling.

/rant.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I agree with Sandwedge......YOU need to find the body shop......do not take the dealers recommendations sight unseen.

Ask a tech (if you know one you trust) in the Porsche service department what they think of the body shop recommendation the dealer gave you. They see all of the nightmares that come back!

Good luck!

Tom
Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my heart ached while reading this ! what BS!!!!!

karma is on your side brother, really sorry you had to go through that......
jealous people can really ruin the world!!!
what kind of wheels have you got?
good luck!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the support and advice guys.

This is like a bad dream, but at least I still have a Porsche and no one was hurt.
Regardless, I am stressed out and break out in cold sweats thinking about it.

This happened in Montreal, although I have heard of people being keyed in Halifax as well.

The panels are being removed for painting, so I'm not worried about them taping around the rubber seals.

My rims are Sport Design 19", they are going to be replaced by brand new rims instead of being refinished. $1900 CAD a piece.

I'm actually extremely glad that I did not catch the culprit, as I would be facing a murder charge instead of a repair bill.
Body shops are generally cheaper than criminal defense lawyers.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcoaster

This is like a bad dream, but at least I still have a Porsche and no one was hurt.

This happened in Montreal, although I have heard of people being keyed in Halifax as well.

The panels are being removed for painting, so I'm not worried about them taping around the rubber seals.

My rims are Sport Design 19", they are going to be replaced by brand new rims instead of being refinished. $1900 CAD a piece.

I'm actually extremely glad that I did not catch the culprit, as I would be facing a murder charge instead of a repair bill.
Good to hear that you are moving forward; the stress will lessen as your 911 becomes as it was again!

I never thought these things would occur in Montreal (or Canada) - that shows how naive I am.

I'm feeling for you but know that Karma will prevail...looking forward to seeing pics of your baby repaired!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

1. Sorry about your car. I have had cars vandalized to varying degrees and the cowardice of it infuriates me.

2. Assuming your insurance company is similar to ones in the States, you have the right to pick your bodyshop. The insurance company WILL strongly suggest a shop or shops that they have a good relationship with and they may not remind you that the choice is entirely up to you. I recommend you ask around at local high-end car clubs for shops that do good work. There is a body shop here in my city that does top-notch Porsche body and paintwork but I've lived here all my life and only just found out about it recently. You could have one local to you but you need to ask around to find it. A good shop will be happy to give you references.

3. Chemical dipping is generally frowned upon in the restoration circles that I hang around in. Dipping requires COMPLETE disassembly of a body panel so it's expensive and time consuming. Even if you decide to do it, your body shop will probably try to talk you out of it. It takes off paint and coatings where you don't want them taken off (inside doors and other confined spaces where you want a coating to remain to prevent rust). Once these coatings are removed, it can be difficult or impossible to re-coat them and rust will settle in immediately. I have also heard of situations (never seen this myself, could be a wive's tale) where panels that were dipped had small amounts of chemicals dribble out days later only to ruin freshly applied paint.

4. With a bad keyed paint job, sanding will be fine and actually necessary. Keying the paint down to the metal not only removes the paint and primer and some metal but it also leaves dents in the sheet metal. There will be some very minor filling necessary, I suspect.

Good luck with getting your car fixed.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter

3. Chemical dipping is generally frowned upon in the restoration circles that I hang around in. Dipping requires COMPLETE disassembly of a body panel so it's expensive and time consuming. Even if you decide to do it, your body shop will probably try to talk you out of it. It takes off paint and coatings where you don't want them taken off (inside doors and other confined spaces where you want a coating to remain to prevent rust). Once these coatings are removed, it can be difficult or impossible to re-coat them and rust will settle in immediately. I have also heard of situations (never seen this myself, could be a wive's tale) where panels that were dipped had small amounts of chemicals dribble out days later only to ruin freshly applied paint.
I'm no expert, but this is what my reaction was too. Watched the paint process the other day for 911's on How It's Made. The factory dips (dunks) the entire car in vats of liquid magic so that it gets EVERYWHERE. They use robots and operate in a clean environment. I would not want any local shop to remove that if they were not also going to re-do it.

I just got keyed from stem to stern and my insurance company recommended, and would only pay for, a shop that I wasn't confident in. I ended up researching and visiting two others (including the local Porsche authorized repair center) and went with the independent. I had them re-paint most of my car, not just the keyed side, because I wanted the entire car to look good rather than one side good and the other with 7 years of dings/scratches.

End result - it looks very good. The shop did a great job, but you should keep in mind that your local shop (regardless of how good they are) will not be set up to reproduce a factory paint job. Now that I've got mine back, I'm happy with it again, but I notice in certain light that the rear bumper is slightly off from the rest of the car (rear bumper did not get painted). Does this bother me? A little. But, before my painter even touched the car, he pointed out that my front bumper was off color from the body too (now it isn't because it got painted). I had never noticed it before he pointed it out. He suggested that the bumper had probably been repainted previously. Point is, it may not end up perfect. It may not have been perfect prior to the vandalism. Keep your expectations in check, use a good shop, pay the difference if you have to (I did), and I expect you will be happy when it is all done.

