Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM
lbk8950
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

I have read the rough idle threads...and none of them are quite on point. I have the (apparently) trademark vibration in the seat at idle. It is better when I turn the AC off and even better when the climate control is off. I have a 2005 C2 with 39k miles. Oil was changed regularly and no metal shavings, bits, etc. in the filter at the last oil change.

I just changed plugs and coils and the vibration is still present. I plan on cleaning the MAF this weekend. I have no codes. The car otherwise runs well. The vibration smooths out at 1k rpms. If the MAF cleaning doesn't help, my next thought was engine mounts. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Mine too. No codes, changed plugs, still rough. No help from the stealership.
Keep us posted . . .
Old 04-19-2014, 04:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Vacuum leaks. They manifest most at idle and when engine cold.
Check for that.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:31 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Im going to watch where this one goes....
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Idle

Same issue here....we've got to figure this out!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here as well with my 05'. I've also experienced random misfire codes.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

When were the plugs and coils replaced? What part of the country are you in?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When were the plugs and coils replaced? What part of the country are you in?
I replaced mine roughly 8k miles ago, and I'm in N. VA.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM
lbk8950
AutoX

I'm in Michigan. I replaced the coils and plugs about 500 miles ago. No improvement.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by lbk8950
I have read the rough idle threads...and none of them are quite on point. I have the (apparently) trademark vibration in the seat at idle. It is better when I turn the AC off and even better when the climate control is off. I have a 2005 C2 with 39k miles. Oil was changed regularly and no metal shavings, bits, etc. in the filter at the last oil change.

I just changed plugs and coils and the vibration is still present. I plan on cleaning the MAF this weekend. I have no codes. The car otherwise runs well. The vibration smooths out at 1k rpms. If the MAF cleaning doesn't help, my next thought was engine mounts. Any other suggestions?
No codes? No pending codes?

Maybe the idle roughness is normal? These engine are smooth but idle is a bit rough. VarioCam Plus kicks in and reduces lift to lower pumping losses and improve emissions. As a result the engine doesn't idle quite as smooth as it might otherwise.

FWIW, I sometimes get a bit of rattle from my '03 Turbo's passenger seat due a idle vibration. Nothing gruesome. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I run the same gasoline (Shell V-Power 91 octane) each fill up and the car gets used regularly.

The Turbo has VarioCam Plus while the '02 Boxster does not. The Boxster engine idles smooth as a sewing machine.

How about a 40 or more mile drive? Take off down the freeway and at 20 miles or so turn around and drive back. Avoid traffic you want the engine to run at a steady RPM for some time. No need to get crazy with the car either just set the cruise control at the speed limit and sit back and let the engine run .

After one of these drives engines in my cars are smoother and more responsive.

If you want run a bottle or two of Techron through the fuel tank. Follow the instructions on the label. I like to change the oil/filter shortly after using Techron.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Have you cleaned the intake plenum ?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 PM
TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
No codes? No pending codes? Maybe the idle roughness is normal? These engine are smooth but idle is a bit rough. VarioCam Plus kicks in and reduces lift to lower pumping losses and improve emissions. As a result the engine doesn't idle quite as smooth as it might otherwise. FWIW, I sometimes get a bit of rattle from my '03 Turbo's passenger seat due a idle vibration. Nothing gruesome. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I run the same gasoline (Shell V-Power 91 octane) each fill up and the car gets used regularly. The Turbo has VarioCam Plus while the '02 Boxster does not. The Boxster engine idles smooth as a sewing machine. How about a 40 or more mile drive? Take off down the freeway and at 20 miles or so turn around and drive back. Avoid traffic you want the engine to run at a steady RPM for some time. No need to get crazy with the car either just set the cruise control at the speed limit and sit back and let the engine run . After one of these drives engines in my cars are smoother and more responsive. If you want run a bottle or two of Techron through the fuel tank. Follow the instructions on the label. I like to change the oil/filter shortly after using Techron.
This sounds like my C2 06 (12k). Just a bit rough at cold idle, nothing huge...smooths out after warm up and spirited drive.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 AM
lbk8950
AutoX

I have not cleaned the plenum, I can try that as well. It does not really improve after long drives, etc. It is certainly worse when cold. This could be no problem at all. It is just that I never experienced anything like this in my 06 Cayman S.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Dadio
Have you cleaned the intake plenum ?
+1. I had the same issue...but it was not all the time....cleaned the plenum and haven't had the problem since.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I have not cleaned the plenum, I can try that as well. It does not really improve after long drives, etc. It is certainly worse when cold. This could be no problem at all. It is just that I never experienced anything like this in my 06 Cayman S.
Worse when cold suggests an engine being incorrectly fueled for the temperature. This can arise from a bad (they can be intermittently bad) coolant temp sensor or an intake air temperature sensor. The air intake temperature is a function of the MAF (in those engines that still have a MAF).

You might be able to spot this with an OBD2 code reader/data viewer by observing the intake and coolant temperatures at engine start and while the engine is warning up. You are looking for a temperature reading that disagrees with ambient at engine start. One that is higher than ambient and markedly so.

In some cases the temperatures will not be at ambient. It can take quite a while for a car and its engine coolant and oil to reach ambient temperature. It requires the car be in a stable temperature for some time.

Once you start the engine the coolant temperature should rise one to two degrees F every second or so as the engine idles and warms up. At least this is the case for both of my cars. Intake air temperature can climb a bit as the engine compartment gets warmer but it's rise will not be nearly as dramatic.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle