Sponsored by:

This is why I despise dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is why I despise dealerships

So I decided to put the original rims back on my '06 C4S as I was due for a tire change on the rears. After 15 minutes of trying to find a local tire shop here in D.C. that could mount & balance 305-wide tires (with no luck), I decided to call the local Porsche dealership in Arlington, VA. I asked the service rep how much it would cost to mount & balance two new tires on my rear rims (which were off the car by the way). He told me . . . wait for it . . . $300.00!!

After I picked my jaw off the floor, I asked him why it was so expensive. He said, and I quote, "Well, it's because we provide the weights." YGBSM! Did he honestly think I would fall for that crap? It's sad to think how many unsuspecting Porsche owners (with deep pockets) they sucker into paying these prices for virtually no work. After I hung up I made a few more phone calls and found a shop 15 minutes away that did it for less than $60 (and that included new valve stems plus they filled the tires with nitrogen).

You know, I could see double the price at a dealership, but not 5 times. To think how much business Porsche dealerships lose because they don't even try to be competitive with their pricing. The shop that ended up doing the work obviously made a profit at $60, and they too have overhead. It's just pure greed in my opinion.

Sean
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

Stealerships owners should go to jail with those prices.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche of Arlington's service department are the most crooked scumbags I have ever dealt with.

They claimed all my hydraulic lifters should be replaced (6,000usd) because of a metallic ticking sound. (Which went away after an oil change).

I did get screwed though with that oil change from them which became a 4 year major service - they ran the total up to over 2,000 usd for this.

You should write the service manager and tell her what you think. I did.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

"Porsche of Arlington's service department are the most crooked scumbags I have ever dealt with."

I agree. It's like he pulled the $300.00 quote completely out of his a$$. If someone else called asking for the same thing, who knows what he would quote them. These guys won't ever touch my car.

Sean
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW the service reps there all hate you. They own ****ty old Boxsters they drive home to their ugly wives and hate seeing successful people in 911's. This is where they get the nerve.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
BTW the service reps there all hate you. They own ****ty old Boxsters they drive home to their ugly wives and hate seeing successful people in 911's. This is where they get the nerve.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:18 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I wonder if they feel they need to compete. After all the bulk of owners of any Porsche take their vehicles to the dealership versus Indy. If they reduced the prices for enthusiasts who are more aware, they loose big time spread over the remainder of customers.

$300 is nuts with a lame *** justification.

I dealt with GM Financial this week on my daily driver, they'd been overcharging me on the lease every month by almost $40....two phone agents, one in "accounting" tried to tell me taxes went up last year and that my base payment plus tax added up correctly....do they really think people have no idea about sales taxes and how to do simple math....dumb asses.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would have asked if that included the tires, WTF.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 535 Likes on 318 Posts

LMFAO

Originally Posted by Para82
Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

They were probably pissed that you didn't buy the tires form them. They do sound like crooks. My Porsche dealer will match Tirerack prices on tires and charges about the same as a tire shop to mount and balance them.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 334 Posts

Porsche of Arlington. ARGH!!!!

When I bought my 911 a little over a year ago, the did an unacceptable PIP on the car and ended up refunding the fee after weeks and weeks of phone calls and correspondence with pictures etc. (copied to Porsche North America) on items they missed. Luckily these were cosmetic and Woodhouse Porsche in Omaha (which is at the extreme opposite side of the dealership rankings as one of the best) took care of everything under the factory warranty.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

A few days ago I replaced the window regulator on my ten year old DD BMW. Somehow I missed a step and ended up with an airbag light when I was all finished. Crap. I called the local dealer and they said minimum book time to clear the light (one hour) - $160. No thank you.

I found an independent BMW garage and asked if they could do it. "Sure, bring it by" he said. He plugged it in and cleared it in about two minutes. "No charge, have a nice day", he said.

Dealer lost a customer (I never go there for anything anyway). Independent garage gained a customer.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 AM
hotwired
Rennlist Member

I got quoted $400 at my local dealership. Never going there again.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the seventies and eighties my dad's dealership was the exact opposite. He used to flip free repairs to good customers or give them stuff like a used alternator free. We had people bring all makes to our shop because word was out, in the summer we were booked solid ten days advance. I remember this one guy who said as he signed the check for his 124 coupe, " I don't even like these cars that much, I'm buying my third one because of how you guys take care of customers", I never forgot that... Of course even back then we were the Anti dealer. One time my dad told the local Pontiac dealer not to sell a car he brought to us for repair because the front end was rusted out and dangerous, saw it on his lot on the way to lunch same day.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM
997CarreraCab
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone use Autohaus in New Jersey to service their 911?

Quick Reply: This is why I despise dealerships