Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C2S how to add more horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Jutskin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the advise TargaC4S....why is that?....cooldown?
What a drag too because I work in the city and come home (smallish town) down my favourite legendary straightaway LOL.
No traffic back and forth for me to work Bigsmoke....lucky.

Last edited by Jutskin; 02-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

You are lucky. I only drive short distances so that killed my desire to do the turbo. Yes it is for cool down and is recommended by tpc. Enjoy the roads and just let it idle for a couple mins after. Have fun!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jutskin
New here.......had my 2011 GTS Carerra for about a year and found it lacking power. Daily driver year round.
My last car was a 900hp rw C6...that explains power shortage perception.....
Ordered a TPC Turbo yesterday and will start a thread next month when I get it back and elaborate on the the results.
$7000 for headers and minor adjustments to make 30HP (yikes) or 13000 to get a turbo to make 150hp and more importantly 150 fpt......no brainer. Stock turbo porshes cost difference is much higher. Will take off the turbo off too when I sell my Porsche and resell.
Googled extentsively and TPC has done a remarkable job with refinement and available tunes with the kit.. Do not hammer the car all the time and they won't break...I pray....and to heck with the warranty.....I'm on the back 9 anyway.
Looking forward to spanking some vette buddies...but not all.
Very cool... Let us know what you think of the TPC kit after the install. Power should be stunning but I'm curious as to handling characteristics and ease of maintenance. FWIW, I supercharged my prior M3 which was a blast initially but over time I grew a little weary of the non-linear power band and the need to remove the SC whenever I had to replace/service a water pump, alternator, etc. Servicing the air filter element also required removal of the front bumper - novel at first but PITA over time. I DIY so maintenance cost was minimized vs. dealer/indy service but the maintenance time and extra steps required was excessive in comparison to the NA car. I'm very curious as to how a Carrera would be to maintain with the TPC kit as I've also considered this same path.

BTW, is your GTS a MT or PDK car? I think PDK would be be the way to go but I wonder if it may require tranny tuning software. MT would be frustrating as the shift points from 1st to 2nd would almost require instantaneous foot/clutch work... it requires a quick shift as it is with NA. Keep us posted on the progress of the mod. Very interested in the final outcome.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

New here.......had my 2011 GTS Carerra for about a year and found it lacking power. Daily driver year round.
Ordered a TPC Turbo yesterday and will start a thread next month when I get it back and elaborate on the the results.
$7000 for headers and minor adjustments to make 30HP (yikes) or 13000 to get a turbo to make 150hp and more importantly 150 fpt......no brainer. Stock turbo porshes cost difference is much higher. Will take off the turbo off too when I sell my Porsche and resell.
Googled extentsively and TPC has done a remarkable job with refinement and available tunes with the kit.. Do not hammer the car all the time and they won't break...I pray....and to heck with the warranty.....I'm on the back 9 anyway.
I couldn't agree more, I've seen guys on here and the other forum spending $10K on bolt-ons to yield 30HP, pretty ridiculous, Porsche engineers did a great job extracting every hp they can. People say it's much cheaper to sell and get a TT instead, it's not cheaper to go this route.

There are a lot of people who DD their TPC turbo 911's, I am one of them. MarathonBob from the other forum is another one. Doc took his to the track as much as he can w/o any problems. He finally sold his and got a TT b/c he wanted more than 520bhp. The metzger engine can handle a lot more hp. The only problem I have is that my 997 was the first few 997 builds with the open crankcase ventilation system. The blow by smoke vents into the air, right under my rear vents so I get a lot of comments about my engine is smoking and is on fire. lol Gets annoying after awhile and I've been meaning to route that blow by back into the intake, it's so tight in there, hard to work with. Plus this setup is illegal. Make sure to asked for a closed crankcase ventilation system which I believe all the new ones are. Enjoy it, you'll love it.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I couldn't agree more, I've seen guys on here and the other forum spending $10K on bolt-ons to yield 30HP, pretty ridiculous, Porsche engineers did a great job extracting every hp they can. People say it's much cheaper to sell and get a TT instead, it's not cheaper to go this route. There are a lot of people who DD their TPC turbo 911's, I am one of them. MarathonBob from the other forum is another one. Doc took his to the track as much as he can w/o any problems. He finally sold his and got a TT b/c he wanted more than 520bhp. The metzger engine can handle a lot more hp. The only problem I have is that my 997 was the first few 997 builds with the open crankcase ventilation system. The blow by smoke vents into the air, right under my rear vents so I get a lot of comments about my engine is smoking and is on fire. lol Gets annoying after awhile and I've been meaning to route that blow by back into the intake, it's so tight in there, hard to work with. Plus this setup is illegal. Make sure to asked for a closed crankcase ventilation system which I believe all the new ones are. Enjoy it, you'll love it.
I think you should be more concerned about the environment than anything else. And this is coming from a guy that has no such strong environmentalist beliefs.
There's a reason modern cars are using EGR(exhaust gas recirculation). You are basically venting exhaust gases that are supposed to be filtered by the catalytic converters directly into the atmosphere.

