Sponsored by:

DIY: 997 Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:09 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaychub
Did you read through the thread I posted up there? My car is a 2007 C2S as well and what you explained up there is exactly the same issue lots of people had, once the car warms up and you switch off, when you try to start up it sounds like your battery is bad or the kickstarter is sluggish, and after a few minutes it starts up again sluggishly. I didn't read the volts or anything, I just read through that thread and so many people had the same issue which was resolved after changing the cable. I changed my cable and saw the difference immediately.

This cable issue is a known issue and its the cable between the gearbox and the engine, on the manual gearbox, not sure about the config of the trip, there's a terminal on the gearbox that terminates two cables, one running from the battery to the terminal, the other (the culprit) running from the terminal to the alternator/starter.
Thank you. I didn't realize the cable to the alternator from starter also goes off around the engine. Me bad, I wasn't paying enough attention. Now I have to figure out if Tip is any different. The dealership said they have to fix this cable and the one that continues on to the battery too and that the engine would have to be dropped. We shall see .
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 07:42 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You need both replaced. Mine cost 1500 or so at the dealer. It's lots of labor time. The parts are 300 or sp
Old 08-26-2017, 10:49 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suffered the 'slow to start when hot' syndrome since I bought my car. Finally had enough. Dropped it off at my Porsche mechanics house and said check the battery to starter cable etc. End of the day it was the starter as I had almost 0 voltage drops along the cables.

Wow....what a difference. Cold, hot, warm.....no more ruf ruf ruf. Now its, brrrrrr start!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:04 PM
tribe
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks OP for the detailed instructions! I replaced my starter last night and it fixed my hot start problems. Got the starter from Autozone for $153 + core charge.

Just a couple suggestions for anyone else that does the job. I could get to the upper right starter bolt with a small 3/8" breaker, reduces the chance to strip the bolt head. For the lower left bolt, moving the alternator (saw this in another thread) allowed more direct access. I ended up using a wobble extension instead of universal joint as it allowed me to tap the socket on and put pressure on the extension when loosening the bolt.
The following 2 users liked this post by tribe:
911URGE (03-12-2023), UK2 (02-28-2022)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:26 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tribe
Thanks OP for the detailed instructions! I replaced my starter last night and it fixed my hot start problems. Got the starter from Autozone for $153 + core charge.

Just a couple suggestions for anyone else that does the job. I could get to the upper right starter bolt with a small 3/8" breaker, reduces the chance to strip the bolt head. For the lower left bolt, moving the alternator (saw this in another thread) allowed more direct access. I ended up using a wobble extension instead of universal joint as it allowed me to tap the socket on and put pressure on the extension when loosening the bolt.
Nice! I did mine also (updated on another thread) and it fixed my problem. Sure beats replacing that cable!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Marked for future reference
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
New starter/alternator cable did not fix the problem.
I did the same thing on my friend's 997. It appears to be the "recommended fix", which is was not.

It ended up being the starter. I rebuilt his old one, a simple job.

997 Starter Rebuild
Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM
asflyboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an excellent write up. I hope the starter replacement that I just started solves my hot start problems in my 2008 997s as well.

Post removal update:

I did find it easier to access the bottom bolt holding the starter on to the bell housing by removing the alternator first. At least this is true on the 2008 997. The pictures look a little different on the OP post.

Last edited by asflyboy; 06-26-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 PM
asflyboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asflyboy
This is an excellent write up. I hope the starter replacement that I just started solves my hot start problems in my 2008 997s as well.

Post removal update:

I did find it easier to access the bottom bolt holding the starter on to the bell housing by removing the alternator first. At least this is true on the 2008 997. The pictures look a little different on the OP post.
Post starter replacement:

The new starter solved all of my starting problems. Very quick starts now at about twice the rotation speed of the original starter. No hot start issues whatsoever.

When I bought the car in the spring of 2014 I tried starting it again hot after the test drive. It sounded like the battery was almost dead. When I had the pre purchase inspection done the mechanic told me that it was an 80% chance that the starter would fix the problem and 20% chance that a new wiring harness would be needed. I'm glad it was just the starter.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

What does the "Tuning Pipe" do? I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere else....

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's real name is called a Resonance Tube (item #9). It's a valve that appears to be actuated by vacuum. If I had to guess, it regulates air pressure or flow between the two intake manifolds. For what reason I don't know.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:22 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

That’s awesome. Thanks for digging that up for me. ;-)

i belive you are on in the right track with your thoughts as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Triple.Sevens
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just did this DIY since I had slow hot starts as well. Amazing write up and I was able to complete the job.

BUUUTT. I seemed to have lost my power braking. The only thing I messed up on the DIY was that I was trying to remove the vacuum line and it ended up coming out from the other side. I have no idea where it would connect to but I'm guessing it's for the power brakes. Does anyone know where that vacuum line ends up or how I can re attach it?

Need help since I don't have power brakes now
Old 09-09-2018, 12:20 AM
Triple.Sevens
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found this picture. It's the line that is circled in green. I have a 2006 997 and this picture is from a 996. Where does this change over valve 1 live in the engine bay?
The following users liked this post:
russellclaude (06-04-2020)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:16 AM
kmetros
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens
So I just did this DIY since I had slow hot starts as well. Amazing write up and I was able to complete the job.

BUUUTT. I seemed to have lost my power braking. The only thing I messed up on the DIY was that I was trying to remove the vacuum line and it ended up coming out from the other side. I have no idea where it would connect to but I'm guessing it's for the power brakes. Does anyone know where that vacuum line ends up or how I can re attach it?

Need help since I don't have power brakes now
I had trouble getting this one off too. I ended up slitting the rubber hose about 1/2 cm to loosen it's grip on the vacuum hose, then it came lose. I cut the slit off the end before reassembly and it all went together just fine. But that doesn't really help you, does it? Sorry.

Anyway, I'm almost positive the other end of this vacuum line is on the left side of the intake runners on the left, when you're looking into the engine bay - between the runners and the body of the car. Behind the area circled below is where you should be looking. This is just a picture I found on-line that shows a visual representation of the approximate location.

Best of luck!

Kurt

Quick Reply: DIY: 997 Starter Replacement