Sponsored by:

Vandalised 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
lowcoaster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vandalised 997

So I made the mistake of thinking I could park on the side of the road without having my car destroyed.

Some nice guy decided to go to town on my 911, and now I'm in a very rough spot.

The bastards keyed it all the way down to the metal as well as thrashing all 4 of my rims. They also kicked in the rear panel.

My insurance recommended a shop that they deal with, so I'm getting a quote from them.

The whole car needs to get repainted, and 4 new rims need to be ordered at $1900 a piece.

They are going to take off all the panels and sand them down for repainting. Should I get them chemically dipped instead?

They aren't even using oem paint, they are using a "high quality european paint" matched to guards red, but I'm worried about resale value.

Any one have any tips or suggestions?

I'm totally F*%$^* here, my deductible is 2500 dollars and I'm sure they'll be charging me more....

Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF?!

That's horrible dude. Hang in there. Karma is a bitch...and she will find the guy who did this. Stay strong.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why no oem paint?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

+1 sorry to hear this BS. let us know what happens with the fix.

Originally Posted by rvp325carrera
WTF?!

That's horrible dude. Hang in there. Karma is a bitch...and she will find the guy who did this. Stay strong.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Unless you have a very unique policy, you choose the shop and the shop negotiates with the insurance company. With that said, search for a shop that deals with high end cars and, in particular, Porsches.

With computer aids helping the paint mixing and blending, a good shop will do a great job.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I would insist on oem paint. I'm sure you know it water based.
Plus I would want to know regardless of a complete body spray or not that they have the ability to
properly color match it.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gawd, this sucks.

A-holes. The world is full of 'em.

Good luck with the fix.

Do they have Porsche Approved Collision Centers in Canada?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Do they have Porsche Approved Collision Centers in Canada?
Most if not all the Porsche dealers have their own paint & body shops.
I used Phaff Autoworks when I had my ducktail installed this spring.
I was a bit worried as the paint was 8 years old but they matched my 2005 Speed Yellow perfectly.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Maybe some of the bigger ones but if 'most' have them, that's news to me.

To the OP: that suck bigs time. Agree with the earlier comments that you should be able to pick the shop. GL.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So sorry to hear about this brother. You wouldn't think this sort of thing would happen in Nova Scotia, but I guess there are jealous a$$holes everywhere.

Just think, you could've been in a bad accident or something else. You're OK, and your Porsche will be too. Just make sure you really do your research on the body shop. The great ones do a fantastic job.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcoaster
So I made the mistake of thinking I could park on the side of the road without having my car destroyed.

Some nice guy decided to go to town on my 911, and now I'm in a very rough spot.

The bastards keyed it all the way down to the metal as well as thrashing all 4 of my rims. They also kicked in the rear panel.

My insurance recommended a shop that they deal with, so I'm getting a quote from them.

The whole car needs to get repainted, and 4 new rims need to be ordered at $1900 a piece.

They are going to take off all the panels and sand them down for repainting. Should I get them chemically dipped instead?

They aren't even using oem paint, they are using a "high quality european paint" matched to guards red, but I'm worried about resale value.

Any one have any tips or suggestions?

I'm totally F*%$^* here, my deductible is 2500 dollars and I'm sure they'll be charging me more....

Bummer.

Sanding is ok. Not sure what chemically dipping the panels buys. Might be ok for a barn find with corrosion or with many coats of paint.

Body/paint shop should use one of the Porsche paint systems. From memory: Spandox, Spies-Hecker, or Glasurit. If it doesn't run do not walk away.

Guards red is not a hard paint to match if the shop knows its stuff.

If you want to be picky insist the paint thickness be made to match the factory paint thickness. The paint thickness varies from say the top of the fender to the bottom as the placement of the panel in the paint booth means some portion of the panel gets more paint spray. A good Porsche shop should know the paint thickness characteristics and sand to match so a paint thickness meter can't tell the difference.

'course, the absence of factory orange peel finish will let a pro know the car's been painted...

Be sure you observe the shop pull and tie back the rubber so the paint goes on smoothly with no ridge from paint tape. These ridges are a sign of a subpar paint job.

Also, feel the finish of the painted surfaces not directly visible. This includes the panel edges and the surfaces under the edges of the panel. These can be left rough from overspray. Check out a new car and get a feel for what the surfaces should feel like.

Be sure all stickers that are present on the car before any repairs are carefully removed, saved, and restored afterwards. Take pics. Lot of pics.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Keep us posted along the way . Nice avatar btw
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awful news, I can't believe people would go out of their way to do that to a car. What part of NS did this happen? I'm from the valley area originally... can't imagine an east coaster would do that without being seriously messed up in the head.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Pick the shop you are comfortable with and tell them your concerns about non-OEM paint and see what they say.

Shocking someone would damage a car so extensively to require a full repaint as well as 4 new wheels. Bastards will always get their due.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I used Phaff Autoworks when I had my ducktail installed this spring.
I was a bit worried as the paint was 8 years old but they matched my 2005 Speed Yellow perfectly.
Don't know about "most if not all" but some do and it means......not much sometimes. My dealer has "it's own" remote paint & body shop but the only reason they call it their own is that the owner of the Porsche dealership also owns the body shop which is actually affiliated with a Cadillac dealership he also owns. I had the misfortune of learning first hand just how much this body shop's work sucks. Do your own diligence no matter what the dealer recommends.

Quick Reply: Vandalised 997