Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knotchy 1st Gear? Specific Characteristics of P-car Manuals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
deeplo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knotchy 1st Gear? Specific Characteristics of P-car Manuals?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2010 997.2 C4S Manual CPO'd with 11k miles on it. I've had it for approximately 4 weeks, and have driven it a total of 1600 miles in the past month, 1000 of which came from driving it from Chicago to New Haven.

What I've noticed over the past couple of weeks is a notchy 1st gear. There seems to be difficulty placing the car into first from the neutral position. It's worst in the morning, especially when its extremely cold, and the shifting certainly improves after the car has been driven for a whole - which made me think this was a temperature related issue, and not something more intrinsic or mechanical.

But today made me a bit concerned, with the clutch fully engaged, where the car wouldn't go into first at all. I released, then repressed the clutch, and was then able to place the car into first - yet it still felt a bit notchy.

While I am an experienced manual driver, drove a nissan maxima stick for over 100K without replacing the clutch, I am curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on this. Including if there is some thing I may doing with driving this particular manual that could be contributing to this problem.

What do you think the problem is? Is this expected? Normal? Specific to cold weather?
Would changing the transmission oil help?
Any thoughts on this would be helpful...

I have searched and read some of the previous posts on this being a weather related issue...but I'm curious to see if this is truly the case. And if anyone, who's been driving the car in the winter, has been experiencing this as well.

In addition, feel free to share if there's anything unique to driving a p-car manual that I may not be appreciating.

Much thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I drive mine all winter (and its been a very cold winter here in Toronto!!) and the tranny is stiff for sure till the transmission warms up. I don't usually notice it after that

If I have an issue I do the same thing you did or also try going in to 2nd and then to 1st

I'd say its normal
Old 03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
mick997
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal - 1st and 2nd can often can be notchy especially when cold. Part of the charm ..When at standstill try moving selector towards 2nd then slot into 1st. Welcome to the 997 gearbox.- on the plus side as it warms the selection will improve.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal, mine is hard to shift into 1st when cold, smooth as butter once warmed up. No issues with 2nd or other gears. Occasionally it can be difficult getting into 1st when cold, especially if moving at all.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

1st... welcome to RL and post some pics of the car! What you describe is kinda normal... My gear box did improve a bit after I changed my gear oil last year. An easy DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html
FWIW, a short shifter will be notchier according to my p-tech. I have the B&M SSK. May have time this weekend to switch over to the Numeric Shifter and see if that has any affect.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Charolastra
Intermediate

OP: I can echo the other people's comments. I have the factory short shift kit, which seems to have this issue quite a bit. It is just one of the quirks of these cars....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM
dalancroft
Racer

I propose a simple solution: Move to California! We live just south of San Francisco and have no such problems.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Happens to me, too. Until the car warms up I will go to 2nd and THEN to 1st and it's usually much easier to engage than straight from neutral to 1st...

John
Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's normal, I live in SoCal and still have this issue.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

normal.

As said, put in 2nd and then it goes nicely from 2 to 1. From neutral to 1 can be hard when cold.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

As you are getting from everyone, it's fairly normal--particularly when cold weather is a factor.

Porsche wound up putting in steel synchros in for gears one and two when they designed the 997 (compared to brass for the 996). It's a bit more of a challenge but NEVER force a Porsche tranny or you will be paying for it in the future. I'm extremely easy going with trannys and thus have never paid a dime in transmission repairs with 325,000 miles in Porsches (mostly 911). I also typically go beyond 100,000 for a clutch.

Just take it slow, and be gentle. This is not a Nissan.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As you are getting from everyone, it's fairly normal--particularly when cold weather is a factor.

Porsche wound up putting in steel synchros in for gears one and two when they designed the 997 (compared to brass for the 996). It's a bit more of a challenge but NEVER force a Porsche tranny or you will be paying for it in the future. I'm extremely easy going with trannys and thus have never paid a dime in transmission repairs with 325,000 miles in Porsches (mostly 911). I also typically go beyond 100,000 for a clutch.

Just take it slow, and be gentle. This is not a Nissan.
+1... basically you must standing still, to get it into 1st. Cold transmission oil also makes it harder obviously, so maybe you just notice it more.

I did a transmission fluid change last year that helped overall with various things, but mostly beneficial for track driving. Yours newer, so no need.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I echo previous comments on normal.

Do a search on RL for the "automatic pullback" technique for shifting MT sport cars.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that my Porsche shifter is better when cold as compared to my previous Corvette ZO6, but I have used the same technique for both which helps. Start the car and keep clutch pedal engaged. Row through all gears a couple of times until you feel things working easier. Afterwards, the shifter will be less notchy when you start driving.

When up to normal operating temps, I have no problem shifting from second to first as I approach the turn into my driveway, for example.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this: If you feel resistance going into first and you're completely stopped, try pulling your foot off the clutch about 1/2 inch while maintaining light pressure on the shift ****. Get back on the clutch if you're not ready to move! Mine slides into first easily when I do this.

2006C4S with factory short shifter. Always had difficulty getting into 1st (sort of randomly though...and usually at the most annoying times). I had developed a habit at a standstill of going from N to 2nd, then to 1st on prior cars, but that did NOT help on this car. I think I saw a forum post about the clutch pedal release (just a tad...practice so you don't creep into an intersection or into the car in front of you). works for me.

Originally Posted by deeplo
Hello everyone,

What I've noticed over the past couple of weeks is a notchy 1st gear. There seems to be difficulty placing the car into first from the neutral position. It's worst in the morning, especially when its extremely cold, and the shifting certainly improves after the car has been driven for a whole - which made me think this was a temperature related issue, and not something more intrinsic or mechanical.

But today made me a bit concerned, with the clutch fully engaged, where the car wouldn't go into first at all. I released, then repressed the clutch, and was then able to place the car into first - yet it still felt a bit notchy.

While I am an experienced manual driver, drove a nissan maxima stick for over 100K without replacing the clutch, I am curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on this. Including if there is some thing I may doing with driving this particular manual that could be contributing to this problem.

What do you think the problem is? Is this expected? Normal? Specific to cold weather?
Would changing the transmission oil help?
Any thoughts on this would be helpful...

Much thanks

Quick Reply: Knotchy 1st Gear? Specific Characteristics of P-car Manuals?