Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing microphone someplace near muffler..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Harry's laptimmer does not support external microphones yet on iPhone 5 Harry is working this fix. Has someone crack the code?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Bumping this up, track season is about to start.

looking for temp wiring ideas and where to put the mic head...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago (20?) I used a Sony VHS cassette recorder with an external mic. I ran the mic wire thru the interior and out the back side window, then duc taped the cheap Radio Shack mic to the license plate. I had just installed a new German made two outlet sport muffler on my '73 RS Touring. The recording was just perfect! No road noise and no wind noise. I posted the sound clip on Pelican. Everyone dug it. They say the car sounded like a 246 Dino.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I hooked up a mic via wire to a GoPro....ran the wire out the driver side window and taped it to the glass on the rear side and rear window (no extra slack to flap in the wind), mounted a small boom mic with a good suction cup just above the bumper.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I hooked up a mic via wire to a GoPro....ran the wire out the driver side window and taped it to the glass on the rear side and rear window (no extra slack to flap in the wind), mounted a small boom mic with a good suction cup just above the bumper.
So how was the sound and recording of the exhaust note using this method? Was there much wind noise?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the wire, feed it through the hole. Strip at least 1" of the wires, twist wires together and apply a light coat of solder. Tape or shrink wrap.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:21 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
So how was the sound and recording of the exhaust note using this method? Was there much wind noise?
The sound was alright, doesn't accurately represent the exhaust note. I think its a function of mic placement, quality of mic and wind. There was wind noise from cross wind (not 100% sure, but doubt from the forward motion of the car).

If I had it to do again, I'd play around with the placement and get a mic that had wind baffles (if that's what the furry cover is called). Unfortunately the place I rented from only had the one I got which was able to be mounted onto a cold shoe adapter.

This was the mic used - http://vistek.ca/rentals/details/225...icrophone.aspx

Quick Reply: installing microphone someplace near muffler..