Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning you engine...way to ... how to ...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually cleaning the exterior of the engine can make a performance difference, too much gunk can hinder cooling.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by NineEreven
Your car will run much better if you clean the exterior block with dawn soap and a medium toothbrush.
I'm assuming that this is subtle humor. Anyway, after you clean it with the toothbrush, be sure to always floss.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
If you use Simple green you need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse! Simple Green will corrode aluminum, deteriorate rubber and plastic and stain paint if not rinsed well.
X 3!!!!

Get out of the habit of using that crap...it's awful. I had a buddy that swore by the stuff and used it on his dirt bike after every ride (we all ride 2 stroke KTM's). We go to Colorado a few times a year to ride single track. One year he had a carb boot come apart/split on him on a fairly new bike, like less than a year. I've ridden KTM's and cleaned them for years with a powerwasher only and a brush when needed. Upon inspection of the part it had turned rock hard! And so were a bunch of other rubber parts and electrical wiring sheaths! Some of the parts looked and felt 15 years old! Needless to say this was a bad deal considering we were 40 miles from the truck. Luckily some duct tape held enough keep if from leaning out and we go it back to the truck.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a grease build up on the engine, you may want to find out what is leaking and make the repair. Your best net is to not hose these engines down, and a simple connection could get wet and cause you more problems that you will struggle to find the issue.
Wipe it down, and drive it like a Porsche and not a show car!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

I use this. Follow a Porsche engine cleaning guide if you need, but cover the alternator, rinse, spray, agitate, rinse (thoroughly).

http://www.autoglym.com.au/products/...hine-cleaner-1
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a lot of stuff from these folks, particularly his pads and polishes.
I think this cleaner may be simple green based, as it does come with a warning not to use on polished aluminum finishes.
Anyway, Ashley is pretty easy on the eyes....
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
I don't worry about it. Actually, I just baby-wipe it down so it looks okay if someone does ask to see inside.
+1... baby wipe. 303 also makes a wipe that works well to clean and protect plastic and rubber parts.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I'm assuming that this is subtle humor. Anyway, after you clean it with the toothbrush, be sure to always floss.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Enro
HI to everyone ... Bringing this to the forum... Please post your comments or DIY and photos I understand that a clean engine performed better than a dirty one , looking for you to share your experience and wisdom
Check out the Drive Clean series. In particular, this video:
Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Enro
Intermediate

My point of view is .... The engine is left with all the dust...oil....build up of so many years a engine exterior cleanup would do no harm... For it would be better to see if it's doing ok or a line is leaking ... Maybe some oil coming from a loose nut ... I think a clean engine aside all the goodies ,nuts and bolt we could throw at it for performance and tunning.... A clean engine serves to the user as an example on how hard you run an engine but capable of maintaining it as it rolled out from Stugart......

My question is .... If you have done it... What is the perfect way to do it and with what and how....

Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer the OPs question if he is serious...you have to drop the motor from the 911 to clean it thoroughly. Picture should explain why you will not clean anything with engine being in the car. Remove the motor, inspect all fittings, buy yourself 10 cans of Gunk engine cleaner, scrub scrub rub rub the block and all connections.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

you are way overthinking the process. garden hose with any nozzle that makes fine 'mist' is fine. disconnect battery if you are concerned. wipe with a cloth. done. if all parts are way too dirty with oil residues - use any other available cleaner, then use water to wipe off trace of any active chemicals from rubber hoses.

try not to pour too much water into the alternator.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
masitr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Check out the Drive Clean series. In particular, this video: Engine Cleaning: Ferrari, Corvette, and GT40 -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
You beat me to it. Great detailing series
Old 01-07-2014, 04:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use extreme simple green aircraft on the engine and suspension components.
In the past I have covered electrical parts and ran the engine during the cleaning.
Use an air gun to dry off the compartment.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A clean engine, free of of dust, oil and other deposits dissipates heat better, in case of leaks they are easily noticed and looks better. Most Porsche owners are meticulous about their cars so why ignore the most important part.

Quick Reply: Cleaning you engine...way to ... how to ...?