Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PASM standard or an option on the Carrera GTS?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Century Rider
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is PASM standard or an option on the Carrera GTS?

Long time lurker, first time poster! I am hoping to join the ranks of Porsche owners after a string of Hondas and Subarus. Here is my last "fun" car...now my wife and I share a Mazda3 thanks to the wonders of parking in San Francisco.

But now I am looking to make the jump to a Porsche in the next two years. The Carrera GTS has me very intrigued - basically the cream of the crop of road-friendly 997s.

However, one thing I am confused about is whether or not PASM is standard on GTS. The dealer brochure I downloaded online suggests it was an option BUT this article from Evo magazine suggests it's standard.

Since the brochure is for the US Market and Evo is a UK mag, I am thinking it's probably not standard in the US.

Can anyone confirm that PASM is an option and not standard on US market Carrera GTS cars?

Thank you!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Great choice, the GTS is the final evolution on the standard 997 and is a great total package. PASM is standard equipment on any 997 Carrera S or GTS. Only an option on standard Carrera's. Good luck in your search!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Century Rider
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick response! I am still a little confused based on this page from the GTS brochure...it seems to list PASM as an optional extra for a 2WD Carrera GTS.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Century Rider
5th Gear

Basically my real question is a mechanical LSD standard on a GTS?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Century Rider
Thanks for the quick response! I am still a little confused based on this page from the GTS brochure...it seems to list PASM as an optional extra for a 2WD Carrera GTS.

That is the PASM Sports Suspension, sometimes referred to SPASM, that is the option. I have it on my GTS and highly recommend it. SPASM also includes limited slip. It can get a little confusing. The option list says that SPASM is 20 mm lower, but it is actually only 10 mm lower than the standard GTS PASM suspension. SPASM is 20 mm lower than the regular Carrera (Non PASM) suspension.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Century Rider
5th Gear

Gotcha! I thought they were one and the same.

So is it safe to assume that not all 997 GTS' have a mechanical LSD?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Century Rider
Gotcha! I thought they were one and the same.

So is it safe to assume that not all 997 GTS' have a mechanical LSD?
Yes, the limited slip would be an option, but is included with the SPASM option.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Great explanation and I would recommend this option in whatever flavor!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PASM is standard on GTS...Sports PASM is an option and that comes with the LSD.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and apologies for repetition), a GTS without SPASM (just PASM) should not be a deal breaker. In their test, Excellence drove both a PASM and SPASM equipped car and found the GTS actually had a better feel without Sport PASM. The director of the Carrera product line, August Achleitner, agreed with this assessment and stated that the GTS was never envisioned to have SPASM, it was simply a carry-over from the Carrera S option list. Many dealers and people like me who ordered their cars thought that "Sport" would be an improvement (not to mention it lowers the car) but that doesn't appear to necessarily be the case. I'm not saying the car is better or worse with SPASM because I have never driven a GTS (hard) without SPASM. What I am saying is that there is a credible review source (Excellence with Achleitner concurring) that believes the GTS is just better sorted without it. With or without SPASM the GTS is a great car.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds strange to me that you are so concerned about an option on a Porsche that you are not going to purchase for 2 years.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:02 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and apologies for repetition), a GTS without SPASM (just PASM) should not be a deal breaker. In their test, Excellence drove both a PASM and SPASM equipped car and found the GTS actually had a better feel without Sport PASM. The director of the Carrera product line, August Achleitner, agreed with this assessment and stated that the GTS was never envisioned to have SPASM, it was simply a carry-over from the Carrera S option list. Many dealers and people like me who ordered their cars thought that "Sport" would be an improvement (not to mention it lowers the car) but that doesn't appear to necessarily be the case. I'm not saying the car is better or worse with SPASM because I have never driven a GTS (hard) without SPASM. What I am saying is that there is a credible review source (Excellence with Achleitner concurring) that believes the GTS is just better sorted without it. With or without SPASM the GTS is a great car.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSD was standard on the 4 GTS and 4 GTS cab, and available as a standalone option on the 2wd variants (option 220).

SPASM (aka PASM sport suspension) was only available on coupes (not cabs).
On the 4 GTS, it was a no cost option. On the 2wd GTS coupe, it was only available as part of the P17 package which also included LSD.

I wouldn't consider either a deal breaker. I have neither. Others have them and like them.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 AM
Century Rider
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Coincident
Sounds strange to me that you are so concerned about an option on a Porsche that you are not going to purchase for 2 years.
Just doing my homework kemosabe.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to get off the GTS entirely, but on previous 997.2 with Sport PASM...is LSD included as well, or was that optional, like on my 09? I ask because on the build/spec sheet I ordered from Suncoast on my car, the LSD stand alone code was not checked...but I do have Sport PASM. Mine drives like it has LSD...but I have nothing to compare it to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is PASM standard or an option on the Carrera GTS?