Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading this reminds me of why I recently bought a 911 (6 months)... I am not married, have no kids and my girlfriend isn't pushing for either. This thread just makes me even more happy with my decision
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
Reading this reminds me of why I recently bought a 911 (6 months)... I am not married, have no kids and my girlfriend isn't pushing for either. This thread just makes me even more happy with my decision
I have a wife who sees cars as nothing more than a means of transportation between two points that should be as economical and safe as possible in one package. That kind of car doesn't work for me so I buy what I want in exchange for looking past some things she buys that make no sense to me. So we're both happy. No discussions about cars. Marriage is about compromise, not about extortion.

If I had a wife who demanded I give up a passion of mine because she couldn't or wouldn't even try to share it with me or even allow it I think there would be some serious discussions about parting ways.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 AM
tommy618
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I recently purchased my Porsche a few months ago. I have 2 kids and have no plans to sell the 911. I take my Infiniti JX more now during the winter or when we go shopping. The rest of the time if the roads are clear, I take the 911. My 3 yr old loves it.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

being married isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be.

I'm married with one kid. My wife let me buy my porsche last month, let me keep the mazdaspeed3 I had before that, let's me do track days on the ninjazx6r, lets me buy all the mods I want for all three and finally, I am allowed to buy a second motorcycle of my choice. She even said "I can park the family SUV outside if you need more room in the garage"
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I have a wife who sees cars as nothing more than a means of transportation between two points that should be as economical and safe as possible in one package. That kind of car doesn't work for me so I buy what I want in exchange for looking past some things she buys that make no sense to me. So we're both happy. No discussions about cars. Marriage is about compromise, not about extortion.

If I had a wife who demanded I give up a passion of mine because she couldn't or wouldn't even try to share it with me or even allow it I think there would be some serious discussions about parting ways.
Exactly!!

Tom
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
being married isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be.

I'm married with one kid. My wife let me buy my porsche last month, let me keep the mazdaspeed3 I had before that, let's me do track days on the ninjazx6r, lets me buy all the mods I want for all three and finally, I am allowed to buy a second motorcycle of my choice. She even said "I can park the family SUV outside if you need more room in the garage"
The term "my wife lets me" seems a little bizarre.

I stayed single until I was 42 and married a woman who does things to make me happy and I her. Together we built a life which includes things I'm passionate about and things she's passionate about….and things we're both passionate about together.

When I was small my mother used to let me do certain things like get a paper route, play LL baseball or take the bus into NY to watch a hockey game……my wife never let me do anything….not one thing.

Tom
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a wife and a kid, she has her SUV she loves, we have a truck and a 911. She never complains about the car -- it's my toy, it isn't a family transportation unit.

It isn't about marriage/children destroying 911 dreams, it's about being with a woman that gets it.

My wife understands I love this car and realizes it makes me happy, so she doesn't **** with it. Sure she uses it as a bargaining chip when she wants Botox or a trainer but that's fine.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
If it floats, flies or *****, you're better of renting
Genius!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:25 AM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been dating the same girl for 5 years. We are both ready to get married. In November I traded/upgraded my Boxster to a 911. She assumed it pushed off our engagement but didn't kill me. I got engaged 2 weeks later. She passed!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Blah, I got my 911 when I had two small boys, I have 3 kids now. My wife knows I love cars and she knows I will tell her, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out," if she doesn't let me buy what I want with my own money. But my wife would never do anything like that b/c like my 911, I picked my wife wisely.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO I think you have the right car and the wrong wife.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have two kids of similar ages. I have a 5 point harness seat well strapped in to one of the back seats, and a booster in the other seat. As many other people have mentioned, my kids love going in the 'p-car'. I do have another suitable car, GTI, for the very snowy days like we've had recently.

As others have recommended, get another daily driver, but get the 911 set up with car seats too. I've posted pics and instructions of my car seat install in the past.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 775 Posts

Kids are gone. Wife has her own Porsche (2012 Cayman S). Life is good.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Both my kids (10 & 12) love it when I take them to their activities in our 911. My wife is happy for me, she knows I've wanted a porsche since I was a kid. I'll never forget my son turning to me as we're getting out of the car saying, "cool car, cool dad". I would have paid twice what I paid for it had I known he was going to say that.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife is tickled to death I bought a 911, and also knows I am looking at a 1976 turbo 911 that is a project car! If you make day trips to cool new places with the wife, she will enjoy it more, and not ask you to sell. Lastly, I guess if you have to ask for your nads off the top shelf, you don't need a Porsche! Just saying!

Quick Reply: Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me