Sponsored by:

STOLEN- '58 Corvette - Austin, TX area

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts
Default STOLEN- '58 Corvette - Austin, TX area

I have this also posted in the off topic section but since many people dont visit that thread I will post it here. Many of you are from the Texas area so please keep an eye out for this rare car.

I'm posting this here for a friend: The owner wants his car back!

"hey guys, worth a shot to get more eyes watching for a somewhat unique vintage car, especially any of you around Texas.

This was a fairly complete matching #s project car that my dad found and I bought years ago, never had time and money at the same time. I had moved it to our remote family ranch about a year ago, stashed deep back in a barn, covered completely with tarps surrounded by plywood with more stuff put in on top and in front ... in other words, it was well hidden.

It was taken from South of Bertram and West of Liberty Hill Texas sometime between Sept. 27 and Oct. 4, someone cut the lock (not the chain???) on the entry gate, pulled down to the barn (~400 yards barely visible from highway), pulled barn gate open, moved everything from out of front and tarps drug to the back. they either had to drag or winch the car out on flat front tires (drag marks indicate) and load (trailer or tow truck). A report has been given to the Burnet County Sheriff's Department and Central Texas Auto Task Force along with pictures and VIN.

If any of you see or have seen (trailered) this car, please contact me here or the Burnet County Sherriff's dept. It is fairly unique being yellow with a silver insert, missing the grill and one headlight. Thanks for any help you might can provide on location or direction it might be heading."
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I will keep an eye out for it here at the Houston Cars and Coffees.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
I will keep an eye out for it here at the Houston Cars and Coffees.
Doesn't look like it will be driven to a Cars and Coffee without a lot of work...still good to keep a look out for the car and VIN.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would venture to say, who ever took your car, knows you and knew where you kept it.

Think about it.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 181 Posts

^^^ as mentioned above try to think of anyone who has done work in and around your ranch in the last year or guys you've spoken to at random cars and coffee meets etc.

To go to that effort someone knew the car was in there. What about a son or daughters boyfriend or girlfriend? Kids love to spout out or brag about mom and dad's cool stuff...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I will pray for you that it will be a new episode of Overhauling, that would be sweet.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep an eye out, and totally agree with the above "who knew or could have known" comments.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell your friend someone they know and knew the car was there knows what happened. Could be someone who was owed money or has a grudge.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, for them to to go through all that trouble shows that it was someone with more than just a passing knowledge of what was there.
They had to know exactly where the car was stored, where in the barn it was, that they would need the capacity to tow/winch it out, etc. This was not a crime of opportunity, this was planned in advance by someone who intimately knew what they were getting and from exactly where, and my money would bet heavily on someone who'd been to the location within the previous 1-2 months. (This is not random speculation, this is coming from about a decade of law enforcement experience.)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the above post says someone knew it was there and also they knew around what time people are home or out so then can get a trailer in and make it seem non suspicious they been watching there every move to plan when exactly they can go get it and hey who knows if chip foose is working on it right now and they making it seem like it was stolen (( hopefully is the second one and not the first ))
Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 AM
gsdpic
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

That's sad. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it in my travels around north Austin. And this seems like a perfect excuse to take the p-car on a hill country drive this weekend!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

RAT BASTARDS
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the car that was on "gas monkey garage". I am sure it isnt but it is close. I had a 69 mustang stolen in the same fashion. I found it a year later in a garage, (someone who knew the car actually spotted it). So it may not be as much as a long shot as you think. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

offer a large reward
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

First thing I would done if I stole it is paint it black. Hope you find it.

Quick Reply: STOLEN- '58 Corvette - Austin, TX area