Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 with 100k Miles - Too much risk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Thedips
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daily Mercedes has 184k on the clock. Everyone always jokes to me to sell it. I say for what I regularly maintain it. Know every inn and out with the car and have full history. I agree get a very through ppi and enjoy it. If you get it cheap enough and have the means then why not.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by gripshifter
Not trying to dissuade anyone from doing anything, the OP was asking for opinions and I stated mine; this is what people typically do on forums. Insane logic?
agreed in every way.

to the OP if you are going to enjoy it for only a few years and it's dirt cheap why not. if you are in for the longer haul (like expecting to get a good 5-10 years out of it) i would pass.

personally like grip-shifter i never consider high milage cars (as i try to get 8-10 years out of them), i don't believe there is anything wrong with that. and LMAO re million miles test; it's practically a huge milestone for 997.1 to be on their original engines and reach 100k miles.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 100K, you have many options. The best option is just about every other P-car for sale will be lower mileage and more desirable for most buyers (this should mean you too). Think resale. When you sell, it is going to be harder to sell because of your usage too. It is most likely not going to be a good trade either because the mileage will scare away many potential buyers. That means it will probably go to a wholesaler for auction rather than sit on a lot for retail sale. If you have always wanted a gray cab with the exact features this car has AND you can get it wholesale, I say go for it. Otherwise, you can and will do better because no matter what someone tries to convince you of, 100K is a lot of use. I don't want one of best decisions in your life to be one of the worse.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
PRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you... I do. I have the car (and all of the maintenance records) for the weekend. Looking at the docs, I see that this is an M96 engine, not an M97, as previously thought. The certificate says M96/03/G96/00.

If I pull the trigger on this, the price will be "mid-$30s..."
Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PRC
I hear you... I do. I have the car (and all of the maintenance records) for the weekend. Looking at the docs, I see that this is an M96 engine, not an M97, as previously thought. The certificate says M96/03/G96/00.

If I pull the trigger on this, the price will be "mid-$30s..."
Check the engine number on the motor an S should be M97.

My rough estimate of priceMSRP x .40 to .45) - 10k for mileage.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM
PRC
Advanced

Thanks - I will have a look. PPI is scheduled with Marc Bixen at RedLine here in L.A. for Monday morning ($350 - not sure if that's the normal PPI pricing). I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey PRC, please share the results of the PPI with this forum. I'm especially interested in the compression tests, and what leaks are happening (if any) under the car.

I noticed that your friend is letting you have the car for the weekend. Brilliant on his part. Be warned - you're never going to give it back!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Jubert39
Track Day

Lol at the responses. to the OP: I think the price is a bit off if its in the mid $30s. You can find plenty of 997.1 for mid 30's with 40-75K miles. But that doesnt mean you should avoid high miles.

To all of you saying its no good to buy high miles, you arent factoring in price. So you could buy a 50K miles 997.1 for 40K, but would you are immediately saying pass on a car with 100K even if its was cheap? What if it was $25K for 100K miles 911?

Resale value? Again you are paying WAY less to buy the car. Its basically at the bottom of the depreciation curve. The more miles the car has, the better the deal is between buying and reselling. If he decides to sell when it has 130K miles on it, how much do you think hell get for it? I guaranteed at LEAST $20K he could still get for the car assuming all else is working properly.

Compare that to someone buying a 997.1 with 60K miles for $35K. If he resold that car with 90K miles, I assure you he'd be down more money that the previous scenario.

long story short:Everything has a price. 100K miles on a 911? For the right price, he can be a GREAT deal. EVERYthing comes down to price tho.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid of the miles as long as it's been well maintained, passes a PPI and is what you are comfortable with. Yes it's going to effect the resale if you ever decide to go that route but that should also be reflected in the current purchase price. Hope the PPI comes back with a clean bill of health and you can make your decision from there.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
What would be crazy would be paying too much for a 100k car. A fair price is what you should look for. Do your PPi, and then make the call. I have 103,000 kms on my car, or 60,000 miles. I bought it for a fair price. It was well maintained, I have full records. I has some previously inflicted patina and therefore I don't worry too much about it. If I had $100,000 dollars in this car, I would be a mess. Worried about where it is parked, taking the kids shoes off so they don't get the back seat dirty. Driving slow through deep puddle, not driving it in high humidity rain. I have driven this car the last 372 days every day, save 4 when the snow was deeper than the fog lights. PPi and price = FUN FOR THE SUMMER Shop wisely and you may never look back. It may also be your last Porsche because you will keep it, or it maybe your first Porsche, as you have now drunk the elixir. Do you need it? NO. Your could drive a soulless impala. Its still cheaper than a girlfriend. Buy it well, and you should be able to unload it if you need or want to.
puddles, snow?? What are you doing?!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Agree with PPI recommendations, a thorough one at that. Also agree with Jubert, I wouldn't worry about the mileage all else being good only if the price was right.

Have you done a market scan to see what a similar spec'd car prices out at with various mileage numbers?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I wouldn't! Too many miles and too many stories you don't know!

Tom
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

I don't understand why so many folks worry about 100k on a 911. A daily driven 911, not tracked (lets face most don't), taken care of, should last much beyond 100k.

So why the big concern with engines not making it to 100k? To be honest, I have owned about 30 cars in my life to date, never have I worried about an engine or mileage. So what don't I know?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM
pinski
Intermediate

100k miles is such an arbitrary number and is based upon long standing belief that your car cannot make it past that sort of mileage. With modern manufacturing processes and with proper maintenance, there is no reason that any vehicle produced in the last 10-15 years cannot make it past 100k miles and still run beautifully and reliably. That said, with regards to anything of advanced age and use, proper inspection before purchasing, service history and continued maintenance are extremely important, moreso than on a newer, lower mileage vehicle.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

As already mentioned, it depends on the price. You can buy a low mileage 911 but you will have to pay a pretty set depreciation rate. If you get a higher mileage 911 at a low enough price you at least have the chance of possibly avoiding large maintenances bills. Depreciation is guaranteed, repair costs are not. Of course you still have the risk a huge repair bill.

I bought a 2006 911 with 72k miles for $36k with a CPO warranty. I just traded it in with 79k miles for $27k 26 months later. Only out of pocket costs was the scheduled service and new wipers. CPO covered two minor issues that would have been less than $1k total out of pocket. The previous owner put on 45k miles on it in 1.5 years. That had to be highway miles. From how it drove I couldn't tell the difference between it and my previous brand new 2008 Cayman. I felt I could have driven it to 100k and sell it for at least $20k in a few years based on 996 prices but I always wanted a convertible so I traded it in.

Quick Reply: 997.1 with 100k Miles - Too much risk?