Sponsored by:

Help with CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CEL

Driving home today my 2009 C4S's CEL illuminated. Dealer was closed, and I likely won't be able to make it in until next week. I read the code myself, and came back as "P000c" with the explanation of "'A' Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2 a." Cleared the code, started it back up again, and drove for a minute before it popped back up again. I recently changed the battery due to the previous failing (I know, just picked up a trickle charger) and I've been meaning to change the oil for a bit.

Any thoughts on possible causes? I've done a bit of reading and it seems as though an oil change (especially when it's due) can fix this code, but I'm not really sure how accurate that is. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Any takers?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar code thrown for bank 1 and dealer replaced one of the VarioCam solenoids on bank 1 which solved my CEL and engine running rough at idle and low RPM. Are you experiencing any performance/engine issues or just a CEL? The camshaft position sensor can go bad as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i will wag a trip to the dealer.the oil could be the problem but i doubt it.....unless it is really really old. as usual it aint gonna be cheap...solenoid
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
camhabib
Instructor

I would have guessed solenoid but the engine is running completely fine. Any idea how difficult / costly a solenoid or position sensor repair runs? We talking engine out of car or this something I can do myself with a fairly good working knowledge?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2010 C4S solenoid repair ran me $400 part and labor from dealership. Seemed to be easy job.
I would start with already needed oil change...these solenoids run off of oil so fresh oil may help. My issues only happened when car/oil was cold when it warmed up everything was fine. Oil thinned up a bit I guess.

I would recommend still taking it to dealer or indy place to get it better analyzed. I know I only saw 1 code off my OBD reader and they found like 3 more I didn't see.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by millertimefl
My 2010 C4S solenoid repair ran me $400 part and labor from dealership. Seemed to be easy job.
I would start with already needed oil change...these solenoids run off of oil so fresh oil may help. My issues only happened when car/oil was cold when it warmed up everything was fine. Oil thinned up a bit I guess.

I would recommend still taking it to dealer or indy place to get it better analyzed. I know I only saw 1 code off my OBD reader and they found like 3 more I didn't see.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to stop by asap and report back with any info.

Quick Reply: Help with CEL