4S "Growl" when backing out

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:56 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4S "Growl" when backing out

Guys,
Checking to see if any of of you have the same "problem". I noticed recently when backing out of the driveway and turning, I'm hearing a sort of "growl" from the front (maybe axle?). It only does it once in the morning and that is it. I spoke to the dealership and they claim this is normal, although this is the first time I've heard it in the 2 years I've owned the car. It seems to do it when it is very cold outside, 30-40F (hey, this is L.A., that's COLD)

The car is a 2010 C4S with PDK

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stuck brake pad, or if your turned to a lock, tire scrub.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Probably tires getting old and stiff in cold weather rubbing and producing noise
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

I don't think that is the problem, tires still excellent. Sounds like gear/diff clutch/axle sound in front right.

Keep those suggestions coming. I just don't want the dealership to blow it off as "normal".
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
djskimo
Instructor

I have have some info

I have the exact same issue, 2012 4 GTS. Happens only in cold when backing out and wheel turned all the way. Happens only the first couple inches of backing out then stops .

I was talking to a local shop about wheel hop and this came up. The tech - with 7 years experience with Porsches said he has heard of this before. Didn't say it was an issue, but I can try to reach out to him to get a technical explanation.

I personally was not worried about it but will look more into it.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try to isolate the problem by backing out straight without turning the steering wheel OR shift into reverse and turn the steering wheel without moving. If you get the growl in one case and not the other, it provides a clue as to the problem.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Yes, that's exactly the same issue. It's just odd that this is the first time hearing it since having the car for 2 years.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Its the tires. Happens all the time in cold weather.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

This same thing (more of a groan than a growl) happened to me today for the 1st time in my 2010 c4s mt.

Car had been sitting outside (covered), on flat ground and put away clean after a run from central cal to norcal. It hasn't been driven in 8+ days.

Mornings are in the mid 30s (and very dry). Hand brake had been engaged and gearbox had been in 1st before engaging reverse.

Backing straight out of my driveway this AM, during the first half wheel rotation (maybe a bit less/more), the sound came from the passenger side front wheel/area. The tire was not frozen to the asphalt.

Car performed perfectly afterward...properly growling its way through the coast range...jeez, the more that I drive the 997 the less I want to drive anything else.

I'll try to re-create the conditions that caused it...perhaps the cause has already been identified but I feel like the OP, something else is going on...
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

David......driving anything else is like sitting through a bad presentation.........worse than boring. Almost like not driving.

Tom
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts
Default You sure yo don't have a Tiger in your tank???

Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the wet off the road from a recent snow here in KC. My son and I took the 911 dinner. Backing out it drug the front wheel a little.

Roads were still cold, air temp around 48, but everything had a little slip to it. NEVER a bad decision to take the car out. The tail wag aspect alone was worth it. 2/3 throttle up the on-ramp, spun the wheels through 2nd and 3rd...and the Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

It warning the other cars in the hood that they better flee or face the consequences!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Here in the wet Northwest, I quickly learned not to use my e-brake when parking after driving in the rain. The pad slightly rusts to the rotor and has to break loose. To me, this does not sound like the "growl" you are describing.

I also have to turn sharply after backing out of the garage and I usually hear the tire scrubbing on the wide fronts as I pull forward. It's almost a hopping. To me, this also does not sound like the "growl" you are describing.

Going forward down the steep driveway, about halfway down (some 50' after backing out) I get a brief, growling ABS-type noise and sensation as I brake down the hill. This only happens once a day, and my wife's Acura TL does the same thing in the same place. Maybe something like this is what you are talking about?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

You need to be clear on the noise and when it occurs. As you know by now these cars can experience front tire scrubbing (inner tire anyhow) in a sharp low speed turn on cold tires, tires that have had many heat cycles and are now harder.

But with no turning of the wheel when backing up or going forward from a start any noise is probably not the tires scrubbing.

I can't hear the noise of course, but it could be from a slightly dragging pad. You can try giving the brakes a good washing. I use the local DIY car wash and use the wash setting on the wand control to douse the brakes/wheels with soapy water -- do not jam the wand nozzle tip too close to the brake hardware, especially the pads and the pistons and their dust covers -- then use the rinse setting to flush away the soapy water then use the no-spot rinse setting to final rinse the hardware. At this setting water pressure is lower so you can within reason get the wand nozzle tip closer to the brake hardware.

The idea is to remove the brake dust that collects on the brake hardware, and on the dust covers and which can interfere slightly with the natural tendency of the brake piston (actually the piston seals) to retract slightly and pull the pad away from the disc.

After you do the above be sure to drive the car enough and use the brakes hard enough to ensure all the brake hardware is dry, dry, dry.

If this doesn't help you need to note then how to reproduce the noise and convey this to the dealer and leave the car with the dealer. If at all possible you should then be at the dealer and the car when the tech attempts to reproduce the noise to ensure he uses the same steps you laid out or better yet you demo the noise.

Generally a bad diff will make noise when the car is driven in either direction, but an early diff failure might favor noise in one direction over the other direction.

I'm not saying a diff is the problem, the cause of the noise, just that the noise should be reproduced for the dealer/technician to get their expert opinion as to what is going on.

Quick Reply: 4S "Growl" when backing out