Just sayin'....
Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I finally got 481hp out of my Porsche....I sold it and bought this

Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

If you wanted Power and Torque, you bought the wrong car and should just tade it in for Turbo. Not sure what's TPC Turbo is, but I would NEVER mod a nice pristine GTS, you'd just RUIN the car, reliability and its resale value... just get a Turbo.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Dubbin'
Instructor

Originally Posted by switch911
I finally got 481hp out of my Porsche....I sold it and bought this
Very nice!

But let's be straight... It ain't no P car...

Mark
Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
If you wanted Power and Torque, you bought the wrong car and should just tade it in for Turbo. Not sure what's TPC Turbo is, but I would NEVER mod a nice pristine GTS, you'd just RUIN the car, reliability and its resale value... just get a Turbo.
Take a chill pill dude. It's his money and his car, it's removable when he's done with it, no harm done. My TPC turbo has been on my 997 for 4 years now with no issues.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM
thekubiaks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
FWIW, I supercharged my prior M3 which was a blast initially but over time I grew a little weary of the non-linear power band and the need to remove the SC whenever I had to replace/service a water pump, alternator, etc. Servicing the air filter element also required removal of the front bumper - novel at first but PITA over time. I DIY so maintenance cost was minimized vs. dealer/indy service but the maintenance time and extra steps required was excessive in comparison to the NA car. I'm very curious as to how a Carrera would be to maintain with the TPC kit as I've also considered this same path.
USMC_DS1, It seems that Marines think alike... I supercharged my BMW 330i (ESS TX2) I had the same experiences as you did with your M3. I'll never supercharge again (but it was fun).

Semper Fi,
MOS 7523
Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1. I never understood why anyone would bolt a turbo onto an engine that was not designed for the extra stress that a turbo places on the engine, plus rest of drivetrain. That is just asking for trouble.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:21 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not defending the aftermarket turbo kits but there is a difference. A factory built turbo usually runs at about 18 or 19 psi or so and the TPC kit is like 6 or 7 psi.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It was quite popular to bolt on superchargers on 997.1 cars, I think peak was in '09-'10. Most of those cars from what I can trace lost their motors, those who tracked those cars went first. Still, for a street car that only rarely hits redline it is no biggie. For a car that runs 30 min non stop at or close to redline or above to put turbo or superchargers is risky.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Jutskin
Track Day

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Very cool... Let us know what you think of the TPC kit after the install. Power should be stunning but I'm curious as to handling characteristics and ease of maintenance. FWIW, I supercharged my prior M3 which was a blast initially but over time I grew a little weary of the non-linear power band and the need to remove the SC whenever I had to replace/service a water pump, alternator, etc. Servicing the air filter element also required removal of the front bumper - novel at first but PITA over time. I DIY so maintenance cost was minimized vs. dealer/indy service but the maintenance time and extra steps required was excessive in comparison to the NA car. I'm very curious as to how a Carrera would be to maintain with the TPC kit as I've also considered this same path.

BTW, is your GTS a MT or PDK car? I think PDK would be be the way to go but I wonder if it may require tranny tuning software. MT would be frustrating as the shift points from 1st to 2nd would almost require instantaneous foot/clutch work... it requires a quick shift as it is with NA. Keep us posted on the progress of the mod. Very interested in the final outcome.
Will keep in touch with the results.
Car is PDK and TPC says the tune is stocklike..
.....power is also said to be linear.
Hope so......feel free to PM.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Jutskin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ynot
I couldn't agree more, I've seen guys on here and the other forum spending $10K on bolt-ons to yield 30HP, pretty ridiculous, Porsche engineers did a great job extracting every hp they can. People say it's much cheaper to sell and get a TT instead, it's not cheaper to go this route.

There are a lot of people who DD their TPC turbo 911's, I am one of them. MarathonBob from the other forum is another one. Doc took his to the track as much as he can w/o any problems. He finally sold his and got a TT b/c he wanted more than 520bhp. The metzger engine can handle a lot more hp. The only problem I have is that my 997 was the first few 997 builds with the open crankcase ventilation system. The blow by smoke vents into the air, right under my rear vents so I get a lot of comments about my engine is smoking and is on fire. lol Gets annoying after awhile and I've been meaning to route that blow by back into the intake, it's so tight in there, hard to work with. Plus this setup is illegal. Make sure to asked for a closed crankcase ventilation system which I believe all the new ones are. Enjoy it, you'll love it.
One thing for sure......no like smoke.......
Thanx for chiming in....reassuring.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S how to add more horsepower?