Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on this 997

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:32 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you afford the car? Are you OK with the color and options? If yes and yes, what is the bother? This was probably owned by an enthusiast who purchased the car outright. I wonder if one can make those changes on a lease??? At 3 years old, it is prime for a lease turn in. Personally, I would look for a better deal. You could possibly save lots of money if you are in the right place at the right time. For example, I bought my '05 car in 2011 at half the price you are paying today. It only had 6K more miles too. Granted, it was not an S model, but the car was cosmetically and mechanically flawless. Personally, if I was going to pay top dollar for this ride, I would insist on a warranty, otherwise I would wait it out for something less expensive.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd pass.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
In general FVD exhaust systems are on the high end, made in Germany by M&M, and distributed by FVD who provides excellent customer service. If it's an FVD then it may be one of these systems price between $4K to $9K: http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...st_System.html FWIW, I've had an FVD Brombaucher exhaust system on my car for 3yrs now... very happy with the product and FVD service.

Re the "chipped" ECU... you may want to have the dealer flash the car back to stock if they don't have the chip/flash program from the PO. Some p-dealers will refuse warranty service if the ECU has been remapped so you'll always want the flash codes(stock and remapped) so that you may switch between the two if necessary... plus some flash codes will not pass emission testing unless the ECU is flashed back to the stock mapping. One way to resolve this would be to procure a new set of remap codes. FWIW, FVD offers a very nice remap which specifically takes advantage of their exhaust systems and passes emissions w/o requiring a remap back to stock. GL with the car.
Thanks USMC. Lots of good stuff there.

I've got the dealer running a PPI and I am going back there this Saturday with the wife to check it out and maybe do it.

Fun side story is we are going Saturday with the kids to ensure that they fit in the back (wife's requirement....they are 5 and 2). I had a solution to this with an E63...but she thinks that I should just get the 997 as that is what I actually want.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sy308
Can you afford the car? Are you OK with the color and options? If yes and yes, what is the bother? This was probably owned by an enthusiast who purchased the car outright. I wonder if one can make those changes on a lease??? At 3 years old, it is prime for a lease turn in. Personally, I would look for a better deal. You could possibly save lots of money if you are in the right place at the right time. For example, I bought my '05 car in 2011 at half the price you are paying today. It only had 6K more miles too. Granted, it was not an S model, but the car was cosmetically and mechanically flawless. Personally, if I was going to pay top dollar for this ride, I would insist on a warranty, otherwise I would wait it out for something less expensive.
That's really the decision...if it is the right one and right time. My current car has a balloon payment due in August. I have the money for it and really and truly still like it, but was just starting to look to see if I wanted something else.

I have two little kids (who I am sure will fit fine in the car) and was just looking to see if I could find something fun as an alternative to my 2 door 335. I was showing my wife ideas (E63....potentially new M3, CTS-V, etc....) and she said "why don't you just get the 911 you like". Because of that I just did a quick search (I maybe like a lot of folks here play on autotrader a lot with ideas) and happened to find this example close by to me.

So....I went and checked it out. And it kinda hits all the right boxes. My only concern is really is it a good example at a good price or would it be better to wait and find one in the next 3-4 months that is better.

On the good price front - it seems a bit high, but no unreasonable if it is Porsche Approved / CPO'd (I assume I would offer $68...and see if they came down some). If it is indeed true that they won't CPO it then I probably need more off or should just stay away.

On the good example front - Has all options I want (not PDK, good wheels, sport chrono), is an acceptable if not great color combo (I'd probably prefer a dark color....black, blue, someones odd paint to sample.....with a natural or cocoa interior), and is low mileage. Only questions are will they really not CPO it and/or was it a track day for the weekend type car with lots of overrevs and such.

So it just comes down to....is it warrantable / CPO'ble / good PPI. Oh and when we look at with every one on Saturday does my wife approve and confirm the kids fit.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ggoodlife
I've got the dealer running a PPI and I am going back there this Saturday with the wife to check it out and maybe do it.
Normally, you would have an independent third party perform the PPI.
Since you are trusting the dealer to perform the PPI inspection, I would recommend that you have them give you a list or a form that shows specifically what they checked. Make sure that this list is a part of the sales agreement in the event that they really didn't tell the truth about the condition of something and it becomes a problem later.
Also, I would be firm about knowing whether the car has been chipped or not. It's something you need to know, and the onus is on them to figure this out. They should have the technicians and diagnostic machines to determine this.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two daughters (2 and 5-years old) and both fit in the back of my 997.1 with no issues. However that will be short lived I'm sure.

Make sure you get a copy of the DME report from the PPI. Since the car is at a dealership, it should be no problem for them to run one. The DME report will tell you what (if any) kind of over-revs the car has had. Also since they are a dealer that sells used cars, they should be able to run a CARFAX report. That will tell you how many previous owners there were as well as whether it was an auction vehicle. If the salesman balks on providing this, tell him you will find another place to spend $70K+.

Sean
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ggoodlife
Thanks USMC. Lots of good stuff there.

Fun side story is we are going Saturday with the kids to ensure that they fit in the back (wife's requirement....they are 5 and 2). I had a solution to this with an E63...but she thinks that I should just get the 997 as that is what I actually want.
With the dealer selling the car doing the PPI you could have a conflict of interest situation on your hands. I would let them know that you'll have your local dealer confirm their PPI report if you buy the car so no tricks and games please.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 PM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

I have the carfax and it is a one owner car, no salvage, or really anything of note at all.

On the ppi I figured if I pulled the trigger I would do it on condition of a confirmation check at a competing dealer.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sniff
I have two daughters (2 and 5-years old) and both fit in the back of my 997.1 with no issues. However that will be short lived I'm sure.

Sean
I've see. / read enough that I don't expect this to be an issue at all. Really she just wants to make sure she likes it and that the four of us don't always have to take her SUV to anywhere.

I think the back works for the kids till they are 11-12. But we will see
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 AM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for $73K you can get a loaded 09 997.2 cab with only 8K miles.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997v2cabrio
for $73K you can get a loaded 09 997.2 cab with only 8K miles.
2 years older but less miles and cab.....hmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Help me decide on this 997