Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 with PSE

Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 AM
gate58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 with PSE

I am contemplating adding PSE to my 2009 C2S. A friend of mine had the PSE in his boxster and I thought it sounded really awesome. However, I had read that the PSE on the 997.2 is actually not that great. I would love to hear it so if anyone has one in the SF bay area please let me know if I could hear the exhaust. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:48 AM
englebert
Instructor

What Boxster out of interest?

Have to say, you are right, the PSE is disappointing on the 997.2. My dad has a
new Boxster S and it sounds phenomenal in comparison! It is very loud, yet when you turn off the PSE, whisper quiet - deeply impressive.

Having the roof down certainly makes a difference with the Boxster, but nevertheless i wish the 997 had the same setup.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The 997.2 muffler system (stock of PSE) is quieter than the comparable 997.1 system. The reason for this is the center muffler. Replace the center muffler with the Sharkwerks pipes and the sound improves quite a bit.

I have a 2010 C2S with PSE and Sharkwerks center muffler by-pass pipes, and my wife tells me that she always knows when I am about 2 blocks from home because the dogs run to the garage door about a minute before I pull in the garage.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As gota911 said...the magic is in the X pipe!

Here is a test video we shot the other day, playing with the new Hero3 I got for my birthday. I had the open/vented back on the camera to try to capture more sound, but as you can hear after 2nd gear it's pretty buffeted. Still, you can get an idea. The sound is in every sense intoxicating...both up shifts and downshifts. Like Bevis and Butthead....AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN!!!

I'll try again with the solid camera back and few other locations on the car. BTW, the Hero 3 Black is worth the upgrade, the app control and ability to preview/monitor your setup and make changes on the fly is awesome.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, if you are in the East Bay (between Napa and Oakland) you are welcome to listen to mine - but it has a Sharkwerks X-pipe that replaces the center muffler. Depends on what you are looking for, the PSE w/ X-pipe isn't that loud but it does make the car sound much better. If you are looking for an aggressive growl an after-market system would be better.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

PSE isn't worth the $4k cost to retro fit on the 997.2. You can do the "gundo hack" for a couple hundred dollars and get the same effect albeit without on/off switch that you get with PSE.

I went that route and couldn't be happier. I bought a used set of cans and has them modified by Darin Fister. He does a high quality version of the gundo hack. I kept my stock cans just in case I hated it, but they will not go back on the car until I sell it.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm in West Marin and you are more than welcome to take a listen; PM me if interested.

My '10 C4S has PSE (factory installed) and while it does not deliver an earth-shattering roar, it does deliver many special notes, especially when traveling through the local canyons with windows down, SPASM engaged and stupid smile firmly planted on my mug!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM
gate58
Instructor

My buddy had a 2008 RS60 and I absolutely loved the sound. We were in Laguna Seca for a one day skip barber school and it was a joy to hear the car from Laguna Seca back to SF with the top down.

Originally Posted by englebert

new Boxster S and it sounds phenomenal in comparison! It is very loud, yet when you turn off the PSE, whisper quiet - deeply impressive.

Having the roof down certainly makes a difference with the Boxster, but nevertheless i wish the 997 had the same setup.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 PM
gate58
Instructor

How loud is the exhaust after the Gundo hack? I am contemplating getting the Fister cans for my 996 GT3 as the exhaust note on that car is almost non-existent. I like the fact I can turn off PSE as the the 997S is actually the wife's car that she drives to work a couple times a week.

Originally Posted by englebert

Originally Posted by Gripster
PSE isn't worth the $4k cost to retro fit on the 997.2. You can do the "gundo hack" for a couple hundred dollars and get the same effect albeit without on/off switch that you get with PSE.

I went that route and couldn't be happier. I bought a used set of cans and has them modified by Darin Fister. He does a high quality version of the gundo hack. I kept my stock cans just in case I hated it, but they will not go back on the car until I sell it.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
gate58
Instructor

Hey David, I am actually going to be in Sears Point tomorrow and maybe there's a chance I could listen to your car tomorrow? This is totally last minute so I understand if timing is tough. I'll PM you. Thanks.

Originally Posted by david
I'm in West Marin and you are more than welcome to take a listen; PM me if interested.

My '10 C4S has PSE (factory installed) and while it does not deliver an earth-shattering roar, it does deliver many special notes, especially when traveling through the local canyons with windows down, SPASM engaged and stupid smile firmly planted on my mug!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
msuheritage
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at adding PSE to my 2009 C4S. After all the research, I went with the Tubi. Unreal sound and I do not regret it for a second.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
gate58
Instructor

I would totally go aftermarket if I didn't have the need for a quiet mode.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

PSE sounds great on my GTS and no warranty concerns that you might have with aftermarket exhaust. Of course if your car is out of warranty, that is not an issue.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 PM
gate58
Instructor

I still have CPO until next May. I think I am just going to do it. It's $2300+tax from sonnen porsche and my mechanic will install it for $800.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gate58
Hey David, I am actually going to be in Sears Point tomorrow and maybe there's a chance I could listen to your car tomorrow? This is totally last minute so I understand if timing is tough. I'll PM you. Thanks.
Late in the day Thursday should work just let me know when you're leaving SP...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 with PSE