In the meantime, try not to worry too much. The damage is done. It will be fixed.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Remember it is just a car. I agree on your comment about lucky you did not catch them. I don't know what I would do either? While they did trash your car, no one was hurt. Who knows how many perp's were in on this vehicular beating. It could have been 3-5 people. You could have been beaten by those crackers. Fists, knives, guns or bats.
On choosing your shop. Get a few quotes. Inspect all their work, get some references. Check out some of your local car dealer shops. Often the GM/Ford/Honda/KIA, big owner groups all share one shop. My Ontario insurer let me choose my shop.
My Porsche dealership recommended their repair shop of preference a few years ago.
I got two quotes. One from a shop I used to use all the time. There Quote was to repair the panel and fix the lower diffuser of my 944T. The cost, $18oo. The Porsche recommended shop? Repaint most of the car, new diffuser, $6ooo.
It is a Porsche, insurance was paying the bill, it was my baby. I'm going with the Porsche dealer recommended shop. Boy did they ever hate me at the end. The insurance company paid me the finished invoice amount and I was to pay the shop. The car came back filthy, scratched window tint. Tape marks around the repair. The car went back 6 times to get it right. Was the more expensive shop worth it. NO. Would I have been better to blow in the panel and repair the diffuser and the less expensive shop? Yes.
Research- Don't be emotional. It is just a car. You have a story that you can tell. It is a shippy story, But a story you can tell all the same.
If you had of interrupted the perp's, that's a story you may not have been able to tell ...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I am so sorry man, it really really sucks. Was about to comment that how in the world it happened in NS, as I wouldn't have expected that, Montreal more likely.

Such low lives, I really do not understand how or why people would do such a thing. Are you sure it wasn't directed at you and not random? I find it a bit too extreme to be a random vandalism act.

In terms of repair, forget about what your insurance company says! Find THE BEST SHOP that has specialty on these cars, here in BC there are some premium auto-body shops that specialize and do Porsche's all the time and do a great job. Find a shop similar to that.

Your car depreciation would be harsh, but look at it this way, now you know you will own this car for a long time, so just get it fixed, then drive the heck out of it until it wheels fall off! In a way, maybe a silver lining that you may not worry about depreciation in the future and can just enjoy the car whichever way you like!

PS. Try to get those bastards, see if they can find a video of the street
Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

So I made the mistake of thinking I could park on the side of the road without having my car destroyed.

Some nice guy decided to go to town on my 911, and now I'm in a very rough spot.

The bastards keyed it all the way down to the metal as well as thrashing all 4 of my rims. They also kicked in the rear panel.

My insurance recommended a shop that they deal with, so I'm getting a quote from them.

The whole car needs to get repainted, and 4 new rims need to be ordered at $1900 a piece.

They are going to take off all the panels and sand them down for repainting. Should I get them chemically dipped instead?

They aren't even using oem paint, they are using a "high quality european paint" matched to guards red, but I'm worried about resale value.

Any one have any tips or suggestions?

I'm totally F*%$^* here, my deductible is 2500 dollars and I'm sure they'll be charging me more....

There's a certified Porsche Collision centre in Halifax.
Give them a call.

http://porschecollisioncenter.ca/locate/

The Us has the same system.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

it sucks but it does happen... practically in all big cities worldwide.... i wouldnt expect it to happen in NS however.

montreal/toronto/vancouver can and will likely happen.

ppl just get jealous of anothers nice possessions, alot of them kids; stupid random acts of vandalism. to the OP, extensive repainting will effect resale, but document everything (on this forum is a good idea too); so that it wont be mistaken for a collision for future buyers.

really pisses me off to read this! hate the lowlives.

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am so sorry man, it really really sucks. Was about to comment that how in the world it happened in NS, as I wouldn't have expected that, Montreal more likely.

Such low lives, I really do not understand how or why people would do such a thing. Are you sure it wasn't directed at you and not random? I find it a bit too extreme to be a random vandalism act.

In terms of repair, forget about what your insurance company says! Find THE BEST SHOP that has specialty on these cars, here in BC there are some premium auto-body shops that specialize and do Porsche's all the time and do a great job. Find a shop similar to that.

Your car depreciation would be harsh, but look at it this way, now you know you will own this car for a long time, so just get it fixed, then drive the heck out of it until it wheels fall off! In a way, maybe a silver lining that you may not worry about depreciation in the future and can just enjoy the car whichever way you like!

PS. Try to get those bastards, see if they can find a video of the street
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter got into an accident in her 2012 Audi S4 last year. About $11,000 in front end damage. The dealer turned me onto a certified Audi body shop (one of seven in the US and fortunately about 7 miles from my home). They are also a certified Porsche body shop. They did a spectacular job fixing her Audi, including using only new Audi OEM parts, and the paint matches perfectly right down to the orange peel.

State Farm paid without a problem, even though they tried to have me use any of three other shops that are more "commercial", as a nice way of saying that their work is passable at best.

Try to find a certified Porsche or Audi body shop.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My god $2500.00 dollar deductible, glad you are ok but that is still being hurt in my opinion. Good luck you do seem to be keeping a good cool demeanor. This is just awful, I hope things work out.

Quick Reply: Vandalised 997