Sponsored by:

Alt Reasons for Owning a Porsche....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
It REALLY opened my eyes to what people think and what their true intentions are. I mean seriously, it's a $60k car not an Aventador! Probably cost less than the loaded Suburbans their wives drive around...which btw, the wives seem to be more interested in taking a ride than their chip-on-the-shoulder husbands.
Truer words!

It is a case study in how Porsche built and maintained it's Brand. It's also probably why the 991's are so expensive relative to the 997's. People equate price with quality. It's also worrisome that VAG now wants to produce so many 911's - how do you maintain exclusivity, justify a hefty price while, at the same time, increasing availability. From a business perspective, watching this unfold will be interesting.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
I can't believe the kind of standoff'ish weirdness this car has set forth. It REALLY opened my eyes to what people think and what their true intentions are.
I can't stand it, I have to hijack my own thread. Wheeler, you hit a truth. This reaction is commonly exploited by savvy politicians who have now redefined "rich" from being "not have to work and live of of interest" to those "making 250K a year". I know the income stats, and that is not a ton of Americans, but that is also a husband and wife each making $125K... ask them how rich they think they are.

Sorry.... had to get that out of my system.

Darn, I think I just wrecked this thread.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on that Wheeler.. I did have to finance mine though.
I am a co-founder at my company of 26 yrs - no big deal anymore as we're diluted by investors etc etc.

Most of my coworkers are thrilled I finally realized what I call the 40 yr dream.

I took it to work, offered to let the two or three true enthusiasts drive it and they understood immediately :-)

What irked me was one of the "directors" (we hv several in this 35 person outfit ) when told , remarked "what are WE paying him"? Supposedly, everyone did a double take at her.. :-) She's in no way responsible for my income and started with us 3-4 yrs ago...
What I learned was, she's real materialistic.. She has to tell you she lives in the best new rich part of town, what she pays for this or that, that her husband is just "all that" etc.

She followed that comment up the next week to a good friend of mine remarking "regarding his car.. Hmm We probably paid more for our {luxurySUV}.. "

Rather pitiful I think. But she irks me.. So your neighbors can go stuff it. I think if you're not pretentious, people should begrudge you nothing you choose to own.

For a little while longer anyway, it's a free country

PS the little witch never outspent me on detailing. Lol
Old 01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Some of my customers tease me and some I don't tell. As they say...."It takes all kinds"

God forbid I pull up in a Gallardo! Now that one would be tough to explain!

Tom
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Turquoise Blue probably adds to the issue too!

Tom
Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, human nature causes most be be envious and jealous of what they perceive is success for others. It is only a very special person who is genuinely happy for another who has good things happen to them. This applies to someone when they buy an expensive car like a Porsche. Very few people will be happy for you. Therefore life has taught me to purchase things that will enhance my enjoyment of life, not an attempt to impress others.Buy a Porsche for yourself. Because you love the exhilaration you derive from driving it.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I bought my first Porsche to save money on gas. It was during the time of the Arab oil embargo (many of you have no idea what that was in 1973) and I started to get serious about finding something with longer range than anything out of Detroit.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
ddrxdd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schpee007
ddrxdd, love you putting this out there. Cannot think of a more special way to become a Porsche owner, and to honor your brother.
Thanks! Porsche has always been a special car to me...this one even more so.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Swordsmm,

Take solace in knowing that there are people who know the price of everything, and the value of nothing. They tend to be the shallowest of the swimmers in this great gene pool of life,

Life's a journey, enjoy the drive! It doesn't matter at what age or income you come to that realization.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

argh, cannot stand those 'loser' types... those types are never happy for the success of others imo and always have to **** on others so they feel like they are at the top of the food chain.

Originally Posted by swordsmn
She's in no way responsible for my income and started with us 3-4 yrs ago...

What I learned was, she's real materialistic.. She has to tell you she lives in the best new rich part of town, what she pays for this or that, that her husband is just "all that" etc.

She followed that comment up the next week to a good friend of mine remarking "regarding his car.. Hmm We probably paid more for our {luxurySUV}.. "

Rather pitiful I think.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

I sure didn't mean to hijack the thread. I indeed bought this well maintained 05 as an enthusiast, zero intent for status - hell I wear tee shirts to work most days.
I appreciate the support. That woman made herself look bad to those who heard her.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the comments and also sorry to have derailed the thread a little but it's been on my mind lately. Just felt like this was the place to commiserate... as anyone here definitely GETS IT. :-)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

How bout "frunk is so small, it helps me spend less grocery shopping". It was a Healthy Choice!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^ Love the frunk!

I ran into the liquor store a while back, my 15 son stayed in the car (so not only am I an elitist ******* P car driver, I also leave my 6'3" "child in the car and I'm a drunk! ).

Before I left the car I had popped the frunk latch so when I came out I just reached down and one-handed the latch and put my pretentious case of Miller Lite inside and closed it. Out of the corner of my eye I see this 7 yo kid staring at the car as I got in, his dad then got out and they walked into the Subway. My son said "OMG...you should have seen the look on that kids face when you put that beer in the 'engine' and closed the lid!!".
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
swordsmn
Instructor

So does the 15 yo ever get to exercise his learner's permit with dad in the p-car?
Or did you already buy him a budget BMW Z4 :-)
(I'm thankful my daughters are 25 & 30!)

Quick Reply: Alt Reasons for Owning a Porsche....