Sponsored by:

Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 AM
chatt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me

So I bought an 07 CPO 911 s, and after a week of ownership, my wife has decided that she is uncomfortable allowing our kids to ride in the car. It's complicated, and there seems to be no reasoning with her. It is what it is. I should have taken her to test drive it with me, but just didn't due to scheduling issues. I love the car, and hate to part with it, but it looks like I'll need to try to flip it.

So, that being said. What do you guys think I should ask for it? I'm thinking about putting it on ebay. Like I said, its a 2007 911 s coupe, six speed, clean carfax, CPO until January 2016, 37k miles, immaculate condition. New tires, 40k mile service already done, clean carfax, etc. etc. It's black with sand beige interior, nav, sport chrono, dual power seats, base leather, six disc cd, crest in the headrests, 19' carrera s wheels and I'm sure some other things I'm missing.

I hate to trade it in anywhere, because the cpo coverage will not transfer to a new dealer. Give me your thoughts.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Would the dealer where you bought it trade it for a car that would fit your needs better? A panamera maybe? I sure they would give you the best deal out of all the other dealers. To make to most money back you'll have to sell privately. Probably looking at a significant loss however unless you got it for a really good deal
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know. You love the car, and you hate to part with it. So don't.

I know it's complicated, and Buddhamonk had a good idea, maybe a Panamera would be a good alternative - but hey. Kids LOVE Porsches. So that's a 3:1 vote.

Maybe you just keep it for some more weeks, and don't drive like Patrick Long with an agenda when your wife's around.

You worked hard to get here. You got a car you love, and if you sell it you'll be bummed. Maybe sell her on the "Look at these statistics. At the rate Porsche's are appreciating, if we keep this car, it will pay for both of our kids' college by the time they're old enough to go." technique.

Don't flip it. You gotta make it stick!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Quite obviously, a replacement is in need.

This should get you started:
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Khaim3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need support from us, we can post picture of our kids in the 911.
I also have a 2007 c2s and it is my weekend family car. My 8 and 4 year old girl love riding in the 911.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 AM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one for you. My 5 year old at a PCA car show event. Look at that smile! You can't see it, but she is in a DOT booster seat.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chatt
...What do you guys think I should ask for...
A divorce...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM
chatt
Instructor

Hahaha well I talked to her this morning before walking out the door to head to a trial. Her solution was for me to go buy some beater SUV to tote the kids around in when I have to drive them. I may be able to keep it after all.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Keep the 911.
Get her a Corolla
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I drive my 14 and 15 year old daughters in it all the time. Granted they are small. They love it
I did need a winter vehicle so I bought a 91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(Old woodie, last year) that I and my youngest daughter have restored. I bought it for $1600 off craigslist and have spent roughly $5k on it. I could probably sell it for 8-10K but I love it. You can find cool trucks pretty cheap and if you enjoy working on them even better.

No way should you get rid of your car. You will resent your wife for making you sell it if acquiring a 911 means to you as much as it meant to me. Good luck on your search for a truck
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure the whole Paul Walker thing didn't help. Because you know...we also drive "carrera's". Even though you bought your car AFTER that happened it appears...you wife's friends, her mom, sister, nosy neighbor..."OH...that's the same kind of of car Paul Walker died in". How old are your kids? (I have a 15 yo boy and a 10 yo girl) Because I've had talks a few times with mine regarding "don't tell mom". I'm certainly not out putting my kids life in danger in any way shape or form. But my son would come back excited from a ride in our performance boat, telling her about the waves we crushed, etc....and she starts the same **** with me. You should have heard her when my Valentine 1 showed up! :-) To my surprise, my wife seems to actually like riding in the car and will ask to take it if we're going to run some errands by ourselves. You have to stick it out for at least a month with the car, let things settle. That first week is a complete 16 year old, taking the parents car out when they're not home, driving like a hoon, topped with feeling some guilt perhaps that you spent that much on YOURSELF, neighbors think you're big leaguing them, "oh, mid life crisis"...yet when you drive the car it all makes sense and is quite satisfying. I went through all that. Now that I've had the car a few months it's just another member of the garage family. The party is certainly not over, just part of the party when everyone is doing shots of Jager and throwing hi fives around.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

what is her beef exactly?

safety issue?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 AM
chatt
Instructor

Yeah the car seat we have doesn't fit all that well, and we live in an area that gets a certain amount of snow and ice every year. She's got good points, but I can address them by buying an old Tahoe or z71 extended cab.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you remove the rear bottom cushion? I t may help with fitment and you won't press dents into the seats. They are just velcroed in
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 405 Likes on 169 Posts

Man I wish I had my photos with me of my 3.5 year old daughter smiling and loving the ride!

Kids love Porsche's especially 911's! So some searches here on kids in 911's.

Quick Reply: Well, I'm not sure a 911 is going to work out for me