Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stole this from the 996 forum.. what DON'T you like about your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
The lack of auto headlights bugs me too. But I'm over it. Still, they put this feature in the 2004 Cayenne. Why did they cheap out on the 911?

The notchy 2nd gear shift also bugs me. Apparently this is extremely common, if not universal for the manual transmission. But come on. On a $100K car? A Toyota Corolla doesn't have this issue.
That's because a Corolla has, like, 130 horsepower.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:12 PM
ddrxdd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PJorgen
This may very well be a myth in that Porsche was making cars with the ignition on the left well before they got into racing. Long discussion on this in the 993 forum.
Got it straight from the horse's mouth last week....visited the Porsche museum outside of Stuttgart. Left side ignition was mentioned in the big Le Mans anniversary display. It was to gain the advantage at the beginning of the race.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JD911
The thing I'd like to change is the middle-aged, out of shape guy that mostly only gets to drive it to and from work and lacks the skill to drive it like it was meant to be driven!
Without that buying demographic, Porsche wouldn't sell any 911's.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

I love my car, but like any great love it has it's moments - more like niggles
- The whole not being able to open the frunk when the battery discharges
- The odd rattle and hum that shouldn't be there
- The oil consumption and the lack of a dipstick
- Some ergonomic issues - weird auto window down, PCM software etc.
- Cheap centre console and window switch surrounds
Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 PM
autovon
AutoX

Have just had mine a few weeks (09 C4S with only 13K miles) but wish it had an extended warranty. Gonna brave it for a while and just set aside that would-be monthly payment and see how the numbers work out. And I'm gonna drive it!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddrxdd
Got it straight from the horse's mouth last week....visited the Porsche museum outside of Stuttgart. Left side ignition was mentioned in the big Le Mans anniversary display. It was to gain the advantage at the beginning of the race.
Interestingly the 904 GTS had the key on the right, so did the 550, 718, RS60-61, and several other Le Mans Porsche's. As I understand it Porsche started the left handed key thing around 1963, but the race organizers did away with the Le Mans Start in 1970. It was my understanding most cars were left in 1st gear anyway, so having the right hand free to put the car in gear makes no sense. Besides which Stirling Moss came up with a faster way to start the vehicle anyway.

Quick Reply: Stole this from the 996 forum.. what DON'T you like about your 997?